Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dirty Harry collection goes on moratorium - 9.1.06

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JeremyM
I'm still on the fence on this set, I'm a huge Eastwood fan and own the original box set and not sure it's worth the upgrade, even for the badge and book and all that cool stuff. Someone make the decision for me!
I'd say hold off until you are Blu-ray capable.
Old 06-03-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
the single disc DH original comes with it as well. i got one for sale in exchange if interested. $10.00 shipped + "Sex and the City" Hollywood Movie Money ($10.50)
Are you saying that Dirty Harry came packaged with fucking Sex and the City movie money? Worst tie-in EVER.
Old 06-03-08, 10:22 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeremyM
I'm still on the fence on this set, I'm a huge Eastwood fan and own the original box set and not sure it's worth the upgrade, even for the badge and book and all that cool stuff. Someone make the decision for me!
Definitely go for it. This looks to be a great set. The bonus features are extensive and the package had a bunch of thought put into it.
Old 06-03-08, 10:22 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Are you saying that Dirty Harry came packaged with fucking Sex and the City movie money? Worst tie-in EVER.

it's the perfect cross over promotion:

"Honey? Did you have to purchase that DVD?"

"but lookie here, there's an included ticket to 'Sex and City' dear"

"ooohhh, you're so sweet"

"I know"
Old 06-03-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I'm another fence-sitter.
(FWIW, I've seen all the movies, but never bought any of the previous dvds)
I definitely want the original Dirty Harry movie, and I'm sorta interested in buying Dead Pool - the rest, not so much. But as a dvd collector this set seems too uber-cool to pass up.

Should I just get the 2-disc set of the first movie, or should I splurge on the collection, even though I don't care much for the middle movies?
Old 06-03-08, 04:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts
Originally Posted by droidguy1119
no i am not. i had the movie money already and putting it up with DH to sweeten the deal.
Old 06-03-08, 05:35 PM

i just saw all of these at best buy and ill admit that the individual releases look really cool. im gonna wait for an 8.99 price drop before i bite.
Old 06-03-08, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
I picked this up today at Target for $49.99.....they only had 2 copies. I have to say this is a beautiful set. The discs are packed very nicely and there is an extra case that has the bonus disc along with the police badge, posters and a note from Eastwood talking about the set. A small hard book is included that has some more information about the films.

I absolutely cannot wait to go through all these movies and watch all the extras!!

I have to say if your a film/dvd lover and a fan of the series, then definitely get this set. It's well worth every last dollar.

Personally, I would only get this set if you truly enjoy the movies and love extras. If you only care about Dirty Harry, then only buy the 2-disc set and maybe pick and choose the other movies you like.....they are all pretty affordable at roughly 9.99 a piece with DH being $14.99 right now.

Don't buy this set just to throw it in the closet and never watch it. I have a colleague who buys DVD's like crazy and never watches any of them, which IMO is such a waste of money.
Old 06-03-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Definitely go for it. This looks to be a great set. The bonus features are extensive and the package had a bunch of thought put into it.
I went for it, and I'll be honest, for a fan this set blows the other one out of the water. The other one was, well, cheap. I'm really impressed with this one, and I haven't watched a single thing yet!
Old 06-04-08, 01:34 AM

Has anyone tried to price match Target's price of $49.99 at Best Buy? I saw this set today, and I wouldn't mind picking up the Best Buy set if it were cheaper, or at least priced the same as Target. I might have to pass though, and hopefully pick it up later when funds allow. I don't know, if I can find the funds (and I'm pretty good at doing that for some reason when it comes to dvds I want), I might try to price match it at Best Buy this week.

For some crazy reason, I only have two of these movies (The Enforcer and Sudden Impact) in the snappers. Their still sealed, and that's only 'cos I've been wanting to buy the rest of them and watch them in order. Never really got around to it, and now this box set is out. I grew up watching these movies, and I will eventually have this in my collection if I don't wind up getting it this week.
Old 06-04-08, 05:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by WEEDEDOUT
i just saw all of these at best buy and ill admit that the individual releases look really cool. im gonna wait for an 8.99 price drop before i bite.
Good reminder!
Old 06-04-08, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mr. b_dvd
Has anyone tried to price match Target's price of $49.99 at Best Buy? I saw this set today, and I wouldn't mind picking up the Best Buy set if it were cheaper, or at least priced the same as Target. I might have to pass though, and hopefully pick it up later when funds allow. I don't know, if I can find the funds (and I'm pretty good at doing that for some reason when it comes to dvds I want), I might try to price match it at Best Buy this week.

