Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sony out of MGM's back catalog, 20th Century Fox in

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 249 Likes on 176 Posts
The article mentions that Fox already distributes MGM/ua product overseas. Are the new R2 releases of the Bond films being handled by Fox already? Third part distribution is mentioned. Wonder if MGM/UA titles might show up on Anchor Bay since they are already distributing Fox titles. Interesting.
Old 05-31-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
now can we please have a Special Edition of Billy Wilder's The Apartment?!
Old 05-31-06, 10:01 PM

great news, Sony didn't seem interested in releasing any of MGMs back catalogue.
Old 05-31-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder - are there any good MGM titles that could be added to the excellent "Fox Film Noir" series?

Oh, and I agree with other posters - let's get the Midnite Movies series back on track!
Old 05-31-06, 10:43 PM

well this makes me wonder if Sony had anything to do with any of MGM's current releases, other than distributing them for MGM. Was Sony behind the GUYS AND DOLLS restoration or MGM? Is MGM still behind pulling titles out of their vast vault or Sony or Fox? Or is it the bean-counters of the consortium that think they know which titles the public wants and selecting those titles?

Will Fox now try to restore IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD or THE ALAMO or THE APARTMENT or is that still up to the MGM board?

Too many questions...any answers?
Old 06-01-06, 11:00 AM
boe
Suspended

The Soldier

The only MGM title I'm waiting for is The Soldier - 1982 - got released overseas Le Soldat - not sure if the reason it wasn't released here was the Sony/Fox distribution thingy.
Old 06-01-06, 02:59 PM

This distribution deal isn't going to make a scrap of difference. MGM will decide what titles get released on DVD and they will decide what effort they put into each individual release, which is usually not much when it comes to back catalogue titles. Let's face it, MGM has been one of the worst studios, apart from the occasional major title for which they make a big effort, such as the Bond films. As a previous post said, Fox has distributed MGM DVD titles in other regions for many years (and you have to look very closely at the small print to spot that) but they clearly have no input on titles or quality.
Old 08-19-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

------------- moved from the other thread------------------

Couldn't find a thread on Fox's aquistion of the MGM catalog for distribution...taken away from Sony. I have noticed that many here were still uninformed on this, though many came to find out about it in the Fish Called Wanda thread. So this thread can used to be cheer or jeer Fox & Sony, as well as discuss the possibility of Criterion re-issues, since Fox and Criterion do work together from time to time.

Not sure on who holds the keys to liscening MGM through Fox... If someone at MGM makes the calls, or if this is a Lucasfilm/Fox kind of thing.

Also I had heard rumor that Sony kept the Bond films out of the deal, but that is unconfirmed. This could explain the lack of timing in announcing the Bond SE's....

Criterions from Orion/MGM that are OOP
Silence of the Lambs
Robocop
This Is Spinal Tap
Sid & Nancy
How To Get Ahead In Advertising
The Unbearable Lightness of Being (Warner now has this one)
Dead Ringers (Warner now has this one)

other notes of interest with MGM/Sony/Fox deals

original dvd talk thread: Sony roars....

A Fish Called Wanda: SE -- March 14th

MGM Moving Domestic Distribution to Fox

Resurgence at MGM -Hollywood Reporter Article

The original Sony Aquistion

DVD File distribution Master List -not updated in a while

James Bond: Ultimate Collections - Due 11/7/06

old Yahoo news article (link now dead) copied & pasted

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. on Tuesday unveiled new plans to revitalize the movie studio by ending video and DVD distribution pacts with Sony Pictures Entertainment and reestablishing a TV sales division.
ADVERTISEMENT
[Click Here!] [Click Here!]

MGM said it signed a new worldwide video and DVD distribution pact with 20th Century Fox to consolidate sales efforts under one company. Previously MGM split video and DVD distribution between Fox overseas and Sony in domestic arenas.

For Sony, MGM's decision cuts both ways. Sony's home video business will lose lucrative distribution fees it would have earned for releasing titles from MGM's library of 4,000 movies and 10,000 TV episodes. However, Sony will benefit if MGM makes more money because Sony owns 20 percent of the company.
Old 08-19-06, 03:50 PM

Or is it the bean-counters of the consortium that think they know which titles the public wants and selecting those titles?
BING! BING! BING!

What's you prize? More frustration!

fitprod
Old 08-19-06, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think MGM before the Sony deal was pretty damn good with catalog releases. Why does every dvd need to have extra features? Give me a good audio and visual transfer,the trailer and a nice affordable price and I'm happy.

Occasionally they would make a mistake(non-16.9,cut prints), but more often than naught. They were releasing many uncut prints than any other major studio of films that are not that mainstream/popular. What other studio would have restored Howling 2 of all films for example?
Old 08-19-06, 07:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I think MGM before the Sony deal was pretty damn good with catalog releases. Why does every dvd need to have extra features? Give me a good audio and visual transfer,the trailer and a nice affordable price and I'm happy.

Occasionally they would make a mistake(non-16.9,cut prints), but more often than naught. They were releasing many uncut prints than any other major studio of films that are not that mainstream/popular. What other studio would have restored Howling 2 of all films for example?
I partially agree with your assesesment. MGM was good, but not as good as they could have been. They were one of the first culprits of re-releasing their Special Editions with the same UPC and cover art but without the extras, shafting both retailers and consumers with inferior products for no reason.