Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD/BR just effected my decision on about $350 of DVDs to order

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

HD/BR just effected my decision on about $350 of DVDs to order

Old 06-08-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are no (or very few) displays capable of 1080p right now.

Regardless, whenever the format war has a clear winner, and the second format is officially dead (and it has to be), then I'll start thinking of getting into it. But by then the HVD format will probably be close to launch...
Old 06-08-06, 05:32 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I suppose if your hardware can support BluRay etc then waiting maybe good. Unfortunately double/tripple dipping will always happen regardless of what format you're into.
Old 06-08-06, 05:39 PM
boe
Suspended

Originally Posted by jmj713
WOW - Have you left the house in the last year? There are MANY from several major manufacturers in many formats - DLP, Plasma, LCOS, LCD...
Old 06-08-06, 05:55 PM

My HP 6580 that I bought in February accepts 1080p.
Old 06-08-06, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am waiting until the dust settles. I have to say that watching a standard DVD can pale a bit to its HD counterpart. That being said, however, it is odd that when I go to the movies, the backgrounds are not that sharp, like on HD. They look more like SD DVDs. Crazy!!
Old 06-08-06, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jmj713
Umm... no, there are actually quite a few. I wouldn't exactly say it's the norm yet. But it isn't anywhere near as rare as you think.
Old 06-08-06, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boe
I could be mistakend but I believe the BR players are spec'd for 1080p - even on the first generation.
And BD players are double the price and keep getting delayed. I'm sure the 2nd-generation Toshiba player will output 1080p.
Old 06-09-06, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
And BD players are double the price and keep getting delayed. I'm sure the 2nd-generation Toshiba player will output 1080p.
I also heard it might be possible for the 1st gen to do 1080p with a firmware update.
Old 06-09-06, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by bdhart
The HD DVD's are recorded in 1080p, but the players only output 1080i.
It's totally irrelevant anyways. Read the "What about 1080P" section:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=21310

"Unfortunately many folks are confusing 1080i acquisition with 1080i transmission. The primary reason we get interlacing artifacts in a 480i, 576i, or 1080i signal is that the frame was originally captured in interlaced format, with the odd scan lines and even scan lines being recorded at two different moments in time. When you reassemble two fields that are offset in time, you get jaggies, moire patterns, barber pole effects, and line twitter. That is not true of either HD DVD or Blu-ray film transfers since the image is scanned progressively from a film frame that represents a single moment in time.

Therefore we would expect to see none of the common evidence of deinterlacing when watching HD DVD or Blu-ray movies that are being transmitted via 1080i. Our first look at HD DVD in 1080i confirms this expectation. After hours of viewing three different HD DVD movies there is simply no evidence of any artifact that might be attributed to the fact that the signal was transmitted in 1080i format. The picture is as clean, stable, and as artifact-free as it could be. There is no visible defect in the image that would be eliminated by switching to 1080p transmission."
Old 06-09-06, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 105 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by marty888
I'd prefer watching movies I enjoy to sitting in pain.
LOL exactly.

Kind of like waiting for price drops. Yeah, if I waited 3-5 years I could have had the X-Files at about 1/2 of what I paid, but I also got to enjoy them for an extra 3-5 years. I'm OK with that.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 06-09-06 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-09-06, 11:58 PM

The HD DVD's are recorded in 1080p, but the players only output 1080i.

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw
It's totally irrelevant anyways. Read the "What about 1080P" section:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=21310
Irrelevant?

Only since you are taking my statement completely out of context of what I was responding to.
Old 06-11-06, 09:32 PM

Irrelevant?
Yes, irrelevant. The whole conversation was about the differences between HD and BR, and some implicit 'BR will be better because of 1080p' and 'Wait until the second generation for 1080p' stuff.

Since the picture is the same, the fact it's "only" 1080i is irrelevant.
Old 06-11-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by boe
I buy DVDs for the most part about twice a year due to a certain sale many of us wait for. I had a tad over $750 worth of DVDs in my wish list(before the discount). After thinking about it, I pulled almost half out as they would be better in a high definition format - e.g. Underworld Evoloution, NCIS, etc.

I didn't think things like Family Guy and or MST would benefit that much from the new format although they would at least take up less space (decisions, decisions). So, I left those in my order list.

Even though I have no intention of buying an HD/BR DVD player until they have DTS HD and TrueHD, they new media is effecting my purchases. Waiting for more hybrid players that are feature rich will probably delay my purchases for at least a year. It is painful to wait for so many movies and tv shows I want but well worth it for me since I've double dipped on far too many DVDs in the past.
good for you! I'm in the same boat with the exception that I already have the HD player- but I know certain titles will be getting released soon (like The Searchers or Dirty Dozen)- and I know exactly how you feel right now. Its tough to pass up a good sale, but a little self control is something to be proud of, not second guessed.
Your reward will be even more satisfaction down the road.

in the meantime, get a month of netflix and rent any titles you haven't seen yet. $20 vs $350, when you would just want to upgrade them at some point anyway, seems like a no brainer to me.
Old 06-12-06, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Its tough to pass up a good sale, but a little self control is something to be proud of, not second guessed.
Your reward will be even more satisfaction down the road.
Like many others here, I've been waiting for Blade Runner for the past 9 years. Now I'm almost 10 years older than when I started with DVDs & still no new copy of Blade Runner. Satisfaction down the road? Sometimes it's better to enjoy what is available now.
Old 06-12-06, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Class316
Yea I'm going to sit out the format war. Not worth the $$

When we have a winner and a burner for PC, then I'll worry about it.
Agreed, this is a total non issue for me.

I love my theater and my dvd's.
Old 06-12-06, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Clockwork
Like many others here, I've been waiting for Blade Runner for the past 9 years. Now I'm almost 10 years older than when I started with DVDs & still no new copy of Blade Runner. Satisfaction down the road? Sometimes it's better to enjoy what is available now.
not sure I uderstand your point here. there was a version of Blade Runner available for most of those 9 years on dvd- It just sucked (quality wise). Soon you'll be getting BR done up like Anchor Bay did Dawn Of The Dead 2 years back, with a quickie movie only release (which should also be on HD) to tide you over for a few months until the Ultimate Edition comes out 6-12 months later.

I'll porbably pick up the first HD version and then sell it off when the big set comes (assuming that is also released intact on HD).

I actually didn't phrase my first post correctly-
Exercising a little restraint now in regards to spending on this sale means you will be rewarded that much sooner. that $350 you might spend will go quite a ways towards either system. Well, quite a ways towards one format and just a part of the way towards the other