Reload this Page >

Weinsteins (w/ Tarantino) announce new asian line: "Dragon Dynasty"

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Weinsteins (w/ Tarantino) announce new asian line: "Dragon Dynasty"

Old 01-18-09, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Weinsteins (w/ Tarantino) announce new asian line: "Dragon Dynasty"

That's a shame. They always get pulled so fast from Best Buy. I know they're a niche but that's a shame. I love Shaw. I like what DD is doing (despite you guys). I hope DD has some good titles through 09.
Old 01-18-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I only own 2 of there SB titles (36th Chamber & Auntie) but would have loved more old school kung fu from them. I don't religously collect these but do buy them when I find them cheap. The most I paid for DD title was $9.00 + tax at wal-mart for 36th Chamber, mst of the others were bought from Blockbuster for under $5 each (yes I have the single disc of alot of them) and a few used at other places or in sales. I have 16 of the 33 dvds available and can hopefully get caught up during this year
Old 01-19-09, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I think it's understandable why DD would ditch producing anymore Shaw Bros films. The audience/fanbase that appreciates those films is so small & niche. I think the average person who walks into a Best Buy or any retail store isn't going to the Martial arts section to look for an old school period Kung Fu movie with Ti Lung or David Chiang. Of course they are going to be attracted to Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Chow Yun Fat as the stars.

I think the costs just to acquire the films, producing the extras and printing and shipping these movies were probably more than whatever they made back in sales if any.
Old 01-19-09, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 582 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The audience/fanbase that appreciates those films is so small & niche.
There's also a good chance they've already imported them from Hong Kong when they were first released and don't feel the need to duplicate at a higher cost than IVL's originals. I realize it may seem excessive (though I have my reasons), but I've got around 400 of the Hong Kong releases (mostly DVD, but plenty on VCD as well). I just wanted to see the films. I've know some of these releases weren't exactly perfect, but most of them are as close to perfect as anyone should reasonably expect. DD has crafted decent extras for their releases, but at the rate they were releasing them, it would've taken decades for them to just scratch the surface of this awesome library (and as I recall, they only had a select number of titles licensed anyways).

Hopefully anyone who's been jazzed by the Shaw films DD and other distributors have released might venture offshore (and/or go region-free) to see what they're really missing. I've got kung-fu, wuxia, comedies, melodramas, "adult" films, spy films, period and contemporary musicals, cop and true crime thrillers, and even a couple of the Huangmei opera titles. There's so much more out there. DD and these other U.S. companies are to be commended for even trying to bring this stuff to North American audiences in snappy new editions, but it was probably an uphill battle from the start, and sticking to the two most stereotypical genres (kung-fu and wuxia) probably hasn't helped, despite the greatness of the films themselves.
Old 01-19-09, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

DD had a great opportunity to get more people interested in the Shaw films, especially with the release of 36th Chamber of Shaolin. Personally I think they could have done a bit more advertising for the initial Shaw releases.

I'll probably go Region Free in the next few months and just start getting the Celestial R3 stuff.
Old 01-19-09, 07:24 AM

It seems like I am always forced to wait for that which I want most...in this case it would be The Killer. Sigh, I hope it comes soon.
Old 02-05-09, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI, the upcoming DD Enforcer is both cut and English-dubbed, with NO CANTONESE AUDIO. Unforgivable.
Old 02-06-09, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hopefully it was just a typo on the Press Release and it does have teh cantonese track, if not thye DD has truly went to crap. I have enjoyed all there DVDs I own but releasing Supercop CUT and no possibly The Enforcer dubbed would potentinally sway me towards not supporting them at all. I will wait for a review before I decide though
Old 02-06-09, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"MadManDragula" (who writes for this site) has an advance copy and he confirmed it. It isn't a typo on the press release.
Old 02-06-09, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like business as usual circa 2001.
Old 02-06-09, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I own all 33 releases. Why stop now? Disappointing to hear about the english-only track though.
Old 02-06-09, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I own all 33 releases. Why stop now? Disappointing to hear about the english-only track though.
Yup Ive come this far, so why stop now. Truthfully Ive only seen the cut version of Enforcer, so no loss for me there. The upgrade for me is for the anamorphic transfer.
Old 02-06-09, 11:11 AM
Banned

