Fox Film Noir BOOMERANG cancelled?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Fox Film Noir BOOMERANG cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-06, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought Boomerang at Borders! I won't have a chance to watch it till the end of the week (so I'm hoping the recall, if it happens, isn't due to a manufacturer's defect). If anyone's got any questions about it I can answer, though, I'll let you know. I'll try to at least stick it in the player tonight and make sure there's nothing outstandingly unusual about it.
Old 05-31-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This just gets stranger and stranger. I'm dying to know if there are any actual defects or related reasons for the recall of this DVD.
Old 05-31-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gypo66
This just gets stranger and stranger. I'm dying to know if there are any actual defects or related reasons for the recall of this DVD.
I never heard anything about this being recalled or defects, just that it was pulled from it release date most likely due to rights issues of some sort.
Old 06-01-06, 04:38 AM

As ernestrp says, it's a legal issue delaying Boomerang, not defective discs or anything like that.
Old 06-01-06, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I gave up on DDD getting any copies of Boomerang and went ahead and cancelled my order. I ordered it during the buy 2 get 1 free sale and was fortunate I got a CSR that was willing to give me a free replacement DVD. Actually they cancelled Boomerang and created a new separate order for the new DVD. I suggest to keep trying if you find a CSR that is not willing to help you change your order. Had no problems and the CSR was very helpful and friendly on the phone.
Old 06-01-06, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just picked up a copy at the Mission Valley San Diego Borders. I left one on the shelf because I'm a nice guy.
Old 06-02-06, 01:01 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

I called Portland's downtown Borders this morning and asked if they had it in stock. The computer said they did, and when the salesgirl didn't find it on the shelf, she checked in the back. Sure enough, there it was. I picked it up this afternoon.

Did I miss something, though? There seems to be a lot of panic here, but has anyone actually seen any announcement somewhere that this is really not coming out. I'm not opening mine in case I suddenly get a DDD shipping notice and it's in there. (Weirdly, the $10 they were going to charge me last week never went through.)
Old 06-02-06, 07:42 AM

yes - I saw an article that announced this has slipped until Fall.

http://www.dvdfile.com/index.php?opt...=5470&Itemid=3

"Boomerang, originally scheduled for a simultaneous release with these films, will instead be released this fall."
Old 06-02-06, 08:33 AM

I grabbed what looked like the last one at the Borders in South Portland, ME a few minutes ago. It was even set up on the shelf with the cover facing out instead of the spine facing out. I also used the 30% off for Rewards Card members coupon which brought the total to $11.02. Even if it is released in the fall that's basically the same price I would pay elsewhere with tax so I'm very happy to get it, especially on the off chance it is held up for a while.
Old 06-02-06, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Steve
yes - I saw an article that announced this has slipped until Fall.

http://www.dvdfile.com/index.php?opt...=5470&Itemid=3

"Boomerang, originally scheduled for a simultaneous release with these films, will instead be released this fall."
I've seen nothing to confirm that, and am not sure I'd take a one-line comment in a review as fact. I don't think a firm rerelease date has been set at this point (though I may be wrong).
Old 06-02-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I just wanted to throw out some love to fellow Orange County, CA dvdTalkers -

The Borders at South Coast Plaza, Crystal Court had 3 copies of Boomerang (now 2, since I bought one) for $14, as of 11 am, 06/02. It's in the "mysteries/horror" section.
Good luck!

Oh, and Borders is also having a dvd sale where if you buy 3, you get a 4th dvd for free - or buy 4, and the cheapest one is free.
Old 06-02-06, 01:41 PM

I picked up mine at the Richfield, MN Borders today. There were still 2 left...
Old 06-03-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I picked up the last two copies (one for me and one for a friend) at the Borders in Grosse Pointe, MI about an hour ago.
Old 06-03-06, 03:23 PM

Thanks to this thread, I picked up a copy of Boomerang at my Borders in Virginia Beach. There was still one copy of the shelf when I left in case anyone in the area is interested.
Old 06-04-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So... let the deluge of "Rare! Sealed!" eBay auctions begin?....
Old 06-04-06, 11:48 AM

DVDBeaver has a review of Boomerang and states:

NOTE: As Brian tells us: "Fox cancelled the Boomerang! release at the last minute (presumably due to a rights snafu) after it had been shipped to retailers. Similar situation to the original release of Ed Wood (or De Sica's Shoeshine) where copies still trickled out despite the cancellation."

