Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Weinsteins (w/ Tarantino) announce new asian line: "Dragon Dynasty"

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Weinsteins (w/ Tarantino) announce new asian line: "Dragon Dynasty"

Old 09-09-08, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nezumi View Post
In-store. I would've picked it up if I already didn't have Shanghai Express.
Nice! I'm glad I held off the urge to buy it for $17.99 @ Best Buy today. I just checked the BB closest to my workplace doesn't have the two pack, but the one near my school does.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to go there after work tomorrow.

Anyone pick up the disc today? Any thoughts?
Old 09-10-08, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for that heads up. I'm gonna check next time I go to Best Buy. Can't beat both of 'em for a combined total of $22.

EDIT: Just checked BestBuy.com and they do have a Fist of Legend 2 pack, but fail to list what the other movie is. Based on the above user's post, I'd suspect Shanghai Express. Here's the link for anyone interested: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=1910781

Last edited by kstublen; 09-10-08 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-10-08, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the Bestbuy "exclusive". I don't have Shanghai Express, so it was a great buy for me..

Remember to grab one of the Bestbuy Insiders featuring Iron Man on the cover.. The back page has a 10% coupon making it $20.69 for both movies for me..
Later

Last edited by johnsun; 09-10-08 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-10-08, 11:04 PM

I wish they would stop putting interviews with Brett Ratner on these discs. I really could care less what that idiot has to say.
Old 09-10-08, 11:33 PM

So i just bought Seven Swords for $5 and watched a bit of it, and the whole thing is in Mandarin! Where the hell is the Cantonese dub??
Old 09-10-08, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Guys, BE FOREWARNED.

There are apparently TWO editions of DD's Fist of Legend floating around. One of them is the Two-Disc Ultimate Edition that some reviews have indicated (and apparently Amazon is selling, as are several eBay merchants), while another is a single-disc "Special Collector's Edition" that resembles Tai-Chi Master in layout. The disc doesn't read "Disc One" or anything, and contains the Bey Logan commentary as the sole supplemental feature. No cardboard slipcase is made available with this one. The coverart looks EXACTLY the same, except in the bottom black bar "Special Collector's Edition" appears instead of "Two-Disc Ultimate Edition". It was priced probably around $5 less than normal ($14.96 @ Wal-Mart).

I'm officially completely confused by this release. First, it's pushed back one week for unknown reasons. Then, there's a separate release which apparently has a different UPC and everything from the other edition (exactly the same as the first, only instead of ending with 5222 it ends with 5765). That UPC does not seem to exist, yet.
Old 09-11-08, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Got my 2 disc Fist of Legend from Amazon yesterday. Glad to see it in 16x9 glory. Though my first time was on a 3rd dub vhs
Old 09-12-08, 08:59 AM

Just got the Fist of Legend DVD. Don't have time to write a lot right now but if I find sometime this weekend I will. But I needed to say some things.

1) The Cantonese mono is genuine. Didn't check the Mandarin.

2) This is not the uncut version of the movie. This IS the Dimension version. Aside from having the Dimension intro and not the original, this is missing the last moments of the movie where we see the on screen epilogue text and then we see Chin Siu Ho running with the other students (along with even the last bit where we see the crew posing for the camera right after the ending credits). This print, just like the Dimension print, freeze frames the car driving away instead of us seeing it drive off where the on screen text is supposed to come up. This even has the credits directly lifted from the Dimension version.

3) The slow motion blur effect on the frames issue from Tai Chi Master is still present. It doesn't seem to be as consistent as Tai Chi Master, but it does indeed occur often. Interestingly, sometimes even at the end of the frames.

4) The subtitles are 100% bullshit.