I own the first 30 titles and had planned to continue but his news is very disheartening. I cannot defend DD any longer. This is inexcusable.
Old 02-06-09, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What happened to DD? First Supercop now this?
They used to be nothing but quality....
Old 02-06-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan Average
"MadManDragula" (who writes for this site) has an advance copy and he confirmed it. It isn't a typo on the press release.
In the interview at that site, Logan says he has the deepest respect for hardcore fans (which is probably true, since he basically is one), yet due to "business" realities, must condone the release of compromised versions that those fans won't buy, and which they will recommend that others not buy via the very pervasive medium of the internet, then bemoans the poor sales figures of many of his company's titles because "all you guys" don't buy huge numbers of every title. Aside from some of you spine collector guys, undiscriminating Jet Li fans, and the usual small influx of curious newbies, the negative word-of-mouth on this release of THE ENFORCER will result in lower numbers than the company is anticipating for a title with a marquee name in the lead role. Those hardcore fans buy new versions of titles they already own if the new version is an improvement, and especially if it's the "ultimate edition", which in DD's case, it often is not. The harsh times out there right now probably means they couldn't wait for better materials to come their way--it seems likely that they just used what they already had for this film rather than looking for something better at all--but it's truly a shame that they couldn't have held off longer. Frankly, with this title, I'd be surprised if they even bothered contacting the Asian distrubutor for the Cantonese print when they had a much more expeditious source sitting in their own vaults that they knew would be 'good enough' for at least some people.

Last edited by Brian T; 02-06-09 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-06-09, 12:22 PM

thanks hollywood.
Old 02-06-09, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Average
FYI, the upcoming DD Enforcer is both cut and English-dubbed, with NO CANTONESE AUDIO. Unforgivable.
What a joke! So DD is basically re-releasing the Dimension version with a "better" transfer.
Old 02-06-09, 05:04 PM
Banned

It's Feb. 2009 and where's THE KILLER & LADY KUNG FU?
Old 02-06-09, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Torchur317
What happened to DD? First Supercop now this?
They used to be nothing but quality....
It's up and down with this company now and it's sad to see. Most of us are region-free but like the idea of having classics (done right) in R1. Especially ones that are just begging to have definitive versions out.

It didn't just start with Supercop, there were hints at an avalanche coming..

Hard Boiled: Cropped/Stretched, Dubtitles
The Royal Tramp Collection: Translation/Subtitle Issues
Tai Chi Master: Mono Track Issues, Video Stutter Issues
Fist Of Legend: Not Uncut--Dimension Video Master Used
Supercop: Not Uncut, Issues with Soundtrack
The Enforcer: Not Uncut, Dubbed

I have a lot of the quality DD releases, so this is not meant to criticize anyone who is buying these releases mind you. I was extremely happy to see the job DD did with Vietnamese Action Flick "The Rebel" and was happy to see they put lots of extras with it.

At first I was thinking that DD was better with recent film releases (City Of Violence, Invisible Target, Flashpoint, etc), but their earlier releases of HK Classics were fantastic. Then again I'm not sure if those were just taken from the Celestial/IVL masters.
Old 02-06-09, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by wm lopez
It's Feb. 2009 and where's THE KILLER & LADY KUNG FU?
I'm wondering the same thing.
Old 02-07-09, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
It didn't just start with Supercop, there were hints at an avalanche coming..

