DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Local Sightings: [Collectible/Hard to Find ..] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/466860-local-sightings-%5Bcollectible-hard-find-%5D.html)

visitor Q 05-26-06 07:27 PM

Local Sightings: [Collectible/Hard to Find ..]

Alright, this may be a bad idea. If so, it will soon be buried on page 50 somewhere. With that in mind, I'm giving it a try anyway. Though, I'm not 100% on which forum something like this go. Sorry if this isn't the place.

Anyway, I was going through the shelves at a local brick and mortar today and found a few titles that I know some people would be interested in, but can't readily obtain for whatever reason. They are DVDs that I already own and have no reason to pick up additional copies, so .. perhaps they may be of use to someone else who lives locally .. one, for whatever reason, who may not get involved in any extensive .. or even minimal .. online purchasing.

So, I figure, why not set up a main source (this thread) where people could post the details on interesting finds that may suit others who also may live with a reasonable driving distance.

I have thought of a few parameters that would automatically make this little trial fail, but there are also a few that could make it work. With the hours spent at sites like this, I have a general idea about the popularity of certain releases, the lack of availability of certain releases (like the recent Munich 2 Disk CE limited release of a non-limited edition) - boiled down, what might be of value to some other folks with similar collecting in mind.

So, here's the for instance:

Newbury Comics - Natick, MA

Batman Begins (Recalled Lenticular Edition) - 1 copy (used) - $20
The Big Lebowski (Achiever's Limited Edition) - 1 copy (new) - $47
Munich 2 Disk CE - 2 copies (new) - $30
Jarhead 2 Disk CE - 4 copies (new) - $35

Numes 05-26-06 08:32 PM

I think the Used DVD Treasure Hunt is semi-close to what you are proposing:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=415099

Filmmaker 05-26-06 08:39 PM

This is better because it highlights new, factory-sealed titles, and as someone who never buys used DVDs, I love it. I'm trying to secure copies of 1984 and the original cover of MONEY TRAIN as we speak, so this could be a great resource.

JimmySRU 05-27-06 09:38 AM

I have 1984 but you arent getting it

wewantflair 05-27-06 10:13 AM

Congratulations?

-screwy-

Filmmaker 05-27-06 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by JimmySRU
I have 1984 but you arent getting it

So? I have movie star sex appeal, and you aren't getting that! ;)

Harold Wazzu 05-27-06 01:14 PM

Hastings - Richland, WA
Cinderella Man 2-disc sealed 5 copies - $36.99
(I hid them incase they really do get up there in value :) )

Hastings - Kennewick, WA
Jarhead 2-disc sealed 3 copies - $32.99
Brazil Criterion set 1 copy - $49.99

Tek 05-27-06 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
This is better because it highlights new, factory-sealed titles, and as someone who never buys used DVDs, I love it. I'm trying to secure copies of 1984 and the original cover of MONEY TRAIN as we speak, so this could be a great resource.

Filmmaker... Just today, I saw several copies of "Money Train" in the $4.88 bin at my local Wal*Mart.... don't know what issue.
Give identifying particulars, and I can re-check.

Filmmaker 05-27-06 10:47 PM

Tek, no biggie at this point (and I can virtually guarantee you the edition you've found at Wal-Mart isn't the one I'm seeking), as a fellow DVDTalker is "hooking me up" with the one I want. Thanks, though...

ChrisCook 05-28-06 02:32 PM

This would work for me as well. I've been trying to find a new copy of Jamie Oliver: Oliver's Twist. It went OOP last year. Has anyone come across one?

Front cover:
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...or=1#topoftabs

Back cover:
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...or=1#topoftabs

Thanks.

Filmmaker 05-28-06 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisCook
This would work for me as well. I've been trying to find a new copy of Jamie Oliver: Oliver's Twist. It went OOP last year. Has anyone come across one?

There's a factory-sealed copy at half.com right now for $18.07.

ChrisCook 05-29-06 08:17 AM

There's a factory-sealed copy at half.com right now for $18.07.

Filmmaker, thanks for your help.

Filmmaker 05-29-06 08:26 AM

:thumbsup:

Brooklyn 06-01-06 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by visitor Q
Alright, this may be a bad idea.

I like the idea, and you're local to me so hopefully I can spot something
you might be interested in. For now all I've seen in the past week that might
be of interest to someone is Best Buy in Watertown MA had 1 copy of the
2 disc Jarhead.

PS. Be careful shopping at Newbury Comics if you're looking for Asian dvds
(I bring this up due to your posting name), far too many bootlegs.

OldBoy 06-01-06 03:59 PM

i picked up "Fletch" for free, along with "Bourne Identity" DTS version at a Gamestop. not too bad me thinks.

HistoryProf 06-01-06 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Harold Wazzu
Brazil Criterion set 1 copy - $49.99

since when is this hard to find? not too mention it's far cheaper at any number of on-line vendors.

visitor Q 06-01-06 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
PS. Be careful shopping at Newbury Comics if you're looking for Asian dvds (I bring this up due to your posting name), far too many bootlegs.

I know what you mean. That was learned the hard way by buying from them years ago when I found out who Red Sun was - a very large online bootlegger of Asian films. Newbury does a really shitty job of screening whether it be due to lack of purchasing knowledge or purposeful. Haven't figure which.

I just go there due to their selection (Criterion/cult/Asian/used) that I can't find elsewhere or to fix an impulse buy for something I can't wait for an online vendor for. These days, I generally buy specific releases anyway so as I don't get caught with bootlegs. But a big thanks for the head's up though. It may save some others from falling into that trap ...

Brooklyn 06-07-06 12:03 AM

Newbury Comics - Natick, MA

2 copies of Straw Dogs (Criterion) as part of their Criterion sale for $25 I believe.

visitor Q 06-07-06 05:46 PM

Yeah, I saw that and Fear and Loathing in LV for $25 there too. Though, that was on Monday.

Living Dead 06-07-06 06:22 PM

Today I saw 2 sealed Universal Legacy sets with the busts at a B&M for $79.99. I was a little startled to see them, as I thought they were long gone.

Mr. Cinema 06-07-06 06:27 PM

DDD has the OOP E.T. 3-Disc Limited Set in stock for $50.

bboisvert 06-07-06 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Best Buy in Watertown MA had 1 copy of the
2 disc Jarhead.

And the FYE in the Arsenal Mall across the street has 1 copy each of the 2-disc Jarhead and Cinderella Man. $39.99 each.

Brooklyn 10-10-06 11:33 PM

The Newbury Comics on Needham st in Newton MA has a new copy of Clownhouse for $8

RagingBull80 10-19-06 11:20 PM

I'm not sure if this is really news but I found two used copies of the original Maniac Cop DVD at the CD Warehouse in downtown OKC.

kevkev 10-20-06 02:28 AM

i'd buy a maniac cop off you if the disc is perfect.
even though a rerelease is planned shortly.