Last edited by The Running Man; 09-12-08 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-12-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn it, I wish I knew that there a 2-disc version of Fist of Legend. Instead I pick up the single disc at Wal-Mart yesterday. Oh well, I hardly watch the extras anymore and I probably just keep the single disc.
Old 09-12-08, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Looks like my Ritek FoL is still the way to go, despite lesser video quality.
These companies think it's okay to keep feeding us shit on these releases because people keep snapping them up not knowing any better.
Old 09-12-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DangerousG View Post
So i just bought Seven Swords for $5 and watched a bit of it, and the whole thing is in Mandarin! Where the hell is the Cantonese dub??
The original language is Mandarin, isn't it? Why would you want a Cantonese dub?
Old 09-12-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dullboy View Post
The original language is Mandarin, isn't it? Why would you want a Cantonese dub?
Yeah, the film was shot in Mainland China and the original language track is Mandarin. I have both the DD and HK DVD's and they are both Mandarin.
Old 09-12-08, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

(reading comprehension problems ahoy)

Last edited by Dan Average; 09-12-08 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-12-08, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was talking about Seven Swords, not Fist of Legend.
Old 09-12-08, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Argh, sorry.
Old 09-13-08, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just a heads up...I was in FYE today and found "My Young Auntie" for $6.99 for those of you that don't already have it, although your results could vary.
Old 09-13-08, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
Just a heads up...I was in FYE today and found "My Young Auntie" for $6.99 for those of you that don't already have it, although your results could vary.
Hi. Was it part of their regular selection on the shelf? Or in one of their bargain dump bins?
Later
Old 09-14-08, 01:29 AM

I just wanted to follow-up on a few points that Running Man has brought up in his post regarding DD's Fist of Legend:

1. The Cantonese audio track is indeed genuine, but I want to say that the film's foley work has been "punched up."

2 & 3. It's truly a bummer about the garish "direct-to-video"-style opening and closing credits; but as somebody who's only had the Tai Seng VHS to refer to for far too many years, I'm willing to give DD a little lattitude. Unless some Hong Kong company steps up and produces a competitive DVD, I'm afraid that this is going to be the best version that R1 martial arts fans can expect.

4. I wouldn't say that the "subtitles are 100% bullshit." I've reviewed my VHS copy of Fist of Legend (with burned-in subtitles), and DD's subtitles do follow closely enough to the original's. If I had any complaint, it's that DD's translation reads a little too colloquial. The subtitles are definitely meant for comprehension by a more mainstream audience and not the hardcore Asian cinephile crowd.

In the end, it's a mixed bag (like so many other DD releases). On the one hand, this new version is a significant step up from my VHS copy in terms of picture (everything looks so crisp!) and sound. On the other hand, it's a pain to have to hang on to that VHS copy due to the fact that a few seconds are missing from the film's ending on the new DVD. Longtime martial arts fans will want to hang on to whatever extant versions of the film that they may have in their collections, but the Dragon Dynasty edition isn't a complete travesty. It's a passable edition but far from being definitive.
Old 09-14-08, 02:40 AM

1. The Cantonese audio track is indeed genuine, but I want to say that the film's foley work has been "punched up."
This seems to be more of a fault with your old VHS copy. I actually own a Canto mono track that sounds better than what's on the DD disc.

2 & 3. It's truly a bummer about the garish "direct-to-video"-style opening and closing credits; but as somebody who's only had the Tai Seng VHS to refer to for far too many years, I'm willing to give DD a little lattitude.
There's nothing to give latitude for. It's a cut version of the movie. All this is, is an anamorphic version of the Dimension cut with the Chinese audio options. Nothing more, nothing less.

4. I wouldn't say that the "subtitles are 100% bullshit." I've reviewed my VHS copy of Fist of Legend (with burned-in subtitles), and DD's subtitles do follow closely enough to the original's. If I had any complaint, it's that DD's translation reads a little too colloquial. The subtitles are definitely meant for comprehension by a more mainstream audience and not the hardcore Asian cinephile crowd.
Being colloquial has nothing to do with it. In fact, I disagree with that as that's not how I would describe the subtitles at all. The DD subtitles are just plain bad. Among many things, the biggest culprit is how the subtitles turn to full on dubtitles towards the end of the movie. Check out the final lines of the movie and compare them with what's on your VHS.