Hard Boiled: Cropped/Stretched, Dubtitles
The Royal Tramp Collection: Translation/Subtitle Issues
Tai Chi Master: Mono Track Issues, Video Stutter Issues
Fist Of Legend: Not Uncut--Dimension Video Master Used
Supercop: Not Uncut, Issues with Soundtrack
The Enforcer: Not Uncut, Dubbed
And who could forget:

MY YOUNG AUNTIE: incorrect audio
COME DRINK WITH ME: poor subs (recalling this second hand; only have the HK edition)

. . . or, venturing outside the box (and just to nitpick ):

KILLZONE: renamed
LEGEND OF THE BLACK SCORPION: renamed
THE PROTECTOR: renamed (plus Logan condones the "reworked" version on disc 1)
PTU: exploding building & helicopters added

And, most unforgivably:
BRETT RATNER and ELVIS MITCHELL

I have a lot of the quality DD releases, so this is not meant to criticize anyone who is buying these releases mind you. I was extremely happy to see the job DD did with Vietnamese Action Flick "The Rebel" and was happy to see they put lots of extras with it.

At first I was thinking that DD was better with recent film releases (City Of Violence, Invisible Target, Flashpoint, etc), but their earlier releases of HK Classics were fantastic. Then again I'm not sure if those were just taken from the Celestial/IVL masters.
Some of DD's releases of recent titles are rather good largely because special editions of these films were prepared for the Hong Kong market as well, so they're not working from scratch on extras, just augmenting with their own material or, in the case of CITY OF VIOLENCE, porting over all the goodies from the Korean edition intact. And you're right, some of their earlier editions of older HK classics were indeed quite good. Times change, I guess . . .
Old 02-07-09, 01:02 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WTF is wrong with just releasing Police Story 3: Supercop as it is, instead of the damnded from hell cut, Supercop
Old 02-11-09, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Genius responds to ‘Enforcer’ DVD criticism
By Mark Pollard on February 6, 2009

Genius Products, the distributor for The Weinstein Company’s Dragon Dynasty releases, has just issued a statement to address criticism regarding their decision to release a Special Collector’s Edition of THE ENFORCER (aka MY FATHER IS A HERO) without an original Cantonese-language audio track.

“Dragon Dynasty strives to provide fans with only the highest quality DVD releases, including restored video and audio and extensive never-before-seen bonus features created exclusively for the label.”

“Though no usable version of the original Cantonese-language track was available in time for this release, every effort was made to bring together the best elements in the world in creating the greatest version of THE ENFORCER ever experienced on DVD in the U.S.”

Dragon Dynasty’s THE ENFORCER DVD comes out on Feb. 10th. It features the same English-dubbed audio track and minor cuts to the Hong Kong print that was issued on the previous Dimension Films DVD in 2000.

http://www.kungfucinema.com/?p=5183
Old 02-11-09, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
“Dragon Dynasty strives to provide fans with only the highest quality DVD releases, including restored video and audio and extensive never-before-seen bonus features created exclusively for the label.”

“Though no usable version of the original Cantonese-language track was available in time for this release, every effort was made to bring together the best elements in the world in creating the greatest version of THE ENFORCER ever experienced on DVD in the U.S.”

They must have been pretty desperate to get something--anything--on the market in these troubled times if they couldn't wait until a usable track was available. They should know that this response to the backlash is only gonna generate more backlash; they'd have been better off keeping quiet about the screw-up, especially if they were gonna fall back on that old chestnut about available elements and release dates.

Saying it's the greatest version of THE ENFORCER ever experienced on DVD in the U.S. isn't really saying much. The original version of THE ENFORCER sucked. Adding even a single special feature would "technically" be an improvement, relatively speaking. Of course, neither version would be MY FATHER IS A HERO . . .

Every effort, indeed.

Last edited by Brian T; 02-11-09 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-14-09, 04:07 PM

These guys are a joke. The only disc I ever purchased from them was Hard Boiled and it ended up having dubtitles. That was a major screw up for a label that was supposed to be catering to the fans of HK cinema.

Now only putting English dubbed tracks on HK films? There's no excuse for that. There's a Hong Kong DVD of My Father is a Hero that has a perfectly good Cantonese audio track. They could have used that. Sounds like its just pure laziness on the part of the company. They will be out of business by the end of this year anyways.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.