DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Universal Horror in September (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/464625-universal-horror-september.html)

shearerchic 05-07-06 01:43 PM

Universal Horror in September

In September 2006, Universal Home Video will release a 75th anniversary DVD collection of the original Dracula and Frankenstein movies. In addition, they will release classic DVD collections of the Boris Karloff and Lon Chaney movie libraries.

The Universal Studios Monsters are trademarks and copyrights of Uniyersal Studios. Licensed by Universal Studios Licensing LLLP.All rights reserved.

There's a 'groan' factor involved in re-releases of the Dracula and Frankenstein movies, though it is a little churlish to complain - it is the 75th anniversary after all - but Karloff and Chaney collections? Surely we are talking new, rather than recycled material here?

Al Padrino 05-07-06 05:15 PM

I'm down for everything, depending on what they do with the already-released stuff. Otherwise, forget it.

JOE29 05-07-06 05:18 PM

I already have those sets from Universal and they are quite good for me so sorry to say I won't be touching those to be re-released.

darkside 05-07-06 07:42 PM

Hey, I own the first two versions of Dracula why not a third? I've bought the classic monster films ever single time and will continue to shell my money out for them if they do some quality restorations or add some excellent new features. I also hope for more unreleased Karloff and Chaney.

I'm hoping for HD DVD versions as well.

Mr. Cinema 05-07-06 07:49 PM

I'm sure the Karloff and Chaney sets will be part of their "Franchise Collection" al la the Lugosi set. IF the picture on the original Dracula and Frankenstein is noticeably better than the previous versions, then I'll buy those.

Gobear 05-07-06 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I'm sure the Karloff and Chaney sets will be part of their "Franchise Collection" al la the Lugosi set. IF the picture on the original Dracula and Frankenstein is noticeably better than the previous versions, then I'll buy those.

I'm hoping that the Karloff collection won't be a repackaging of the Lugosi collection because Karloff costarred in most of the films in that set.

If Universal includes The Old Dark House, The Mask of Fu Manchu, andTower of London in the Karloff set, I say SOLD!

rw2516 05-08-06 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Gobear
I'm hoping that the Karloff collection won't be a repackaging of the Lugosi collection because Karloff costarred in most of the films in that set.

If Universal includes The Old Dark House, The Mask of Fu Manchu, andTower of London in the Karloff set, I say SOLD!

WB is releasing Mask of Fu Manchu this fall. Other Universal Karloffs-The Black Castle and Night Key(never on video).

Nebiroth 05-08-06 12:58 PM

Anyone wanna bet that they will still release all this stuff on crappy DVD-18 discs that don't play right?

And I suspect that the Lon Chaney/Boris Karloff movies will turn out to be the Wolf Man and Mummy films - in other words, a re-release of the re-release of these films rather than something new.

John Hodson 05-08-06 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by shearerchic
There's a 'groan' factor involved in re-releases of the Dracula and Frankenstein movies, though it is a little churlish to complain - it is the 75th anniversary after all - but Karloff and Chaney collections? Surely we are talking new, rather than recycled material here?

I couldn't have put it better myself...

darkside 05-08-06 01:24 PM

Image put out an excellent version of The Old Dark House. No reason to wait on that one.

Gobear 05-08-06 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by darkside
Image put out an excellent version of The Old Dark House. No reason to wait on that one.

Oh, EX-cellent! I'll be buying that today. Thanks!

evenswr 05-09-06 08:25 AM

Oh, EX-cellent! I'll be buying that today. Thanks!

...and shame on you for not buying it sooner. I love that disc.

Edit: Actually, I think it's out of print.

darkside 05-09-06 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by evenswr
...and shame on you for not buying it sooner. I love that disc.

Edit: Actually, I think it's out of print.

Amazon still has 2, but they are not discounted very well.

Davy Mack 05-09-06 03:50 PM

Can they PLEASE retsore DRACULA? It looks awful on the other disc. I know it's old but c'mon....

dvd-4-life 05-09-06 06:09 PM

Retsore???Is that short for retina sore-probably from Dracula being out in the sun too long-then again he might turn into toast.

Cameron 05-16-06 04:08 PM

sounds interesting...hope we see some new titles

Leechboy 05-16-06 07:00 PM

If they release these on single sided discs I am all over it.

Nebiroth 05-17-06 02:51 AM

Image released an excellent edition of The Old Dark House . It's officially out of print, but not too difficult to get hold of. DVDPacific for example, have yet to mark it as "Low Stock".

The Mask of Fu Manchu is coming from Warner - they have restored it from original film elements so it should look fantastic.

No word on Tower of London though.

rw2516 05-30-06 03:35 PM

According to the digital bits the Karloff set includes:THE BLACK CASTLE, CLIMAX, THE STRANGE DOOR, TOWER OF LONDON and NIGHT KEY(this is nice, never on video before in any format)
Also the complete INNER SANCTUM MYSTERIES film series. This must be the Lon Chaney box set since he stars in all six.
The DVD-18 problems threads are gonna get a lot longer.

Steve Phillips 05-30-06 06:48 PM

Besides the new 75th Anniversary editions, DRACULA and FRANKENSTEIN will even be released on HD-DVD according to some listings I saw.

darkside 05-30-06 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516
According to the digital bits the Karloff set includes:THE BLACK CASTLE, CLIMAX, THE STRANGE DOOR, TOWER OF LONDON and NIGHT KEY(this is nice, never on video before in any format)
Also the complete INNER SANCTUM MYSTERIES film series. This must be the Lon Chaney box set since he stars in all six.
The DVD-18 problems threads are gonna get a lot longer.

More DVD-18s pisses me off, but since my Denon can handle crap like that I will be all over these. The HD DVDs will be mine as well.

JOE29 05-30-06 06:54 PM

Is there a release date for The Mask of Fu Manchu from Warner yet? This sounds intresting.

PJAceto 05-31-06 06:27 AM

"The DVD-18 problems threads are gonna get a lot longer."
If you read the full Karloff set description, you'll see that they are NOT DVD-18s.

xage 06-01-06 03:19 PM

I dont think they would be making the same deluxe package as this one.

And as for me, Im happy with my set (not unless another set of bust in a package will be released?)

Originally Posted by shearerchic
In September 2006, Universal Home Video will release a 75th anniversary DVD collection of the original Dracula and Frankenstein movies. In addition, they will release classic DVD collections of the Boris Karloff and Lon Chaney movie libraries.

The Universal Studios Monsters are trademarks and copyrights of Uniyersal Studios. Licensed by Universal Studios Licensing LLLP.All rights reserved.

renaldow 06-02-06 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by PJAceto
"The DVD-18 problems threads are gonna get a lot longer."
If you read the full Karloff set description, you'll see that they are NOT DVD-18s.

Do you have a link to the full set description? I couldn't find one.