DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

X-Men 3 - Arad Confirms Extended Edition DVD

Old 06-02-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
I agree. The theatrical releases are pretty much trailers for the DVD.
I disagree, extended editions nowadays are just marketing gimmicks and the extra footage is usually not that great.
Old 06-02-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope this comes with a mail in offer to get a box to hold the trilogy, but probably not likely. Also, may be difficult depending on if you have x1 or x1.5.
Old 06-02-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What was after the credits in X3? I forgot to wait and see...
Old 06-02-06, 01:02 PM
LiK

man, i hope they include scenes that had more character development. the movie was good but not nearly as good as Singer's versions. i'm hoping this DVD won't be gimmicky where extended means 1 minute of extra crap...
Old 06-02-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Remember Dr. Moira McTaggart?
Spoiler:
The man who was never conscious, that Xavier was talking about with the students ("would it be ethical for a father of four with cancer to transfer his personailty into this healthy body") moves and says "Moira..." in Charles' voice. Moira, exasperated, just says "Charles"

That Ratner! Not ONE but TWO cliffhangers! Hot diggity, they do that in soap operas too.
Old 06-02-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From thexverse.com

Looks like Ratner and Arad aren't in agreement:

Brett Ratner's X-Men: TLS DVD Plans Wednesday, May 31st, 2006

According to Comics Continuum, Brett Ratner says he's been building on his behind-the-scenes material for the eventual X-Men: The Last Stand DVD for a while, and that he's put together a two-hour documentary about helming the film already.

"It wasn't like EPK (electronic press kit) crews coming by and filming me going, 'Oh, today we're filming the...' It was an in-depth making of the movie."

Ratner also says that the DVD will contain deleted scenes, but not an extended cut of the film, because the footage he wanted in made it into the movie.
Old 06-02-06, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by phraseturner
from a thread @ originaltrilogy.com posted by "crazyrabbits", just cut and pasted. interesting!

...There have been reports of different "secret scenes" being played after the final credits roll.
I couldn't find the thread there. Does "crazyrabbits" have proof these "secret scene" reports are anything more than whimsical fanfic?
Old 06-02-06, 05:11 PM

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/mes...&threadid=5521
Old 06-02-06, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Do any of these extended versions EVER make movies better??
LOTR?
Old 06-02-06, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by d2cheer
http://www.superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=4307
Old 06-02-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wouldn't go that far as B&R was an all around terrible movie.
Comparing X3 to Batman and Robin should be illegal. Batman and Robin is an abomination. X3 isn't even close.
Old 06-03-06, 12:07 AM
Banned by request

X3 is definitely the Batman Forever of the series, with the exception that Batman Forever still managed to be entertaining, even as it stripped the substance from the series. X3 was just painful about it.

As for the extended cut, none of those added scenes sound like anything worthwhile, except the Colussus/Juggernaut fight. I would love to see an in-depth making of the film, because maybe then they could explain why the second half of the film drops almost everything that had been built up during the first half, and why they dropped the Phoenix firebird.
Old 06-03-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm there!
Old 06-05-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll get it. And if the extended version is substantial enough, I'll get that too.

I actually though this third film was no better or worse than the previous two. The first film felt extremely rushed and that's why a lot of us were disappointed when the 1.5 didn't deliver what was promised and X2 had terrible pacing issues. The sequence at the damn should have been the grand climax of the second film but, once the protagonists got there, the film seemed to grind to a halt. Sure there were some fun set pieces (Mystique beating the crap out of the soldiers, Wolverine vs. Deathstrike, Jean vs. Scott, etc.) but none of them really flowed together all that well. It just felt suddenly episodic and actually sucked out a great deal of the film's momentum.

All three are flawed but still quite enjoyable. None could ever be considered the best of the superhero genre, though.

Last edited by RocShemp; 06-05-06 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-05-06, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp

All three are flawed but still quite enjoyable. None could ever be considered the best of the superhero genre, though.
yah think?... I personally loved X2, given the luckwarm reviews of X3 - it's kind of scared me off and just wait to see it on video.
Old 06-05-06, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I disagree, extended editions nowadays are just marketing gimmicks and the extra footage is usually not that great.
Very, very untrue. As others have pointed out in this thread, LOTR, Kingdom of Heaven, Elektra, and Pearl Harbor are all examples of movies that have had noticeably better extended editions.

So-called "unrated" editions, however, have been totally useless, and exist only as 'marketing gimmicks'.
Old 06-06-06, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Terrell
Comparing X3 to Batman and Robin should be illegal. Batman and Robin is an abomination. X3 isn't even close.
I agree...I just haven't revised my original post. I like the comparison to Batman Forever better...a movie with LOTS of missed potential. With that, please consider my previous post amended.
Old 06-06-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally I think of X3 as more in line with Return of the Jedi in that the second movie was so great at setting up the grand showdown for part 3, the results turned out not so great (though I enjoyed Jedi, Ewoks and all).

I'd love to see an extended edition of X3, to me the movie felt very rushed and they just went from one scene to another without giving us time to connect with the characters like X1 and X2 did.
Old 06-06-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's probably the best analogy I've seen yet. That sums up my feelings pretty well.

I didn't hate (or even dislike) X3, but it wasn't in the same league as the other 2. Sort of like RotJ.

Still, it was enjoyable enough that I'll give it a spin on DVD every now and then. I'll pick up the disc when it comes out (extended or otherwise).
Old 06-10-06, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giles
yah think?... I personally loved X2, given the luckwarm reviews of X3 - it's kind of scared me off and just wait to see it on video.
I loved it until the sequence at the dam. As I said before, from that point onward the individual sequences (while cool on their own) didn't seem to flow all that well together. Still, I think the first film and this latest one are in the greatest need of retooling. So I guess X2 is the best of all three but not greatly so.