DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Halloween 4 & 5: Special Editions -7/25/06

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Halloween 4 & 5: Special Editions -7/25/06

Halloween 4 & 5

In addition to the "Halloween: 25 Years of Terror" two-disc documentary we mentioned a few days ago, Anchor Bay has announced new DiviMax Special Editions of Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers and Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers. Presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic (from new high-definition transfers) and Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks, extras include audio commentaries with actresses Ellie Cornell & Danielle Harris (Halloween 4) and director Dominique Othenin-Girard, Danielle Harris and Jeffrey Landman (Halloween 5), "Halloween 4: Final Cut" and "On the Set of HALLOWEEN 5" featurettes and trailers. Both are due on July 25th and retail $19.98 apiece.

DAVISDVD.com
Old 05-26-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now if we can only get the "Producers Cut" of Halloween 6...
Old 05-27-06, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Glad I never got around to buying either of these. IV would probably be worthy of a double-dip, but V was kind of shitty and only worth one purchase to fill out the set.
Old 05-27-06, 12:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 for me, but anything past that can rot.
Old 05-27-06, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you know, i'm a fan of these...cant wait!!
Old 05-27-06, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why do the shitty movies get the best treatment?

Halloween H20 was the best sequel and was so horribly messed up on DVD.
Old 05-27-06, 01:57 AM

Now if we can only get the "Producers Cut" of Halloween 6...
As Much as I would love to see this, I highly doubt it will ever get an official release...

Glad I never got around to buying either of these. IV would probably be worthy of a double-dip, but V was kind of shitty and only worth one purchase to fill out the set.
I agree about the purchasing... something in the back of my head just said I should wait, and it paid off. But I disagree with you about part V, I thought it was just as good as part IV, but then again the last time I saw any of these movies beyond part 1 , 7, and 8 was middle school, so that could have changed since then.

Halloween H20 was the best sequel and was so horribly messed up on DVD.
It all has to do with who owns the rights to the films. If you look 'Halloween 2' which is owned by Universal (95% sure on this one), is a rather crappy DVD, so is parts 6 and H20 (both of which are owned by Disney). The first and now fourth & fifth films are the only ones with really good DVDs, but they are the only ones owned by Anchor Bay, who knows that it makes more than the film to please the fans...
Old 05-27-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I caved in, and bought Halloween 5 a year ago, but I'll probably double dip, because I love commentaries on older movies too much. Halloween 4 is a must for me. Can't wait for the commentaries, but I wish the director of 4 was involved also.
Old 05-27-06, 10:25 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Disappointing as hell...same content as the two expensive collector's tin versions I currently own, save for two new commentary tracks; whopp-de-doo, but yeah, I'll still get 'em...
Old 05-27-06, 11:56 AM

"H2O" has one of the worst audio tracks I have ever encountered. I have to boost my audio system well past where I normally go just so I can hear it properly.

That disc stinks.
Old 05-27-06, 01:02 PM

"H2O" has one of the worst audio tracks I have ever encountered. I have to boost my audio system well past where I normally go just so I can hear it properly.
Really? I've been debating about picking this one up for some time, and almost bought it today, but now that you said that I think I'll stick with my VHS copy until Disney gets around to another release.... HOpefully the release of the Ninth film next year will promt Disney to redo parts 6 and 7...
Old 05-27-06, 02:08 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by critterdvd
Really? I've been debating about picking this one up for some time, and almost bought it today, but now that you said that I think I'll stick with my VHS copy until Disney gets around to another release.... HOpefully the release of the Ninth film next year will promt Disney to redo parts 6 and 7...
At this late stage in the DVD game, no one should be buying ANY non-anamorphic discs, no matter how much they love the movie (though I accidentally broke my own rule earlier this week with NO ESCAPE; since it was made by HBO video and came out in '98, a year after their anamorphic release of TURBULENCE, I just assumed NO ESCAPE would be anamorphic, too; "ASS" out of "U" and "ME", yeah yeah, I know...).
Old 05-27-06, 05:07 PM

At this late stage in the DVD game, no one should be buying ANY non-anamorphic discs, no matter how much they love the movie (though I accidentally broke my own rule earlier this week with NO ESCAPE; since it was made by HBO video and came out in '98, a year after their anamorphic release of TURBULENCE, I just assumed NO ESCAPE would be anamorphic, too; "ASS" out of "U" and "ME", yeah yeah, I know...).
Thats a good rule for those with home theaters or bigger TVs, but Im still using a regular 20inch tv from costco and won't have the means to upgrad for years (and plus its a standard screen), so nonanamoprhic doesn't make a difference to me...
Old 05-27-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Halloween 25th Anniversay Edition -2DVD is the only movie from the series that I have [or ever had]. I'll definetly picks these up, I liked both and they go together. All I'll need to get is part 2, but I'll wait for a extras packed DVD [I HOPE!]. Fuck part 3 and don't know if I'll ever get the others, but I am a extras nut so that might change my mind.
Old 07-08-06, 04:38 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I'll be grabbing both of these....to go along with my tin versions of 4 and 5. Hopefully BB will have a sale on these.
Old 07-08-06, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Disappointing as hell...same content as the two expensive collector's tin versions I currently own, save for two new commentary tracks; whopp-de-doo, but yeah, I'll still get 'em...
There's a little more than two commentaries. Here's the final list of specs.

