DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Ronald Reagan Signature Collection ----> 8/15/06 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/465436-ronald-reagan-signature-collection-8-15-06-a.html)

dx23 05-14-06 09:46 PM

Ronald Reagan Signature Collection ----> 8/15/06

From dvdtimes.co.uk:

Ronald Reagan Signature Collection in August
Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Ronald Reagan: The Signature Collection for 15th August 2006. This set features five outstanding film performances from the prolific actor and longtime Warner Bros. contract player, who served two terms as Governor of California and then became one of the most popular American presidents of the 20th century. Included in the all new-to-DVD collection are Kings Row,/i>, a Best Picture Award nominee and probably Mr. Reagan’s best performance; Knute Rockne All- American, the actor’s best remembered role (“Win one for the Gipper!”); the wartime drama The Hasty Heart, the topical Storm Warning and lastly, The Winning Team, with Reagan playing Hall-of-Fame baseball pitcher Grover Cleveland Alexander.

The collection will sell for $49.92 SRP. All titles are exclusive to the collection except Kings Row and Knute Rockne All- American which will be available individually for $19.97 SRP each.

Kings Row (1942)
It’s a quaint turn-of-the-century small town with shady streets, swimming holes and the clip-clop of horse and buggy. But that peaceful exterior conceals human lives twisted by cruelty, murder and madness. Kings Row is one of Warner Bros.’ most distinguished productions, highlighted by an outstanding cast, haunting James Wong Howe cinematography and a somber, emotion-laden Erich Wolfgang Korngold score. Oomph Girl Ann Sheridan, Robert Cummings, Betty Field, Claude Rains and Charles Coburn give indelible performances – and Ronald Reagan’s portrayal of Drake, a cheerful ne’er-do-well shattered by tragedy, has been hailed as a career high. Nominated for 3 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Kings Row is a powerful American saga of dreams, despair and triumph.

Features include:
Oscar® -nominated short United States Marine Band
Classic cartoon Fox Pop
Theatrical trailer
Subtitles: English, Français & Español (feature film only)

Knute Rockne All-American (1940)
“I’ve decided to take up coaching as my life work,” Knute Rockne says. Coach he does, revolutionizing football with his strategies, winning close to 90 percent of his games, and helping establish the University of Notre Dame’s “Fighting Irish” as a gridiron powerhouse. But victories alone do not mean success to Rockne. He wants to shape his players into responsible and honorable men.

This famed sports biopic combines a passion for the game (and footage of actual Notre Dame contests) with two superb performances: Pat O’Brien in the title role and Ronald Reagan as George Gipp, the gifted but doomed halfback whose deathbed plea to “win one for the Gipper” remains one of cinema’s most memorable quotes. And for the rest of his life, Reagan would often be called the Gipper.

Features include:
Oscar-winning Technicolor historical short Teddy, the Rough Rider
Classic cartoon Porky’s Baseball Broadcast
Audio-Only bonus: 1940 Lux Radio Theater Broadcast with Pat O’Brien and Ronald Reagan
Theatrical trailer

The Hasty Heart (1949)
Monsoons drench them. The sun scorches them. Still, the Allies fight doggedly through Burma in 1945. For easygoing Yank (Ronald Reagan) and hard-headed Lachie (Richard Todd), the road to victory ends at a jungle hospital. With the help of a devoted nurse (Patricia Neal), they face a new battle called recovery.

The Hasty Heart playwright John Patrick drew from his own wartime service in a British ambulance unit. Vincent Sherman (The Hard Way, Mr. Skeffington) directs this sensitive adaptation sparked by the performance that ranks with Kings Row as among Reagan’s best. The future President wasn’t the only one to draw accolades. Todd won a 1949 Best Actor Oscar nomination and a Most Promising Newcomer Golden Globe Award as the valorous, wounded Scotsman who doesn’t know that his new fight is his last.

Features include:
Commentary by Director Vincent Sherman and John Meroney
Vintage Joe McDoakes comedy short So You Want to Be in Pictures
Classic cartoon The Hasty Hare
Theatrical trailer

Storm Warning (1951)
A mob in hooded white robes. A man running for his life. Gunfire. In the South to visit her sister Lucy, Marsha Mitchell witnesses a Ku Klux Klan murder. Once safely with Lucy, Marsha relays the terror she has seen…then recognizes her sister’s brutish new husband as one of the killers. She could lie, protect her sister and leave town. Or she could be the one person brave enough to bring the Klan to justice.

Ginger Rogers and Doris Day as the sisters, Steve Cochran as the husband and Ronald Reagan as a crusading D.A. give some of their finest performances in this explosive indictment of a hate that poisoned America from within. Part thriller, part exposé, part stirring human drama, Storm Warning is “feverish…engrossing” (Leonard Maltin’s Movie Guide) – and moviemaking at its most powerful.

Features include:
Theatrical Trailer

The Winning Team (1952)
He was Hollywood’s ideal of the boy next door. She was America’s Sweetheart. Ronald Reagan and Doris Day headline this film about our national pastime. In The Winning Team Reagan is Grover Cleveland Alexander, the Hall of Fame pitcher whose baseball victories paralleled triumphs in his personal life. Suffering from double vision and fainting spells, Alexander sees his career bottom out. But, helped by his wife (Day), he makes a successful return that reaches its peak in the 1926 Yankees/Cardinals World Series. Real-life major leaguers Bob Lemon, Peanuts Lowrey, Hank Sauer, Gene Mauch and more appear in this story of the legendary pitcher.

Features include:
Theatrical Trailer
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=61518

Paul Drake 05-14-06 11:47 PM

Great set at a great price. Kings Row is a true American classic and Storm Warning is a film that's begged rediscovery for years. It should be interesting hearing 99 year old Vincent Sherman's commentary on Hasty Heart; I understand that he is in remarkable shape for his age.

If I had one nitpick it's that I wish Warners would have included some of the wartime shorts that Reagan narrated or otherwise starred in.

marty888 05-15-06 08:16 AM

Another winning set.

Hopefully this will get people familiar with <b>STORM WARNING</b> - a terrific movie about individual responsibility, with solid dramatic performances from two actresses often considered "light-weight": Ginger Rogers and Doris Day.

AJAX 05-15-06 09:59 AM

A great set for one of Hollywood's truely greatest actors :rolleyes:

shearerchic 05-15-06 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by AJAX

the greatest??? tat leaves me puzzled.

GeorgeP 05-15-06 11:16 AM

Count me as disappointed there won't be any commentary or documentary on the "Knute Rockne: All-American" disc.

It would be a prime opportunity for a critic like Leonard Maltin or film historian to sieve out the historical inaccuracies rife in the film which gave such rise to the staggeringly overblown Notre Dame myth of today.

Cameron 05-15-06 11:19 AM

agreed....good looking set still

kitkat 05-15-06 11:31 AM

No Bedtime for Bonzo? ;)

I'm really glad Kings Row is coming out - I've been wanting to see that for a very long time.

Ambassador 05-15-06 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by AJAX

Stephen Colbert: Ronald Reagan. Great actor or the greatest actor?

NoirFan 11-06-06 04:47 PM

Wish Storm Warning was available seperately.....don't like WB having films exclusive to box sets.

wordtoyamotha 11-06-06 05:01 PM

"I haven't felt this bad sent we went to see that Ronald Reagan film." :lol:

Seriously though, glad to see Warner continues to give older films good treatment.

porieux 11-06-06 06:49 PM

[insert alzheimer's joke here]

nemein 11-06-06 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by porieux
[insert alzheimer's joke here]

<i>Mod note: Actually let's not... Please keep the thread focused on the DVD release.</i>