I had no problem doing the Target pricematch at Best Buy yesterday.
Old 06-04-08, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy1961
Is the "Dossier" freebie any good? I was going to Best Buy, but it's a longer drive and I was on a time crunch so I just went to Target.
Old 06-04-08, 01:27 PM

A review of all 5 films is up on dvdcorner.net
http://www.dvdcorner.net/reviews/dvd...__5_films.html
Old 06-04-08, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by speedy1961
Thanks for the reply Speedy. I might have to give it a shot by the end of the week.
Old 06-04-08, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Good reminder!
You could also use a 10% off coupon next week. There's a 10% coupon out good 'til 6/16/08, and it's good for up to three dvds. It won't work on new releases, but I think that means this week only, not next week. You would knock off 1.00 off the 9.99 titles, and 1.49 off the first one. You'd also have to do it in two trips. I also think the slipcovers are pretty cool looking, with each bullet hole at the barrel of the gun. If you haven't seen them up close yet, the backs are printed with the back cover artwork, so they are not interchangeable. I'll probably still get the boxed set, but those singles sure look tempting.

Oh, if you need the coupon, I can post it.
Old 06-12-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So, does anyone with the BB exclusive Scorpio Criminal Dossier have any feedback on it? I didnt get one since I ordered from DD, but I'd like to know how worth it this item is or not. Scans would be cool, but just a note about it is good enough.
Old 06-12-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
So, does anyone with the BB exclusive Scorpio Criminal Dossier have any feedback on it? I didnt get one since I ordered from DD, but I'd like to know how worth it this item is or not. Scans would be cool, but just a note about it is good enough.

It's nothing special,but not bad either. Basically it has a 3-4 tiny photos of crime scenes with scorpio or police notes. A tiny copy of a police file on Scorpio with info. And a reprint of the note the Mayor reads at the starting of the film. And this bit made me laugh at the PCness of it. As the word 'Evidence' is stamped over the last word in the note. "..... a catholic priest..or a (EVIDENCE).

I only got the set at Best Buy since Target was out and I was able to price match it. Otherwise,I would have just picked it up at Target. The 'exclusive' really is nothing special in my opinion. And you are not missing anything at all.

Last edited by Julie Walker; 06-12-08 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-12-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Julie Walker
It's nothing special,but not bad either. Basically it has a 3-4 tiny photos of crime scenes with scorpio or police notes. A tiny copy of a police file on Scorpio with info. And a reprint of the note the Mayor reads at the starting of the film. And this bit made me laugh an the PCness of it. As the word 'Evidence' is stamped over the last word in the note. "..... a catholic priest..or a (EVIDENCE).

I only got the set at Best Buy since Target was out and I was able to price match it. Otherwise,I would have just picked it up at Target. The 'exclusive' really is nothing special in my opinion. And you are not missing anything at all.
Whew. Good to know since, being a rabid collector, I always want the best edition out there. I'll pass without thinking too much about it. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-12-08, 06:35 PM
Banned

Well, after bad mouthing this set before it hit the stores I bought it based on DVDTALK reviews. So I'm eating crow.
Old 06-21-08, 11:35 PM
Banned

But after viewing the first 3 movies the only thing I notice is over saturation.
I prefer the old set.
Old 06-22-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm absolutely loving this set. I watched The Enforcer last night and the movie looked pretty damn good to me for a 32 year old flick.

The extras on this set are pretty solid. I enjoy the fact that instead of focusing on the actual "Making of" these films, they are taking various themes, politics on what the Dirty Harry films have done for our society and how they have inspired other filmmakers. The interviews with the other directors are really insightful. I've watched most of the documentaries.
Old 06-22-08, 03:38 PM
Banned

It's a good set, but if you already own the first set which I do. It's not worth the upgrade.
Old 06-22-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Well it's a matter of opinion, but if you already own the set and don't care about extras, then I guess the old set is fine. I guess the issue for you is that some of the films don't have much replay value for you and I assume you don't really care about the extras.

But, you are getting a 2nd disc on on the Dirty Harry release with a new documentary on the franchise. Also, there is an additional 86 minute documentary on Clint Eastwood's legacy in films. I didn't buy the previous set, so I am loving what it's providing fans of the films.
Old 06-22-08, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
Well it's a matter of opinion, but if you already own the set and don't care about extras, then I guess the old set is fine. I guess the issue for you is that some of the films don't have much replay value for you and I assume you don't really care about the extras.

But, you are getting a 2nd disc on on the Dirty Harry release with a new documentary on the franchise. Also, there is an additional 86 minute documentary on Clint Eastwood's legacy in films. I didn't buy the previous set, so I am loving what it's providing fans of the films.
Exactly. I love special features, especially commentaries. The commentaries alone make this upgrade a no-brainer for me. If one is going to make a comparison, at least qualify your basis for comparison.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.