DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Galaxy Quest Mockumentary? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/466169-galaxy-quest-mockumentary.html)

James Van Hise 05-20-06 07:14 PM

Galaxy Quest Mockumentary?

I have the Galaxy Quest DVD but I continue to see it advertised where special features listed in the ads which claim to include a MOCKUMENTARY. I have the only region one dvd version I've ever found (which sells for less than $10.00 these days) and it does not contain any MOCKUMENTARY. I've checked reviews of this DVD and they don't mention a MOCKUMENTARY either. There is some sort of informational site where retailers get their DVD information from which lists a MOCKUMENTARY on the disc but I have never been able to find any Galaxy Quest DVD containing the MOCKUMENTARY. I know what the MOCKUMENTARY is (the Sci-Fi Channel showed it back in 1999) but so far as I know it is not available on any DVD. Could there be a rerelease planned which will include the MOCKUMENTARY? Otherwise I cannot understand why this information keep getting purveyed. -- James Van Hise

Fincher Fan 05-21-06 12:54 AM

That's a lot of MOCKUMENTARY...

speedy1961 05-21-06 06:36 AM

Perhaps its an Easter Egg?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/eggs/read.php?ID=311

Jay G. 05-21-06 03:31 PM

It appears that the MOCKUMENTARY was announced in the initial specs for the disc, but didn't make it onto the final disc. I'm guessing that the stores that list the MOCKUMENTARY are using the initial specs and never updated.

calhoun07 05-21-06 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by speedy1961

Unfortunately, it is not on there.

I recall seeing the mockumentary on Sci Fi before the theatrical release. It was quite amusing, and done in the style of the True Hollywood Story type things. Very, very fun stuff, as it covered the "original series," which made it more fun because it wasn't your typical featurette that is just a commercial/extended trailer.

I was disappointed it wasn't on the DVD, as I was eager to watch it again. My money is on an eventual 2 disc set that will come out will have it on there. I've heard no rumors to suggest it will happen, but it probably will. The movie has held up well over the years.

woemcats 05-21-06 11:26 PM

I always hoped for a sequel, though it's probably best to leave it be; the first movie is certainly one of my favorites, and a winning comedy for Trekkies and non-Trekkies alike.

An SE would make sense, as I know the movie is popular, but I don't know if that's the kind of thing Dreamworks does. A commentary would be nice though.

cinephan 05-21-06 11:54 PM

I'd definitely rebuy this if they put more stuff on it.

MEJHarrison 05-22-06 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by woemcats
A commentary would be nice though.

A commentary in English would be nice.

Patrick Mirza 05-22-06 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
A commentary in English would be nice.
No kidding! How old did that Thermian track get? I couldn't sit through more than a minute's worth.

Maybe we'll get a good special edition now that DreamWorks' library got sold off.

Spiderbite 05-22-06 10:54 PM

MOCKUMENTARY
MOCKUMENTARY
MOCKUMENTARY

Sorry, I just wanted to join in on the fun.

James Van Hise 05-23-06 01:01 AM

I watched the film again yesterday and during it got to thinking, what a great commentary track it would be if they got Shatner and Nimoy to sit down together and watch the movie and just talk about whatever came into their head, like what certain dialogue reminded them of. What the scenes at the conventions made them think of, and why the recent Star Trek movies weren't as good as Galaxy Quest. If they did would would have to be for fun because they certainly don't need the money and DVD commentaries pay very little. But it would be a unique approach.

calhoun07 05-23-06 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by James Van Hise
....and why the recent Star Trek movies weren't as good as Galaxy Quest...

A side track of the thread, but IMHO, Galaxy Quest was better than the recent Star Trek movies because Galaxy Quest set out to just tell a fun story. There was a time when Star Trek was able to do that, even during the Deep Space Nine days. Star Trek is successful for a long haul, I believe, because there wasn't all this heavy continuity thing surrounding it, even into Next Gen. It was mainly made up as they went along. Once it became important to follow all this continuity over 30 years to tell one 90 minute story, Star Trek lost its sense of fun and felt like a chore, to make and to watch. Which is why, if they really want Star Trek to survive, I think they should just scrap all the current continuity and go a few generations into the future and start with a whole new idea in that universe.

clckworang 05-23-06 11:11 PM

I've never been a big Star Trek fan (loved Galaxy Quest though), but it seems to me that Star Trek films now seem to be geared more toward die-hard Trekkies rather than a general audience. When those first Star Trek movies came out, I think most people, even those who didn't watch the show, went to check them out. But as the cult fanbase became bigger, the movies seemed to become more tailored specifically to those people.