James Stewart Signature Collection ----> 8/15/06

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-14-06, 10:44 PM
Banned

From dvdtimes.co.uk:

James Stewart Signature Collection in August

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of James Stewart: The Signature Collection for 15th August 2006. Honouring one of America’s most beloved actors and classic Hollywood leading men this signature collection includes six of Stewart’s films -- all new to DVD -- being released in the five-disc collection: The FBI Story, The Naked Spur, The Spirit of St. Louis, The Stratton Story and a double feature DVD that features two irresistible pairings of Stewart and his dear friend Henry Fonda: The Cheyenne Social Club/Firecreek, both available for the first time on video in widescreen presentations. This superb collection presents Stewart in a variety of different roles that underscore his incomparable versatility as an actor and features Stewart in powerful performances opposite a star-studded array of screen favourites including Robert Ryan, Janet Leigh, Vera Miles, June Allyson and Agnes Moorehead. The DVDs also include expert commentaries, theatrical trailers for each film, and a bevy of vintage comedy shorts, classic cartoons that have become the distinctive hallmark of Warner Home Video classic DVD presentations. This impressive assemblage of Stewart at his best will sell as a collection for $49.92 SRP, with all titles available individually for $19.97 SRP.

The FBI Story (1959)
Stewart portrays one of J. Edgar Hoover’s finest and Vera Miles co-stars as his steadfast wife in this salute to the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The colorful career of Agent Chip Hardesty (Stewart) covers 1924 to the late ’50s. Along the way he tangles with everything from the Ku Klux Klan to a bomber who commits mass murder for insurance money. His fiercest exploits come in the ’30s when he stares down a gun barrel at Baby Face Nelson, Pretty Boy Floyd, Machine Gun Kelly, Ma Barker and John Dillinger. From two-time Pulitzer Prize winner Don Whitehead’s bestseller and directed by veteran Hollywood hit maker Mervyn LeRoy.

Features include:
Theatrical trailer
Languages: English & Français
Subtitles: English, Français & Español (feature film only)

The Naked Spur (1953)
“Plain arithmetic: Money splits better two ways instead of three,” smooth-talking outlaw Ben Vandergroat reasons to his captors, three bounty hunters thrown together by chance. They’re taking Ben to justice in Abilene, but he has other ideas. If he can set the men against each other – play on their greed, their fears, their vanities – he may be able to make his break to freedom.

In the third of his five landmark Anthony Mann-directed westerns, James Stewart stars as the relentless leader of bounty hunters caught in the snare of the hunted (Robert Ryan). Tough, tense, and towering as tall as its breathtaking Colorado Rockies setting, The Naked Spur is simply “one of the best Westerns ever made” (Leonard Maltin’s Movie Guide).

Features include:
Vintage short Things We Can Do Without
Classic cartoon Little Johnny Jet
Theatrical trailer

The Spirit of St. Louis (1957)
On May 21, 1927, the world changed. “Lucky Lindy” landed outside Paris. And people who previously talked about the limitations of air travel suddenly dreamed of its limitless possibilities.

The Spirit of St. Louis is six-time Academy Award winner Billy Wilder’s recreation of the struggles and success of Charles A. Lindbergh, the pioneering flyboy who, like test pilots and astronauts to follow later, had the “right stuff” of aviation heroism. Lindbergh fan James Stewart, himself a pilot, sought the role but was initially turned down. But his persistence paid off, as Stewart added Lindy to his gallery of indelible portrayals of American heroes. He and Wilder together manned the cockpit of a stirring epic entertainment.

Features include:
New digital transfer from restored picture and audio elements
Soundtrack remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1
The Spirit of St. Louis Premiere
Vintage Joe McDoakes comedy short So Your Wife Wants to Work
Classic cartoon Tabasco Road
Theatrical trailer

The Stratton Story (1949)
Chicago White Sox pitcher Monty Stratton is an affable long drink of water with an easy, whip like delivery and a pitch so unhittable the young phenom racks up consecutive 15-win seasons. But Stratton’s greatest victory doesn’t come on the green diamonds of our national pastime.

Stewart portrays Stratton, who loses a leg in an accident just as his career is on the rise…and whose triumph over despair and disability leads him to pitch again. Stewart signed on for the role when he realized the film would be an inspiration to injured World War II GIs. The film still inspires. Awarded an Oscar® for Best Motion Picture Story, directed by Sam Wood (The Pride of the Yankees) and supported by a top cast that includes June Allyson, Agnes Moorehead, Frank Morgan and real-life ballplayers, The Stratton Story is sports biography at its best. The pairing of Allyson and Stewart was so successful, that they appeared together again in 1954’s
The Glenn Miller Story and Strategic Air Command (1955).

