Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

John Wayne - John Ford Film Collection (10 DVDs) - any details?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

John Wayne - John Ford Film Collection (10 DVDs) - any details?

Old 05-30-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

John Wayne - John Ford Film Collection - The Searchers - any details?

If I missed an earlier discussion about this, please point me to the thread. I tried searching first (which took me to Google instead of the old Advanced Search screen), and I couldn't find anything.

Does anyone know any details about the "John Wayne-John Ford Film Collection"? It contains 10 DVDs with the following 8 movies:

The Searchers Ultimate Edition (2 DVDs)
Stagecoach Special Edition (2 DVDs)
Fort Apache
The Long Voyage Home
The Wings of Eagles
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
They Were Expendable
3 Godfathers

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...v=glance&n=130

I know The Searchers and Stagecoach are new SEs. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and They Were Expendable already exist on DVD. 3 Godfathers was recently released as a Target exclusive until now, and the other 3 are first time DVD releases.

Does anyone know if She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and They Were Expendable are the same old DVDs and transfers as before?

To further confuse me, The Searchers has a 2-DVD Collector's Edition and 2-DVD Ultimate Edition listed on Amazon, yet there is no Ultimate Edition on DVD Price Search. Instead it shows a 2-DVD 50th Anniversary Edition. Are there multiple releases of The Searchers on June 6th?

From what I can gather from:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

for $10 more you get a bunch of printed material in the Ultimate Edition. Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

Unfortunately I couldn't find any good information about the upcoming John Wayne-John Ford set after searching on Google. All I can find are old reviews of the already existing releases on DVD-Basen, but I don't know if those reviews apply.

Last edited by Manzana; 05-30-06 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-30-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....ght=wayne+ford

This is the thread I remember. I beleive SWAYR, TWE, 3 godfathers are the same as the old releases. I do not think the other 3 were released before but I may be wrong. And the 2 SE's of the Searchers and Stagecoach are new.
Old 05-30-06, 12:33 PM

Details from DVD Times

What little discussion there's been on this forum is contained in this thread (which, I agree, isn't easy to find using the Search function).
Old 05-30-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
$17.99 at Circuit City for The Searchers during that timeframe.

Best Buy is not even listing it. (What a shame.... )

These large corporations think no one is interested in classic westerns.
Old 05-30-06, 02:25 PM
Cool New Member

Bottom line:

Warner has done the correct thing for collector's. The beautiful ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION of The Searchers is indeed included in the WAYNE/FORD boxed set. As single items, both the 2 disc SE and the Collector's Edition have the same disc content. The Ultimate Collector's Edition has a free poster mail-in, rare stills, a repro of the 1956 pressbook and comic book. STAGECOACH is remastered (although I assume it will still be sub-par due to the lack of anything close to original elements on this title, a subject that has been painfully documented since the 1970s). That 2 disc set also has the phenomenal WAYNE/FORD American Masters docu that aired a few weeks ago and is in 16x9 (confirmed by Robert Harris on another site).
FORT APACHE, WINGS OF EAGLES (16x9) and LONG VOYAGE HOME are all new masters and LVH is a longer version than we usually see. THREE GODFATHERS is the same disc that was exclusively available at Target last Xmas. YELLOW RIBBON and EXPENDABLE are the same discs (excellent ones at that) previously available in horrific snappers, now nicely put into keepcases.

The boxed set is the bargain of the year.....and the movies are great, too!
Old 05-31-06, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for the help, everyone!

I read those other threads and they gave enough details. My only worry now is whether I will like some of the movies I haven't seen: They Were Expendable, Long Voyage Home, Wings of Eagles, and Fort Apache would be blind buys. I've flipped by She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and Stagecoach on TCM or AMC, but have never seen the whole thing because I couldn't sustain enough interest.

I really like John Wayne as an actor/personality, but some of his older movies are too boring for me, such as Island in the Sky. I just barely made it through High and the Mighty and Sands of Iwo Jima without falling asleep. I hope these ones I haven't seen are more interesting. Of course buying The Searchers and 3 Godfathers separately would be about half the cost of buying the whole set. It's a tough decision.

I really like Big Jake, Rio Bravo, Rio Lobo, The Comancheros, McLintock, Chisum, Cahill, The Quiet Man, 3 Godfathers, and The Searchers.

