Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Brick -=- 7/28/06 (Joseph Gordon-Levitt)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Brick -=- 7/28/06 (Joseph Gordon-Levitt)

Old 08-02-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Whatever you do, don't watch Veronica Mars.
I love Veronica Mars. But it really can't be anything more than it is. Brick can.

Taste, it does vary, but I think this is closer in spirit to classic film noir than Sin City.
You're right, but I just used Sin City as a more contemporary example of something gritty that's in B&W.

Real "femme fetals" huh? What, Dakota Fanning?
Oops. That was a typo.
Old 08-03-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a planned hybrid DVD/HD-DVD in the works for this?

I'm still annoyed that I bought the regular edition of 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' without checking whether the HD would be hybrid.
Old 08-03-06, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rq42
Definetly one of the best movies I've seen this year!!

Looks like we're going to get a better release here in the UK (info source: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...lance&n=283926)

Audio commentary from director Rian Johnson

Deleted and extended scenes

UK exclusive interview with Rian Johnson

Nora Zehetner and Noah Segan auditions

Rian Johnson video diary (UK exclusive)

Junkyard Score: the making of the soundtrack (UK exclusive)

Costume design (UK exclusive)

Chickenscratch storyboards (UK exclusive)

The Pin's Den (music only) (UK exclusive)

Theatrical trailer
Why do the DVD designers at Focus hate us so?
Old 08-04-06, 01:50 AM

Looking FOrward to this release, Ive wanted to see this for some time now
Old 08-05-06, 01:25 PM
Suspended

So much for the review huh?
Old 08-05-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It's coming ... one of my co-workers passed away unexpectedly this last week, so it's thrown the usual flow into chaos. Just bear with me ...
Old 08-09-06, 12:11 PM
Suspended

What does everyone else think of this film? Is it a good blind buy? Thanks
Old 08-09-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tacos
What does everyone else think of this film? Is it a good blind buy? Thanks
I loved it when it was in the theatre. It's a good blind buy if you're into offbeat film noir teen dramas that rely heavily on witty dialogue. It's like a cross between 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' and 'Heathers.' With a little of 'The Player' thrown in. But with a much lower budget.

Seriously, though; watch it with the subtitles switched on. The actors are there to deliver the dialogue. It would have made a GREAT book-on-tape if the film deal had fallen through. Or maybe a radio play.
Old 08-09-06, 03:59 PM

What?

I can't say I agree, wergo.

It is a perfect blind buy, but watch it with the subtitles off. The dialogue is brilliant but if you have the volume up enough you can hear it rather than have it distract from the very very nice visual aspect of this film.

Watch it clean, man.
Old 08-09-06, 07:23 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Easily one of the year's best films...I agree: turn it up and enjoy it...then, watch it over again!
Old 08-10-06, 01:01 AM
Banned

Funny. I found myself having to turn it up a few times myself this morning. I fucking loved the film, though. Some of the best noir dialogue I've ever heard, and the characters were all incredibly well rounded and enjoyable. JGL was brilliant, IMO. Hope this is just the beginning.
Old 08-11-06, 09:40 AM

I have to agree that this is some of the best film noir dialogue to come along in a while, but did anyone else have a hard time digesting this movie?

I'll usually go along with a film open-minded and let everything just soak in, but this movie wouldn't 'work' for me. I'm don't mind suspending disbelief, but everyone in this film is so eloquent and witty that every sentence was strange for me (I appreciated these lines as being smart and well-delivered, but each one, nonetheless, felt "strange"). On top of that, I don't think ten minutes passed without me being taken out of the film, thinking "Where are this kid's parents?" or "Don't these kids have classes?"

(very minor, vague possible spoilers)
Having your son coming and going at all hours or receiving phone calls at 4am should warrant some sort of dialogue between a parent and a child, and no parent is going to act 'normally' when a kid you've never seen before is in your house with fresh blood all over his face or when a huge group of kids (some carrying weapons) floods your house at 5am./end minor spoilers

Rian Johnson has some great writing talent and directing talent, and had this film been slightly changed to involve adults I probably would've accepted it more easily (and might have even loved it). But dialogue like "She knows where I eat lunch" just took me out of the picture every time. Maybe it's because I'm only a few years off from the age these stars are supposed to be, but I just couldn't get into a world where teenagers are being this clever, plotting this intricately, and have the type of relationships they do (or don't) with parents and school authorities.

And yet I had no trouble getting absorbed into the world of The Fifth Element two days before... go figure.
Old 08-11-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm really torn on this film. Watched it earlier this week.

The direction is fantastic; very creative and artistic. The actors were utterly compelling, however unbelievable the words they spewed. The story moved quickly and really enveloped me into it's world. I live in O.C. where this was shot and felt a kinship.

With that being said, and being an appreciator of all film - including noir, I think the project is almost too smart for its good, bordering on being pretentious. And this aspect bothered me throughout the film. The story/mystery is fairly complicated to follow (I should have read the subtitles or turned the volume higher I suppose) and the script is too smarmy. Sorta feels like an inside joke within the inside world of arrogant teen hipsters. Personally, I don't like to work hard to follow a film's plot - I just want to be entertained. If it stimulates me on an intellectual level, so be it.

This film is gonna be a hit or miss with most people. They'll either love it or hate it. Or, like me, somewhere in between. I won't rent it or watch it again, however.
Old 08-11-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apparently Rian Johnson did this video for the Mountain Goats as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bSdRizGYb0