Gregory tells us: 'There's some flickering and a bit of damage, but overall the print is good. The sound quality is fine, although I heard a bit of crackle in one scene between Dana Andrews and Jane Wyatt. The included Boomerang trailer is missing text and narration...'

DVDBeaver would never stoop so low as to croon 'nah, nah, nah, nah - we have it and you don't!' but, well...

It looks as good as any of the past Fox Noir releases - fine digital noise, good grey-tones and contrast. Get out to your local Borders and see if you can snag a copy or two. If this doesn't resurface soon, it may be a great clandestine disc to own!
Old 06-04-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did anyone who ordered Boomerang in the B2G1F deal (DDD, Dvdplanet) with the other two Fox Film Noir's get a shipping notice yet for the other two titles?
Old 06-04-06, 12:34 PM

ernestrp - yes, got 1 already and the other has shipped.. not sure what they are going to do with my 'free' boomerang!!
Old 06-04-06, 01:03 PM

not sure what will happen with my DDD order since Boomerang is one of my $9.99 titles and something else is listed as my free title. I will have a problem if they charge me $20 and only ship 2 movies instead of the 3 I ordered. Or do you think they'll keep this on back order until Fall to see if Fox can get things together to release it by then?

The ebay auctions have started. One went for $76 yesterday. I have one listed and someone has bid $40 so far. Picked up several copies at a few local Borders' yesterday. Usually I'd be a nice guy and leave a few copies for other collectors, but didn't want to risk Border's waking up and removing them from the shelves, then no one would get them. At most stores they were already bought up anyways.

Note: My copy ended up selling for $41.25, not too bad.

Last edited by illini420; 06-04-06 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-04-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whew, I just discovered this thread so I bought one really quick at a Borders also. I can't go without my FOX Film Noir.
Old 06-04-06, 10:08 PM

I know Criterion discs are the dog's bollox...

Can someone fill me in (cliff notes) on the importance of this series of films?
Old 06-04-06, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Check out the following threads:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=402987

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=260301

I just read the following at CriterionForum:

I emailed fox directly. Got this useless response. Emailed them back telling them to reread my email and try again.

Fox has no plans to release the title in question at this time. I will forward your request onto our corporate office so they can see what the public would like to see on DVD. You may also contact us in July 2006 for updated new releases. Thank you for contacting us!

Thank you,

Fox Consumer Services
And then:

Apparently, in late March, a member of home-theater forum
made the following comment about the "Boomerang!" DVD release:

No mention of the deleted scenes for BOOMERANG, which is a remarkable semi-documentary film based on a true story from the 1920s. It was once announced as forthcoming as one of the original "Studio Classics" vhs releases, but it was abruptly pulled two weeks before (cover art already posted) without reason or replacement. I always wondered if that was the result of pressure from family members or survivors from the actual case.
Interesting that the planned DVD release has been cancelled at the last
minute too.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 06-04-06 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-05-06, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by arbogast777
I picked up mine at the Richfield, MN Borders today. There were still 2 left...
Thank you so much arbogast777, I couldn't find a copy myself so I sent a friend to the Richfield, MN Borders and he got the very last copy for me
Old 06-06-06, 11:35 AM

I finally got around to calling DDD today about the status of my order as all three movies had suddenly gone on Backorder, instead of just Boomerang. As suspected, it was holding up the entire order. So I was given the option of either choosing another title or just getting two movies for $9.98. I went with the 2-for-1 option as it is a great deal and since I don't have the time to look for another title that I might want. Undoubtedly, the most pleasant experience I have ever had with a CS from DDD.

Oh, my CSR was named Sara BTW...

Last edited by AmonTwin; 06-06-06 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-06-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

good stuff going on here, i'll add this to the main thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.