By the way, without me having to study and compare John Ford/John Wayne's filmographies, does anyone know off hand which John Ford/John Wayne movies this set is missing, if any?
Old 05-31-06, 02:35 AM

Wayne appeared in seven of Ford's early Fox films in minor roles and without billing. Beginning with Stagecoach, he starred in 14 films directed by John Ford (only nine of these are Westerns). So 6 of their 14 films together are missing from the upcoming box set.

1928 Four Sons (Fox) [Wayne: Extra/uncredited]
1928 Hangman's House (Fox) [Wayne: Extra/uncredited]
1928 Mother Machree (Fox) [Wayne: Extra/uncredited]
1929 The Black Watch (Fox) [Wayne: Extra/uncredited]
1929 Salute (Fox) [Wayne: Extra/uncredited]
1930 Born Reckless (Fox) [Wayne: Extra/uncredited]
1930 Men Without Women (Fox) [Wayne: Extra/uncredited]
----------------------------------------------------------------
1939 Stagecoach* (Walter Wanger/Warner Home Video) [Wayne: first starring role for Ford]
1940 The Long Voyage Home* (Walter Wanger/WHV)
1945 They Were Expendable* (MGM/WHV)
1948 3 Godfathers* (Argosy/RKO/WHV)
1948 Fort Apache* (Argosy/MGM/WHV)
1949 She Wore a Yellow Ribbon* (Argosy/RKO/WHV)
1950 Rio Grande (Argosy/Republic/Paramount)
1952 The Quiet Man (Argosy/Republic/Paramount)
1956 The Searchers* (Warner)
1957 The Wings of Eagles* (MGM/WHV)
1959 The Horse Soldiers (Mahin-Rackin/United Artists/MGM/Fox)
1962 How the West Was Won (MGM/WHV) [Ford only directed one of the three episodes; the other two were directed by Henry Hathaway and George Marshall]
1962 The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Paramount)
1963 Donovan's Reef (Paramount)

* = contained in John Wayne - John Ford Film Collection box set (Warner Home Video)

Though its reputation may have fallen somewhat over the years, personally, I think Stagecoach is a nearly perfect Western--even better than The Searchers in my book. My vote for the crème de la crème of the Ford-Wayne collaboration would be:

Stagecoach*
Fort Apache*, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon*, and Rio Grande (The "Cavalry" Trilogy)
The Quiet Man
The Searchers*
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

In addition, Jonathan Rosenbaum makes a good case for The Long Voyage Home* (which I haven't seen).

With four (or five) of these eight films being essential, this box set is a no-brainer for me.

Last edited by FilmFanSea; 05-31-06 at 02:47 AM.
Old 05-31-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

excellent summary FilmFanSea....thanks for all the info!
Old 06-03-06, 03:41 PM

DVD Savant has written a rave review for this essential set for all Ford and/or Wayne fans. Anxious for my pre-order to arrive.
Old 06-03-06, 11:14 PM

It's now listed on Bestbuy.com for 55.99
link
Old 06-04-06, 07:34 PM

I highly recommend the review for The Searchers: Ultimate Collector's Edition at DVD Journal. It is very thorough.

http://www.dvdjournal.com/reviews/s/...ers_50ae.shtml

It is a significant counterpoint to the absurd review at DVDMG.

http://www.dvdmg.com/searchersanniversary.shtml
Old 06-06-06, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by FilmFanSea
Wayne appeared in seven of Ford's early Fox films in minor roles and without billing. Beginning with Stagecoach, he starred in 14 films directed by John Ford (only nine of these are Westerns). So 6 of their 14 films together are missing from the upcoming box set.

1928 Four Sons (Fox) [Wayne: Extra/uncredited]
1928 Hangman's House (Fox) [Wayne: Extra/uncredited]
1928 Mother Machree (Fox) [Wayne: Extra/uncredited]
1929 The Black Watch (Fox) [Wayne: Extra/uncredited]
1929 Salute (Fox) [Wayne: Extra/uncredited]
1930 Born Reckless (Fox) [Wayne: Extra/uncredited]
1930 Men Without Women (Fox) [Wayne: Extra/uncredited]
----------------------------------------------------------------
1939 Stagecoach* (Walter Wanger/Warner Home Video) [Wayne: first starring role for Ford]
1940 The Long Voyage Home* (Walter Wanger/WHV)
1945 They Were Expendable* (MGM/WHV)
1948 3 Godfathers* (Argosy/RKO/WHV)
1948 Fort Apache* (Argosy/MGM/WHV)
1949 She Wore a Yellow Ribbon* (Argosy/RKO/WHV)
1950 Rio Grande (Argosy/Republic/Paramount)
1952 The Quiet Man (Argosy/Republic/Paramount)
1956 The Searchers* (Warner)
1957 The Wings of Eagles* (MGM/WHV)
1959 The Horse Soldiers (Mahin-Rackin/United Artists/MGM/Fox)
1962 How the West Was Won (MGM/WHV) [Ford only directed one of the three episodes; the other two were directed by Henry Hathaway and George Marshall]
1962 The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Paramount)
1963 Donovan's Reef (Paramount)

