Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Has Paramount ever addressed the poor CSI releases?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-06, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back when CSI season 1 came out, I was annoyed that there were no important features like a "play all" selection, chapter breaks (correction - scene selection) or subtitles. I thought that maybe it was a freshman mistake by Paramount, and that future releases would include these features... but here we are on season 5, and still nothing. At this point, I believe that someone deserves to be fired for this type of gross oversight. Has Paramount ever said why these features are not included, when they are standards on all but the cheapest of DVD's these days?

*EDIT*

I started this thread to ask a question. Not to have a debate about the perceived worthiness of these features. Whether you think they're worthwhile or not, they are standard on almost any other release.

Last edited by MovieExchange; 06-26-06 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-26-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
I think this applies to all Paramount TV on DVD releases. They just want to crank out the product as inexpensively as possible in order for bigger profits. Many of their TV on DVD releases have no extras like Charmed, Walker Texas Ranger and 7th Heaven let alone subtitles and chapter selections. So at least be glad they are giving the CSI's some kind of respectable treatment.
Old 06-26-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would you re-buy them if they re-released these sets with those features? Is it worth all that to you?
Old 06-26-06, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm so impressed by the anamorphic picture and 5.1 sound, that chapter selections / subtitles aren't even on my radar.

Besides, there may not be any scene selection menus, but the chapters are there -not giving them names shouldn't make all the difference.

I am glad they are closed captioned, which I personally find better than subtitles because they tend to be more accurate.

One question, though - where the hell is the rumored widescreen re-release of season 1? it's been about 2 years or so.
Old 06-26-06, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Would you re-buy them if they re-released these sets with those features? Is it worth all that to you?
You mean would I finally buy them if those features were present? Yes, I would. Don't assume things next time.
Old 06-26-06, 08:20 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
Season 1 aside, the CSI releases are among the best out there, as far as TV on DVD is concerned. The audio/video quality is outstanding, and the extras are nothing to gawk at, either. The "Play All" function is nice to have, yes, but it's easily made up for by the aforementioned factors.
Old 06-26-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Don't assume things next time.
How is asking a legitimate question making an assumption? Unless you're making assumptions yourself.
Old 06-26-06, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Back when CSI season 1 came out, I was annoyed that there were no important features like a "play all" selection, chapter breaks or subtitles. I thought that maybe it was a freshman mistake by Paramount, and that future releases would include these features... but here we are on season 5, and still nothing. At this point, I believe that someone deserves to be fired for this type of gross oversight. Has Paramount ever said why these features are not included, when they are standards on all but the cheapest of DVD's these days?
For me, I can't think of one time that I have ever used the play all feature or turned on subtitles... Well, there was that one time in the air that forgot my good headphones and was stuck with the shitty airline headphones that were useless and had to turn on subtitles... The only time I use chapter breaks is to skip past the intro of the show (although Paramount is horrible at being consistent at putting the chapter break after the intro, so I usually end up fast forwarding anyways). If you are talking about scene selection (not sure if you were), I can't think of one time that I have ever used scene selection either. There's the great debate on whether these items should even be called "features".

Anyhoo, I'm sure you have your reasons why you really need those things (I know subtitles are important to a lot of people), and I think these are things that should just be standard on DVD's, but personally I would be virtually uneffected by these missing "features".

If they ever re-release Season 1 in anamorphic widescreen, I will probably pick up all the sets.
Old 06-26-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vipper II
Season 1 aside, the CSI releases are among the best out there, as far as TV on DVD is concerned. The audio/video quality is outstanding, and the extras are nothing to gawk at, either. The "Play All" function is nice to have, yes, but it's easily made up for by the aforementioned factors.
High audio / video quality is for people with high end systems. For Joe Average with a normal TV and DVD player, it doesn't make a lick of difference.

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
How is asking a legitimate question making an assumption? Unless you're making assumptions yourself.
No, it was not a legitimate question. It was an attempt to trivialize my post by implying (incorrectly) that I already owned the season sets.
Old 06-26-06, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Editing this into the original post as well - I started this thread to ask a question, not to have people chime in and try to debate with me if these features are worthy of having.
Old 06-26-06, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I'm so impressed by the anamorphic picture and 5.1 sound, that chapter selections / subtitles aren't even on my radar.

One question, though - where the hell is the rumored widescreen re-release of season 1? it's been about 2 years or so.
I saw a used copy of CSI Season 1 in widescreen at the local EB Games

Thanks for reminding me to pick it up tomorrow
Old 06-27-06, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They made an excuse when they first came out. The excuse was that they only distributed the discs and the way they came was the way they got them. I called them on it at the time by pointing out that they were the same company but Mr. Blythe didn't respond....wonder why?
Old 06-27-06, 11:34 AM

High audio / video quality is for people with high end systems. For Joe Average with a normal TV and DVD player, it doesn't make a lick of difference.
Never assume that.

It certainly makes a difference to me, and I am either barely average or below it.
Old 06-27-06, 10:07 PM

Complaining about lack of a 'Play All' feature, but saying video/audio quality doesn't make a lick of difference?????? Is this a joke?