DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Police raid Michigan comic convention, shut down DVD bootlegs (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/466078-police-raid-michigan-comic-convention-shut-down-dvd-bootlegs.html)

Billyspunk 05-22-06 12:09 PM

Does anyone know if dvdavenue.tv is a LEGIT company, meaning do they really have permission to sell unreleased tv shows? They seem to be fairly large and I was told they have been in business for 3 years, does the copyright owners know about them?

sracer 05-22-06 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by wewantflair
Would you care to offer an alternative idea for doing buying bootlegs? "Because I want to" or "because the companies won't release it/them in R1" are both examples of feelings of entitlement.

Because it is permissible? (At least a good case can be made for homegrown tapes/discs of TV shows that haven't been formally released by studios.)

wewantflair 05-22-06 03:56 PM

Permissibility is an opportunity, not a motive. We don't do things because they are permissible, because that would imply that we would do everything that was permissible, which is simply ludicrous on face value.

Peep 05-22-06 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by boe
I live in CA and would like to disagree as well. They enforce all the laws that generate revenue - e.g. parking, speeding, jay walking etc - OK none of the other ones - killing, beating (particularly if they are the ones doing it-I think it is in the job perks) theft, crossing borders... I've gotten two parking tickets and one speeding in CA but when I called to notify them that my car had been broken into and nearly $800 in stuff was stolen - they couldn't be bothered to show (Culver City Police - just want to say thanks again!). Somehow they managed to show within 5 minutes after I parked my car and he meter ran out.

I've lived in Los Angeles for about 10 years now and have never actually seen a police officer give out a parking ticket. True, they will ticket you for speeding and jay-walking.

TomOpus 05-22-06 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
I've lived in Los Angeles for about 10 years now and have never actually seen a police officer give out a parking ticket.

I've never seen someone murder another person... but I hear it happens from time to time. :D

sracer 05-22-06 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by wewantflair
Permissibility is an opportunity, not a motive. We don't do things because they are permissible, because that would imply that we would do everything that was permissible, which is simply ludicrous on face value.

well then your whole "I want to = sense of entitlement" position is nothing more than flamebait. Because the motive for buying officially released DVDs is because we want to. :rolleyes:

boe 05-22-06 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peep
I've lived in Los Angeles for about 10 years now and have never actually seen a police officer give out a parking ticket.

I don't know if the people giving out tickets are actually elves but I guarantee if you park your car downtown, in santa monica, marina del rey, culver city, westwood... for 10 minutes any place that has metered parking or no parking between certain hours you'll magically have a ticket.

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I've never seen someone murder another person... but I hear it happens from time to time. :D

Yeah but in LA there is no profit in that type of crime so while they catch thousands of people who park their car illegally every day they rarely catch any killers. Why would they want to - if they did, the money to lock them up comes from the budget which pays their raises every year.

calhoun07 05-22-06 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by sracer
well then your whole "I want to = sense of entitlement" position is nothing more than flamebait. Because the motive for buying officially released DVDs is because we want to. :rolleyes:

Isn't the main motive behind a lot of things we buy them because we want them? Did you buy your car due to a sense of entitlement? Or get it "tricked out" with extra stuff the dealer didn't include because you felt entitled to have a nicer car? Or do you make a special trip to a certain store to get something you can't get at your usual store because you feel entitled to have that specific item, whether it be a favorite food, a article of clothing, a favorite drink, what have you? I guess I don't understand where these people come up with sense of entitlement BS. Perhaps it's from their sense of entitlement that they feel they need to put down people they think are lesser than them.

nodeerforamonth 05-23-06 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Please elaborate about how laws aren't enforced, because I'd like to disagree.

Also explain what happened to the bootleg table that was removed at last year's Comic-Con. Oh, they must've sold out in 3 hours and left, right?

I've driven past cops at 80mph. Never stopped me. I see people do it all the time too.

I see people driving with cell phones weaving all over the road. In front of cops. Never pulled over. I even saw a guy brushing his teeth while driving once. Constantly see women putting on makeup while driving 65mph down the freeway. Never see them pulled over.

Regarding getting away with murder if you're a celebrity? I refer to exhibit A: OJ Simpson. exhibit B: Robert Blake.

Had my car broken into half a dozen times. Even if the cops show up (IF), you're lucky if they even fill out a report.

Regarding the border? You've obviously haven't read the news lately. Nor are you from CA. The border is not enforced. People who hire illegals are not fined. Illegal aliens are allowed to roam free.

It's anarchy in CA.

What bootleg table at the Comic-Con were you talking about? I didn't hear of anyone getting their tables removed. And I've gone every day for every year for the past 10+ years.

JM1 05-23-06 07:59 AM

I dunno if it's still the same, but in 2003 I went to see the 2nd Matrix movie (or was it the third? It was November of that year anyway) in the Loews theatre on 42nd St in NY, and on coming out of the theatre after the movie the street traders right outside the cinema were selling boots of the movie as you came out of the theatre! Right outside the damn theatre, in the middle of NY!