* = contained in John Wayne - John Ford Film Collection box set (Warner Home Video)

Though its reputation may have fallen somewhat over the years, personally, I think Stagecoach is a nearly perfect Western--even better than The Searchers in my book. My vote for the crème de la crème of the Ford-Wayne collaboration would be:

Stagecoach*
Fort Apache*, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon*, and Rio Grande (The "Cavalry" Trilogy)
The Quiet Man
The Searchers*
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

In addition, Jonathan Rosenbaum makes a good case for The Long Voyage Home* (which I haven't seen).

With four (or five) of these eight films being essential, this box set is a no-brainer for me.
I have to say that I usually love your comments. You really seem like you know what you're talking about. Or you're a good researcher but either way, I enjoy you.
Old 06-06-06, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kerborus
I have to say that I usually love your comments. You really seem like you know what you're talking about. Or you're a good researcher but either way, I enjoy you.
Thanks for the kind words. Sometimes I think I know what I'm talking about, but when I double-check my facts before I post, I find I didn't have a clue.
Old 06-10-06, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I apologize for the off-topic post but just wanted to suggest that all my fellow John Wayne fans might get a kick out of the just-released "Running Scared" (2006) starring Paul Walker. I don't want to give too much away and it is just a small part of the film, but one of the characters in the film is a big fan of John Wayne.
Old 06-10-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely will be adding this set to next week's order during the DDD sale - after the 20% discount, the set costs $46.42, which is one terrific deal.
Old 06-11-06, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a wonderful set, but I actually liked the John Ford set more. I guess because none of those movies have been on DVD, whereas 5 out of the 8 in this set have already been released.
Old 06-13-06, 05:10 PM

Are people sending in the UPC from the outer box for the poster offer? I do not see a UPC on The Searchers: UE itself that came in the box set.
Old 06-13-06, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by starecase
Are people sending in the UPC from the outer box for the poster offer? I do not see a UPC on The Searchers: UE itself that came in the box set.
I haven't sent it off yet, but I clipped out an outer box one. I reckon that is right.
Old 06-14-06, 01:16 AM

About to order this for $46 and change at DDD!
Old 06-14-06, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just watched 'The Long Voyage Home' last night (box arrived Monday), and have to say, Warner did a top-notch job on this release. The print used for the transfer was the best I've ever seen!
Old 06-15-06, 03:47 AM

I'll be picking this up on Paycheck-Friday at DDD. Might as well spend $20 more than the UE of the Searchers to get another 7 films. How is the packaging on this? 8 standard discs in a cardoard box?
Old 06-15-06, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's a standard cardboard box. Sturdy enough but I wish the sales material was just a sheet of paper instead of stuck on the box. Better than the single-layer thin box that the Claude Chabrol collection came in, for example.
Old 06-15-06, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by starecase
I was able to peel the the UPC sticker off of the one they covered up that is on the box. I guess that will do. My receipt from Amazon only has a date from March when I placed the pre-order, Though. I will send it in anyways and see what happens.
Old 06-15-06, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by ernestrp
I was able to peel the the UPC sticker off of the one they covered up that is on the box. I guess that will do. My receipt from Amazon only has a date from March when I placed the pre-order, Though. I will send it in anyways and see what happens.

Thanks for the response. I also ordered from Amazon and wondered about the date as well. I will try to peel off the box UPC.
Old 06-23-06, 03:38 AM

I just bought the John Ford/John Wayne set, but it only contains 7 movies. The box is the exact same as illustrated on Warner's website, but the movie Stagecoach is not included, nor is it listed on the package. All other movies are as listed. It was bought from Walmart in Canada. I can't find any informaton on this 7 movie set anywhere on the web, nor the place where everything exists, Ebay. Can anyone shed some light?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.