DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   dark crystal & labyrinth new releases?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/465620-dark-crystal-labyrinth-new-releases.html)

ds6161 05-16-06 10:37 AM

dark crystal & labyrinth new releases??

whats new & different about these new re-releases??

I have not found any detail on them...

thankz

Rammsteinfan 05-16-06 10:39 AM

I recently saw them with new covers at the store... That seemed all it was unless you mean the deluxe editions that came out a while ago. Or is there something I missed?

cardaway 05-16-06 11:09 AM

Both movies have YET ANOTHER release.

I've seen the Labyrinth one in store and it appears to be the same disc included in the collectors set. It even has the same cover design but packaged in a single amaray case.

I haven't seen the new Dark Crystal one but I read somewhere that the new version may be fullscreen only.

ds6161 05-16-06 12:50 PM

never mind just crap...

?? Why would a studio was time & money on these since nothing is new??

EddieN 05-16-06 12:53 PM

Standard operating procedure for Sony.

Egon's Ghost 05-16-06 01:16 PM

Well, it's kind of like the book world, isn't it? Reprinting, or am I wrong?

bunkaroo 05-16-06 02:21 PM

Actually, there's a good chance the new transfer of DC is not, I repeat, not anamorphic, even though the old one was. Sound stupid? I agree, but it happened to Cutting Edge, another Sony title.

I've seen the new DC disc in store, and it makes no mention of being anamorphic. Granted, some Sony discs don't state this even though they are, and Sony used to not state this in the early days. But for some reason they've gotten very inconsistent with this lately. My Rescue Me S2 set does not go out of its way to state anamorphic, yet it is.

Coppola's Garden of Stone, which used to be a 4:3/16:9 enhanced dual-sided disc also has a new release with only the 1.85 side, but it does not state anamorphic on the package.

You'd have to search here or HTF, but I thought I read somehwere that someone did pick up the new DC and sure enough it wasn't anamorphic. I guess caution is the best advice here.

darmok 05-16-06 03:11 PM

it was previously mentioned here.

xage 05-22-06 02:00 AM

The deluxe sets now-adays are seen sold at around $19 price level?

DJ_Longfellow 05-22-06 06:38 AM

I think I read somewhere that these movies were being re-released with the UMD also.

critterdvd 05-22-06 11:33 AM

How many times are they going to rerelease these movies? It drive me nuts!

milo bloom 05-22-06 01:08 PM

The new blue cover edition of The Dark Crystal is anamorphic, and has all the extras. I just picked it up at WalMart the other day for $7.50.

critterdvd 05-22-06 01:52 PM

"Dark Crystal" has a sequel coming soon. Expect more releases.
Are you serious!?!? Thats AWESOME! (Hopefully)

bboisvert 05-22-06 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by critterdvd
Are you serious!?!? Thats AWESOME! (Hopefully)

With the rights to the Muppets sold, Henson doesn't have many properties left that they own outright. The Dark Crystal is one of those, and the company apparently has plans to exploit it quite a bit in the coming years. There's a sequel theatrical film, as well as an animated series on the drawing board. And you can expect to see the merchanising increase as well.