DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Part 2" 20th Ann. SE DVD [merge] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/466351-texas-chainsaw-massacre-part-2-20th-ann-se-dvd-%5Bmerge%5D.html)

L Chabert Lover 05-22-06 03:31 PM

"The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Part 2" 20th Ann. SE DVD Coming Fall '06 From MGM/Sony

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=6170

Elsewhere, MGM is recognizing that this year marks the 20th anniversary of Tobe Hooper’s TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE PART 2, and Fango has learned from a variety of sources that the studio is prepping a special edition of the film for Sony DVD release. Details are sketchy, but word is that Hooper, stars Bill Moseley and Caroline Williams and FX creator Tom Savini are all contributing their memories in new interviews and/or feature commentaries. The disc’s producers have also roped in Kevin Smith (?!) to provide a commentary of his own as well. Stay tuned for more on this one…
This is going to be a great year for the Chainsaw series on DVD. First, we get a 2-Disc Set of the 1974 original from MPI/Dark Sky in September which will include a brand new 16x9 enhanced transfer, a new commentary track with Marilyn Burns, Paul Partain, Allen Danziger, Bob Burns, and David Gregory, and the 80 minute "Shocking Truth" documentary from 2000, plus all of the extras on Pioneer's DVD. Now, MGM/Sony is giving us a 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD of TCM Part 2. Kick ass!

http://horror.about.com/od/movierela...oseleychop.htm - Interview with Bill Moseley

Reservoir 05-22-06 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by L Chabert Lover
a brand new 16x9 enhanced transfer

Should read another cropped transfer.

L Chabert Lover 05-22-06 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Reservoir
Should read another cropped transfer.

Oh, no. Not another "thing-fish24"-esque debate?

Rammsteinfan 05-22-06 04:35 PM

Bout time. Almost got the crappy disc out now at walmart when it was $4.88 but held off. TCM, TCM2 and the new TCM prequel this year... damn, rev up the chainsaw and let the bloodshed begin.

Case01 05-22-06 05:14 PM

What the fuck is Kevin Smith gonna have to say about this movie? I could care less but anyway. Happy to see this from what I understand a shitload of scenes were cut which sounded pretty dope.

eddiemunster 05-22-06 06:00 PM

Excellent news. I've been waiting for this for a while. TCM2 is loads of fun and vastly underrated. I'm a bit puzzled on the Kevin Smith commentary. I suppose it would help sell the DVD to folks who might not buy it otherwise. At any rate, I am just happy to finally see this being released. I just hope it has most of the features from the Elite laserdisc.

TomOpus 05-22-06 06:33 PM

I'm all over this... maybe. I hope it's the unrated one that was on VHS.

L Chabert Lover 05-22-06 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus

I also hope it includes the original "Breakfast Club"-ish cover.

http://www.mgm.com/mgm/images/poster...ster_hires.jpg

That Dennis Hopper cover on the current DVD is so stupid looking. Fangoria has updated their quote to say

Elsewhere, MGM is recognizing that this year marks the 20th anniversary of Tobe Hooper’s TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE PART 2, and Fango has learned from a variety of sources that the studio is prepping a special edition of the film for Sony DVD release. Details are sketchy, but word is that almost a dozen members of the cast and crew, including stars Bill Moseley and Caroline Williams and FX creator Tom Savini, are all contributing their memories in new interviews and/or feature commentaries. There will also be deleted scenes, and the movie will be presented in a new 16x9-enhanced hi-def transfer. Stay tuned for more on this one…

Doc Moonlight 05-22-06 07:45 PM

Hope it includes the deleted cameo by Joe Bob Briggs!

i86time 05-22-06 09:05 PM

Dog will hunt.
Any chance they'll ever find film elements for the deleted scenes? That x-gen video transfer needs a major upgrade.

dsa_shea 05-22-06 09:27 PM

This is one I've been waiting for. I also hope they have the original poster art for the cover. I actually have that poster (although it shows quite a bit of wear). Hopefully they'll throw those deleted scenes on there even if they can't find a better source. A commentary with Moseley and Dennis Hopper would be quite entertaining. Lick my plate!

Julie Walker 05-22-06 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus

The film has always been unrated. There is no R rated version of the film. The current dvd despite the R on the package is really unrated.

I can't wait for this release though,and am glad I held off purchasing the current release!

This will be a great fall for Chainsaw fans. I'll be picking up the original and sequel and checking out the remake prequel in theeaters for good measure.

And on the 'should be cropped transfer' comment. The first film(& sequel) was shot open-matte with the intent of being matted for widescreen theatrical release. Thus the framining IS correct in matted form. :)

dollfins1 05-22-06 10:06 PM

love this movie! has some great lines in it. will definitely double dip.

Josh-da-man 05-22-06 10:07 PM

Agreed -- I hope to fuck that they include the deleted scenes in some form, either integrated into the movie or as extras and I also hope they use the "Breakfast Club" art for the cover.

I did pick up TCM2 at Wal-Mart for $4.88, and bought the first TCM for around fifteen bucks, but I'll uprgrade both.

Buford T Pusser 05-22-06 10:53 PM

Thanks for the news.

Love the first, like the second.

Double dips damn them.

dsa_shea 05-22-06 11:27 PM

I remember the movie being released theatrically as NC-17. They wouldn't allow me or my friends in at any time with our parents. Finally, my dad was able to take me and my cousin to see this at the midnight movies. I guess they didn't give a rat's ass or just wanted some ticket sales. We were either 13 or 14 at the time.

thelwig14 05-22-06 11:44 PM

I was super disappointed in this film when I watched it for the first time last year. Will give it another try with the new transfer and such. I just thought it was over the top ridiculous. I guess I had my TCM goggles on when I should have taken it as a more campy type of movie.

The Monkees 05-23-06 12:02 AM

I haven't seen this movie in years. I am interested in seeing a nice DVD special edition of it though. I bought a special edition VHS back in 2002 at a used DVD shop, but haven't ever watched it.

Where do they talk about the new 2 disc version of the first film? I'm curious about this.

nodeerforamonth 05-23-06 12:15 AM

Easily in the top 5 of my favorite movies of all time. Don't understand why everyone hated it so much.

MartinBlank 05-23-06 12:22 AM

Fuck Kevin Smith! I want a Joe Bob Briggs commentary!

Argentoholic 05-23-06 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
Fuck Kevin Smith! I want a Joe Bob Briggs commentary!

That would be incredible. Someone should write Sony and let them know that genre fans crave more Joe Bob Briggs tracks.

snorlaxnut 05-23-06 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I remember the movie being released theatrically as NC-17. They wouldn't allow me or my friends in at any time with our parents.

The movie came out a few years before the NC-17 rating. When I saw TV commercials for the movie it had a "Due to scenes of violence, no one under 17 admitted." warning like they did with TV commercials for the original Dawn Of The Dead, & Day Of The Dead.

When I saw it in 1990, I thought it was more of a dark comedy than a regular horror movie.

Daniel L 05-23-06 12:51 AM

What is the deal with these Kevin Smith commentaries on B movies? What, he's a movie fan? He's obviously a fan of cheeseburgers as well, yet I have yet to see him on a McDonald's commercial. I just wish this man would go away but he keeps popping up EVERYWHERE. Argh.

Yeti4623 05-23-06 05:52 AM

Please let them go back to the Breakfast Club cover.

Tenacious D 05-23-06 07:41 AM

I just bought the current release this past week. So, you guys can thank me! I'll double-dip on this one, though!