DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   So are you buying the new Star Wars Trilogy? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/466359-so-you-buying-new-star-wars-trilogy.html)

digitalfreaknyc 05-22-06 04:33 PM

So are you buying the new Star Wars Trilogy?

OK boys and girls...

Since it's confirmed that they're definitely non-anamorphic...are you still buying them? Or have you changed your mind now that we know they're not?

NO DEBATING IN THIS THREAD. I'd just like to guage how many people fall into which categories.

fumanstan 05-22-06 04:34 PM

Poll?

ianholm 05-22-06 04:35 PM

Nope. Wasn't buying it either way. Not a huge SW fan, so the current set more than suffices for me for the random viewing.

OldBoy 05-22-06 04:45 PM

i cry foul and will boycott this thread (now that i voted)! i should at least get 1/2 a post.

i said that...

Mr. Cinema 05-22-06 04:48 PM

I haven't bought a non-anamorphic title in years. No need to do so in 2006 when the standard is anamorphic.

critterdvd 05-22-06 04:51 PM

I wasn't going to buy them anyway... now if when the original DVDs had been released and there was an option between "Special Edition Only" and "Special/Theatrical Edition" with a $25/30 price difference I would have boughten the Theatrical edition, but I'm not quadriple dipping on this one.

Josh H 05-22-06 04:52 PM

Nope, I was on the fence anyway as the current set is ok for me as I don't mind the changes that much, and would prefer to not do any more double dips until I get into HD a few years down the road.

Non-anamorphic sealed the deal as a non-purchase for me.

rennervision 05-22-06 05:00 PM

If people are voting no when they weren't going to buy it anyways, I think it sort of skews the results. I would be interested in knowing how many people were going to buy it, but then changed their minds after hearing they would be non-anamorphic.

milo bloom 05-22-06 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by rennervision
If people are voting no when they weren't going to buy it anyways, I think it sort of skews the results. I would be interested in knowing how many people were going to buy it, but then changed their minds after hearing they would be non-anamorphic.

I agree, that would make a much better statement.

Rammsteinfan 05-22-06 05:05 PM

IM not gonna pay for em but someone can buy them for me as a gift... dont want to waste my own money on em. I hope they change their minds and hold off and do anamorphic transfers.

yellowbedwetter 05-22-06 05:08 PM

nope. The Special Edition boxset is more than good enough for me. Im a star wars fan, but not the kind that gets picky over a couple extra CGI shots here and there.

Mondo Kane 05-22-06 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by yellowbedwetter
nope. The Special Edition boxset is more than good enough for me. Im a star wars fan, but not the kind that gets picky over a couple extra CGI shots here and there.

Add me to this gang.

Egon's Ghost 05-22-06 05:22 PM

I'm going to have to say Yes, because it's the only way that I can get Star Wars, Empire and Jedi on DVD. I have other non-anamorphic DVDs, also the way I can have those films. I don't have an HDTV, don't imagine having one in the foreseeable future.

Originally Posted by yellowbedwetter

a couple?

illini420 05-22-06 05:23 PM

I would have bought the original versions over the special editions had they been available earlier. But I'm not going to double dip now that I have already had the special editions for nearly a year, those will be just fine for me.

calhoun07 05-22-06 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
OK boys and girls...

ASSUMING they're definitely non-anamorphic...are you still buying them?

NO DEBATING IN THIS THREAD. I'd just like to guage how many people fall into which categories.

I will buy them. Hell, at the very least I can get about $20.00 in trade in value for my current DVDs (separately, so I can keep the bonus fourth disc) and replace them with the two disc editions later on. To spend a little extra to get the original cuts is OK to me. I would prefer anamorphic, but it isn't a deal breaker for me, as I don't have an HDTV anyway.

Sonny Corinthos 05-22-06 05:33 PM

Yep, I'm a Star Wars nut. I will be buying them as soon as they are released.

astrochimp 05-22-06 05:37 PM

This is the 1st ive heard of them being non anamorphic,wtf is with that? I finally get the original movies the way id seen them as a kid and now this.So is there gonna be a set 2 years from now of the originals that ARE anamorphic? I guess it would still be a slight upgrade over my VHS set but still not what i had hoped for :/

Kal-El 05-22-06 05:53 PM

Sorry, I didn't read the first post before I voted so I'm one of the "wait for reviews" but if the premise is that they definitely are not anamorphic, then I guess not.

adamblast 05-22-06 05:55 PM

Sure... Can't afford an HDTV for years, probably, so the non-anamorphic issue doesn't matter much too me... At least they'll be fully in sync, which the laserdisc-to-DVD bootlegs I got ages ago weren't.

emhello 05-22-06 06:14 PM

If non anamorphic, no sale for me either.

Heliosphann 05-22-06 06:15 PM

No Anamorphic, No Sale...

Neeb 05-22-06 06:20 PM

I own the Original Laserdiscs the transfer is coming from.

If LFL had done these in 16:9, I'd buy them. But not this time.

IDrinkMolson 05-22-06 06:25 PM

Yes. (No exclamation point though)

DarthPrime 05-22-06 06:29 PM

Yes I will be buying them. I already have the 2004 box set, but my O-OT is an aging Pan and Scan VHS set. Even non-anamorphic I'm sure they will look better than what I currently have. At least they will be Widescreen.

mh4268 05-22-06 06:30 PM

I was going to buy these, but not with a non-anamorphic transfer. If by some chance they are anamorphic, then I will buy.