DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Criterions with highest resale values? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/465000-criterions-highest-resale-values.html)

fliggil 05-10-06 04:52 PM

Criterions with highest resale values?

A local store is having a 50% off (though that's pretty much off list price) sale and they have a ton of DVDs, including a solid 50 or so Criterions. There's a bunch I plan to keep for myself, but I wouldn't mind buying some extras to resell and help fund my purchase. There's some titles like Arkadin and Battle of Algiers that at 50% come to $25 that are pretty solid deals, but it seems like a bunch of titles even sealed won't fetch more than 50% on eBay.

I skimmed through the Disney shelves and nothing really special there, anyone recommend any other kind of series or such that would still be in print and aren't usually discounted?

LiK 05-11-06 10:53 AM

from what i seen on ebay, they need to be OOP like Hard-Boiled or first print copies like Seven Samurai. i've seen those go for $100+ on ebay. even though Seven Samurai is rereleased, some hardcore fans want the first print copies.

renaldow 05-11-06 11:31 AM

Yep, unless they are OOP AND desirable, you'll probably lose money trying to ebay what the store has available to purchase. A lot of OOP's go for less than retail still. It's only the rare few that hit the high prices.

Shagrath 05-11-06 01:38 PM

I definately wouldn't buy them to try to turn a quick buck. The only titles that are going to fetch more than retail are going to be the OOP ones, as others have already stated.

However, most Criterion titles have a very good "trade" value on these boards, and others, and therefore, you could trade with other users and get a pretty good deal that way.

Titles that aren't usually high demand are things like:
Armageddon, The Rock, Chasing Amy, some of the Kurosawas, etc.

ThatGuamGuy 05-11-06 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by LiK
even though Seven Samurai is rereleased, some hardcore fans want the first print copies.

It has collector's value due to a featurette regarding the restoration which was removed from the subsequent printing (I believe not having the license for it was the reason it initially went out of print, not sure on that).

Titles that aren't usually high demand are things like:
Armageddon, The Rock, Chasing Amy, some of the Kurosawas, etc.
Which Kurosawas are cheap? I'd probably buy 'em if I saw them cheap on E-bay, but the only time I tried, I realized just after I'd bid that, in fact, that specific Kurosawa film had never been released by Criterion; I E-mailed the seller before I paid and said "Please tell me if this is a bootleg so we don't go through a hassle that will annoy both of us" and, with no response, figured I was safe to not pay.

To your list, I would add 'The Royal Tenenbaums' and maybe the one-disc 'Life Aquatic'.

Shagrath 05-11-06 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
Which Kurosawas are cheap?

I didn't say that any of the Kurosawas were "cheap", just that they weren't in as high a demand as other titles in the collection. You'll see people post stuff from the Kurosawa boxset on the Exchange forum regularly, and not get many bites.

To your list, I would add 'The Royal Tenenbaums' and maybe the one-disc 'Life Aquatic'.
Yes, those would also be rather "undesireable" in a 2nd hand market as well, since they're cheaper than the majority of the titles.

Bill Geiger 05-11-06 06:16 PM

Unless "Salo" and "The Killer" are included on that shelf, I wouldn't think of reselling.

Atreus 05-12-06 07:47 AM

It has collector's value due to a featurette regarding the restoration which was removed from the subsequent printing (I believe not having the license for it was the reason it initially went out of print, not sure on that).

Just in case any one is interested the restoration feature is still on the re-release and be viewed on your PC.

Buford T Pusser 05-12-06 09:20 AM

I picked up Sid and Nancy a few years back for $40 on eBay but I'm not sure what it's going for now.

I was thinking Peeping Tom was a bit higher than list but maybe I'm remembering incorrectly. I picked that up for about 30 percent off list.

Heat 05-13-06 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
Unless "Salo" and "The Killer" are included on that shelf, I wouldn't think of reselling.

You're thinking of reselling to make a profit. If there's a movie on the shelf that he really wants to watch and can sell it and break even (or a little loss), I say go for it. I've done this before when there's a movie that I can't find for rent around here.

headrippa 05-13-06 07:22 AM

I'm pretty sure the featurette is still on the dvd. You cant access it via your dvd player, but on your PC you can.

OldBoy 05-13-06 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by headrippa
I'm pretty sure the featurette is still on the dvd. You cant access it via your dvd player, but on your PC you can.

i never heard that.

Atreus 05-13-06 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598
i never heard that.

Really? I kinda of mentioned it 3 posts before ^ that one. :)

Just use a PC DVD player that will allow you to play individual files (PowerDVD works I think) and play VTS_02_1.VOB from the VIDEO_TS folder.

fliggil 05-13-06 12:27 PM

I wound up just picking up Mr. Arkadin, Ugetsu and the Stage And Spectacle Box. Did some researching and it just wasn't worth it to buy-to-resell at this point, and I really didn't have the extra cash lying around to buy more for myself, oh well can't complain.