Features include:
Vintage Short Pest Control
Classic Cartoon Batty Baseball
Audio-Only Bonus: Radio Show with Stewart and Allyson
Theatrical trailer
Subtitles: English, Français & Español (Feature Film Only)

The Cheyenne Social Club (1970)/Firecreek (1968)
They can be tough as leather. Or as down-home as any pair of good ol’ boys. Either way, there’s a sense of warm respect between Henry Fonda and Stewart, the two stars whose off-camera friendship goes back to their days as struggling actors and roommates. The Cheyenne Social Club [Side A] casts them as saddle-weary Texans who, surprised to find they’ve inherited a Wyoming bordello, feel honor-bound to defend it against a gun-wielding gang. Gene Kelly produced and directed this mix of fun and Western action. Next comes a firestorm of character-driven excitement in Firecreek [Side B]. Fonda plays an outlaw preying on small towns, and Stewart is the jittery, $2-a-month part-time lawman who must find the courage to stop him.

Features include:
First-Time Widescreen home video debut [16x9 2.4:1] for both movies
Vintage The Cheyenne Social Club featurette The Good Time Girls
Theatrical trailers
Subtitles: English, Français & Español (feature films only)
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=61517
Old 05-15-06, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I know what I'm getting my dad for xmas (ironically his name is Jimmy Stewart)
Old 05-15-06, 12:41 AM
Banned

Bah..

Most of his movies, the ones worth watching were through Columbia, anyway.
Old 05-15-06, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is great!!! From the title I thought it was just going to be a re-hash of already released titles. Is it up for pre-order yet?
Old 05-15-06, 04:00 AM

The Naked Spur in my estimation is the best film of Anthony Mann's career. Superb. I am looking forward to just getting it.
Old 05-15-06, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I look forward to this. I'd buy the set just for The Spirit Of St. Louis, which my dad absolutely loves. Made him want to be a pilot, along with The Blue Max.

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I know what I'm getting my dad for xmas (coincidentally his name is Jimmy Stewart)
Fixed.
Old 05-15-06, 06:18 AM
Suspended

Oh man!
Old 05-15-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some terrific movies there - thanks again, WB!
Old 05-15-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have been waiting forever for The Spirit of St. Louis to come out on DVD. Yet another title on my waiting list I'll be able to cross off.
Old 05-15-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thats a great set....and I again I say, I hope it sells well so box two can contain Carbine Williams
Old 05-15-06, 12:27 PM

The DVDs also include expert commentaries, theatrical trailers for each film, and a bevy of vintage comedy shorts, classic cartoons that have become the distinctive hallmark of Warner Home Video classic DVD presentations.
Did anyone else see a commentary in the list of special features for any of the films? Call me blind, but I didn't.

Hey, as soon as I saw the film titles, I knew this collection would be mine. It just seems that, much like with the Ronald Reagan Collection, the lack of commentaries/historical perspective offered on these discs is a HUGE missed opportunity.

What parts of "The FBI Story" are true to the history of the bureau? (Not too many, considering the film was made with J. Edgar Hoover's complete cooperation. But most home video viewers will never know that.)

Viewing these films also begs questions like: What was Charles Lindbergh really like? Were Monty Stratton's struggles portrayed accurately? Could cowboys in the Old West really expect to find hookers in Cheyenne who looked like Shirley Jones (OK, maybe not )?

Some of these questions the History Channel attempted to answer in their "Movies Through Time" series, but it is, again, a real missed opportunity here to not address these issues in full through the DVD.
Old 05-15-06, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
thats a great set....and I again I say, I hope it sells well so box two can contain Carbine Williams
yeah, along with the mortal storm and shopworn angel.
Old 05-15-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Where's Broken Arrow? I've been waiting forever for that.
Old 05-16-06, 09:22 AM
GOS
Cool New Member

I wish Warners could acquire the rights to Stewart's 1953 flick The Glenn Miller Story, and give more respect to it than Universal have, by releasing it in it's proper aspect ratio
Old 08-15-06, 06:19 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'm really looking forward to picking this up, later today. I hope it's not too hard to find, though. I can't wait to watch these films. James Stewart is my favourite actor, but I'm still discovering a lot of the films that he was in.

Edit: Damn it! It seems it's not available in Canada for another two weeks. Argh.

Last edited by Wick; 08-15-06 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-21-07, 11:21 PM

Anyone know of any James Stewart films that will be released in '07?