It's shocking just how sloppy DD is as a company and yet how much of this praise is given to them, which is unwarranted. Are the extras good? Sure, most of the extras are good but they are "extras". It's the main film's presentation that is the most important thing and this is where they have been really dropping the ball the majority of the time.
Old 09-14-08, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Running Man View Post
This is not the uncut version of the movie. This IS the Dimension version.
How Bey Logan fails to bring these things up baffles me. Being a big fan of Asian Cinema, you'd think he wouldn't back these sort of decisions.
Old 09-14-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by johnsun View Post
Hi. Was it part of their regular selection on the shelf? Or in one of their bargain dump bins?
Later
Regular selection on the shelf.
Old 09-15-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
How Bey Logan fails to bring these things up baffles me. Being a big fan of Asian Cinema, you'd think he wouldn't back these sort of decisions.
Yeah, I was disappointed with this release. When I first popped it in I thought the Eng. dub played by default and it played the crappy Dimension titles. They should of at least had the original titles and ending as a branching option if you opted for the Mandarin or Cantonese dub. I think if HKL was still around they would have done a better job than DD.

I guess I'm keep my LD.
Old 09-15-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

crap, man i'm bummed to read about this not being the uncut version. really wanted the Cantonese track, but guess i'm holding onto the Ritek version until something better comes along. thanks DD for dropping the ball yet again!
Old 09-15-08, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
Yeah, I was disappointed with this release. When I first popped it in I thought the Eng. dub played by default and it played the crappy Dimension titles. They should of at least had the original titles and ending as a branching option if you opted for the Mandarin or Cantonese dub. I think if HKL was still around they would have done a better job than DD.

I guess I'm keep my LD.
I just can't wrap my brain around it. Some of DD's titles are top notch, but lately as RunningMan has mentioned they have dropped the ball. These are all titles Martial Arts fans have been waiting for.

Maybe I'm naive to think that DD was the Martial Arts version of Blue Underground, Synapse or Dark Sky here in the U.S.

Those companies are run by people who love those genres and anyone who has bought a disc from either Blue Underground or even Synapse can see the time, effort and love they put into their releases. I know whenever I pick up a Synapse release I definitely feel that it is the definitive release of a said film. They just put that much effort into restoration, extras and so on. Anyone who has bought "Street Trash" or even "Lemora" from them knows what I am talking about.

DD's release of the Vietnamese film "The Rebel" is one of my anticipated (Top 5 easily) release of 2008. If they mess this one up (I'm not sure how since it's a VERY recent release..then again DD tends to surprise me), I have no idea how I'll feel about them anymore.
Old 09-15-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
I just can't wrap my brain around it. Some of DD's titles are top notch, but lately as RunningMan has mentioned they have dropped the ball. These are all titles Martial Arts fans have been waiting for.

Maybe I'm naive to think that DD was the Martial Arts version of Blue Underground, Synapse or Dark Sky here in the U.S.

Those companies are run by people who love those genres and anyone who has bought a disc from either Blue Underground or even Synapse can see the time, effort and love they put into their releases. I know whenever I pick up a Synapse release I definitely feel that it is the definitive release of a said film. They just put that much effort into restoration, extras and so on. Anyone who has bought "Street Trash" or even "Lemora" from them knows what I am talking about.

DD's release of the Vietnamese film "The Rebel" is one of my anticipated (Top 5 easily) release of 2008. If they mess this one up (I'm not sure how since it's a VERY recent release..then again DD tends to surprise me), I have no idea how I'll feel about them anymore.
I know exactly what your saying. I thought after all this time; especially with this title you think they would know what we want. I was thinking it was that since this title's original release date has been pushed back. It's like DD lives in a vacuum.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.