Fok 05-23-06 04:40 PM

In all the Asian malls around here they have stores that just sell bootlegs. Not quite sure why the police haven't shut them down.

Class316 05-23-06 06:10 PM

What sad news :(

Cameron 08-09-06 04:12 AM

anybody ever get the story on what became of all this

MovieExchange 08-09-06 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
anybody ever get the story on what became of all this

Just what I posted. The cops raided the place on Friday, arresting between 14 and 17 people. Most of the dealers were released that day and were back at the convention on Saturday, selling their legal (and bootleg Japanese) wares. The convention organizers released the expected statement of "oh, we didn't know that these were illegal." Which is total bullshit, of course, but can't be proven.

The prevailing theory amongst dealers at the convention was that the convention organizers reported the dealers, out of fear of being held responsible if they did nothing and a raid still occured.

toddly6666 08-09-06 09:00 AM

well, we all learned what the moral of this story is:
Don't ever sell bootleg dvds of The Green Hornet, Bionic 6, M.A.S.K. and Witchblade TV series, because it's just pure evil and wrong.

JCWBobC 08-09-06 10:08 AM

The same thing happened at the Chiller Convention back on 1994 or 1995. Someone bought a bootleg tape that was horrible quality and decided to complain to the police or FBI about it. We stood in line for about 2 hours because they showed up and confiscated all the bootleg tapes people were selling. We didn't see anyone get arrested but it sucked that we had nothing to buy as this was the only way we could get the impossible to find stuff. We didn't know about the internet and their was no Ebay back then. Of course the next year things were back to normal but vendors weren't as open about selling things that weren't official releases.

I probably spent about $500-$1,000 in the early 90's buying tapes at conventions that I would not have been able to find anywhere else or weren't released commercially in the US. I remember copies of the Street Fighter animated movie selling for $25 a tape with no subtitles, because it was the only way to get it, and the guy sold out all 3 days. Nobody cared that it was a bootleg/pirated copy or that it would come out officially in 6 months to a year. They wanted it now(then) and they would pay the high price to have it.

DavidH 08-09-06 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by MasterCXtreme
Michigan cops are dicks. And that's no threadcrap people, that's a fact.

True. In addition, it's become very apparent to me many of them spend 40 hours a week passing out speeding tickets -- often times ILLEGALLY parking on private property (i.e., citizen driveways) to do so. I can't tell you how often I and other people I talk to see this happen. If this is how Police are going to be used, then let's CUT funding to send a message.

calhoun07 08-09-06 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
well, we all learned what the moral of this story is:
Don't ever sell bootleg dvds of The Green Hornet, Bionic 6, M.A.S.K. and Witchblade TV series, because it's just pure evil and wrong.

And God will kill a puppy if you do it.

Brent L 11-12-06 07:14 PM

I went to the Anderson Jockey Lot this morning, and I found a table outside with tons of brand new DVDs for 3 for $25. At first I was just scanning the section, not really looking all that close. The I saw that they had Song of the South on DVD, but didn't think too much of it since I've seen tons of sellers who deal with legit DVDs offering that exact same DVD. Then, as I noticed they had sealed copies of Beauty and the Beast: PE and picked them up in a mad rush to possibly buy them, I instantly could tell that they were not only bootlegs, but every single DVD that they had for sale was a fake. They had hundreds and hundreds of DVDs, all bootlegs, all the way from random older flicks to new releases to almost ever Disney film ever.

When I saw who they were, I recognized them. Years ago I bought the Lisa Marie Presley CD from them, sealed, and it ended up being a bootleg also. Back then I went back to them and demanded my money back since it was an obvious fake once you opened it, and the excuse they gave me was that they had nooooooooooo idea it was a fake.

Uh huh, sure.

The couple seems to be in their 60's or so, and I'm told that they are there every Saturday and Sunday. How they continue to get away with this, I'll never know.

I was going to post this in a thread I started back in 2003:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=304892

But I noticed that it has been moved to the Archive folder.

It just really pissed me off, just as it always does, seeing so many people buying bootlegs when most of them think they are getting a great deal on legit items. I know that some people don't care, but I know that many of the people are buying from them because they don't even expect them to be fake at all.

The Infidel 11-12-06 07:34 PM

Did you call the cops?

Brent L 11-12-06 07:36 PM

No, I've never seen any results from doing that in the past.

calhoun07 11-12-06 11:09 PM

Did you pee in their butts?

The Valeyard 11-12-06 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07

rotfl

Brent L 11-13-06 12:35 AM

I tried but then they called the cops on me instead!

Call the cops on someone selling bootleg DVDs at a flea market and they wont do anything, but the bootleggers makes one complaint about attempted anal urination and they come running.

Deadpool 11-13-06 10:20 AM

:lol:

Must be a slow day at The Otter Farm today...

There's no new 'humans molesting animal' stories out :D