Halloween 4:
  • Widescreen Presentation enhanced for 16x9 TVs (new DiviMax transfer)
  • Audio Commentary with Actors Ellie Cornell and Danielle Harris (new)
  • Audio Commentary with Writer Alan B. McElroy (new)
  • HALLOWEEN 4/5 Discussion Panel (new)
  • The Making of HALLOWEEN 4: Final Cut (old)
  • Theatrical Trailer (old)

Halloween 5:
  • Widescreen Presentation enhanced for 16x9 TVs (new DiviMax transfer)
  • Audio Commentary with Director Dominique Othenin-Girard and Actors Danielle Harris and Jeffrey Landman (new)
  • Inside Halloween 5: Documentary featuring rare behind the scenes footage, a cut scene, and interviews with Danielle Harris, Ellie Cornell, Don Shanks, Executive Producer Moustapha Akkad and Cinematographer Rob Draper (old)
  • Introduction by Stars Danielle Harris and Ellie Cornell (old)
  • On-Set Halloween 5 Footage: Rare, never-before-seen footage taken on the set (new)
  • Theatrical Trailer (old)
Old 07-08-06, 07:03 PM

At this late stage in the DVD game, no one should be buying ANY non-anamorphic discs
Correction: (not criticizing you, Filmmaker, just making a point.)

At this late stage in the DVD game, no studio should be releasing ANY non-anamorphic discs. Actually, the studios should have stopped churning out non-anamorphic DVDs like 5 years ago or so. There's no good reason for releasing anything non-anamorphic. Halloween 6 and 7 should have gotten new DVD releases YEARS AGO. If they don't want to release them with extras, fine. At least give them 16x9 enhanced transfers though. I guess Dimension's never going to do it though, seeing as it's been so long already. Halloween II doesn't bother me near as much. Yeah, it sucks that there aren't any extras, but at least Universal gave it 16x9 enhancement.
Old 07-08-06, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^
Agreed. But...

I've got two words for you: Region Free

I've got Halloween 6 + 7 from the UK. Both 16x9.
Old 07-08-06, 08:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by L Chabert Lover
Correction: (not criticizing you, Filmmaker, just making a point.)
Not so much a correction, since you are arguing a completely seperate, but no less valid, issue. Let's consider it an addendum.
Old 07-09-06, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by L Chabert Lover
Halloween 6 and 7 should have gotten new DVD releases YEARS AGO. If they don't want to release them with extras, fine. At least give them 16x9 enhanced transfers though. I guess Dimension's never going to do it though, seeing as it's been so long already.
Don't be too quick with that conclusion. With Rob Zombie planning his entry in the world of Michael Myers next year, Dimension might get themselves in gear and prepare special editions of both films to coincide. Good opportunity, if they have any thought of that at all.

--THX
Old 07-09-06, 03:25 AM

I'm still waiting for the H20 commentary they promised us.
Old 07-09-06, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is what they NEED to do for H20:

- hi-def 16x9 transfer
- the DTS track that was promised
- an audio track featuring John Ottman's ORIGINAL score
- the Miner/Curtis commentary that was promised
- features on the making of the film
- ALL of the deleted footage (and believe me, as H20 was my event film of 98, I know there are a TON of deleted scenes)
- "What's This Life For" music video
- promotional gallery with every teaser and trailer that was created and photo galleries

The Curse of Michael Myers can rot, unless they decide to do a 2-disc with both cuts of the film.
Old 07-09-06, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
The Curse of Michael Myers can rot, unless they decide to do a 2-disc with both cuts of the film.
Since the Weinsteins are out of Miramax, I hope to God that this can finally happen now. Same goes for a whole slew of other films they butchered during their tenure there.
Old 07-09-06, 08:55 AM

Not so much a correction, since you are arguing a completely seperate, but no less valid, issue. Let's consider it an addendum.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
Don't be too quick with that conclusion. With Rob Zombie planning his entry in the world of Michael Myers next year, Dimension might get themselves in gear and prepare special editions of both films to coincide. Good opportunity, if they have any thought of that at all.
It could happen, but I'm not holding my breath. They had that same opportunity in 2002 when Halloween 8: Resurrection was released, but failed to deliver. At least Halloween 8 got a good DVD.
Old 07-09-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Since the Weinsteins are out of Miramax, I hope to God that this can finally happen now. Same goes for a whole slew of other films they butchered during their tenure there.
coughHellraiser: Bloodlinecough

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.