Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Scooby-Doo Seasons question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scooby-Doo Seasons question

I just bought the Scooby-Doo Dynomutt hour set and instead of having a plastic slipsleeve where part of it is clear and the inner digipak shows through (season 1 & 2 of scooby-doo where are you? and the best of the scooby movies sets are like that) it has the same design but is a standard cardboard slip cover and digipak. Are all copies of this set like that?

I can't say I mind the change, as the design is the same, but there was a certain "cool" factor with the plastic slip sleeve and the deseign on the digi pak matching up.
Old 05-04-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts
I believe the one I bought my fiancee was the same. I agree, the packaging was pretty cool with the slipcase lining up with the digipack. Not much we can do about it though. Kinda hard to make a custom cover like that
Old 05-04-06, 09:30 PM

I think they changed the packaging in order to save on shelf space. I also wasn't too crazy about the double sided discs, but I'm coping. I really hope they just put the remaining episodes (24, I think) of Scooby-Doo out in one set rather than splitting up the remaining two "seasons". I honestly tried to watch some of the Dynomutt Show, but it just seemed really silly. Granted, I never saw this when I was a kid so it doesn't have the same nostalgia factor that Scooby does.
Old 05-05-06, 01:25 PM

there are only 24 scooby-doo episodes left ? Is this counting every show that did NOT have scrappy-doo in it?

As a kid I watched this every day and it seems like there were many more than 4 series worth of shows. Here's another question, I haven't watched it yet, but I noticed the Scooby-doo Movies set is a "Best of". Are there missing episodes from this series (do to rights I would imagine) ? If so, how many are missing ?
Old 05-05-06, 02:02 PM

It was always my understanding that the seasons 1/2 set covered all the original episodes, before Scrappy came along (and it jumped the shark IMO), excluding the specials and movies.

If that's not true, I'd like to know as well.
Old 05-05-06, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by neilo13
there are only 24 scooby-doo episodes left ? Is this counting every show that did NOT have scrappy-doo in it?

As a kid I watched this every day and it seems like there were many more than 4 series worth of shows. Here's another question, I haven't watched it yet, but I noticed the Scooby-doo Movies set is a "Best of". Are there missing episodes from this series (do to rights I would imagine) ? If so, how many are missing ?
The 24 left refers to 'The Scooby Doo Show' which is the blanket name given during syndication to the episodes from Scooby/Dynomutt, Scooby's Laff-a-lympics, Scooby's All Stars, and some episodes that ran on their own. After that comes the Scrappy episodes.
For the Scooby-Movies, yes, there are episodes missing. There were 24 but 9 were missing because of rights issues with the celebrity likenesses.
Old 05-06-06, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by joltman
The 24 left refers to 'The Scooby Doo Show' which is the blanket name given during syndication to the episodes from Scooby/Dynomutt, Scooby's Laff-a-lympics, Scooby's All Stars, and some episodes that ran on their own. After that comes the Scrappy episodes.
For the Scooby-Movies, yes, there are episodes missing. There were 24 but 9 were missing because of rights issues with the celebrity likenesses.
Anybody know which 9 episodes are missing? (please don't say Phyllis Diller)
Old 05-08-06, 07:12 AM

The episodes missing are: (ignore the links, they are from the Wikipedia)
1.3 "Scooby-Doo Meets the Addams Family (aka "Wednesday is Missing") The Addams Family September 23, 1972
1.6 "A Good Medium is Rare" Phyllis Diller October 14, 1972
1.7 "Sandy Duncan's Jekyll and Hyde" Sandy Duncan October 21, 1972
1.8 "The Secret of Shark Island" Sonny and Cher October 28, 1972
1.13 "The Haunted Horseman of Hagglethorn Hall" Davy Jones December 2, 1972
1.14 "The Phantom of the Country Music Hall" Jerry Reed December 9, 1972
2.2 "Scooby-Doo Meets Jeannie" (aka "Mystery in Persia") the cast of Jeannie September 15, 1973
2.3 "The Haunted Showboat" the cast of Josie and the Pussycats September 22, 1973
2.5 "The Spirited Spooked Sports Show" Tim Conway October 6, 1973

Last edited by joltman; 05-08-06 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-16-07, 06:25 PM

Bump.

I was just browsing over at Amazon and came across this:

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000M2E...852487-2925615

I think it's the rest of the remaining "original" episodes, but there might be a few more that are not included.

Edit: After consulting wikipedia and my previous posts, it does look like there are eight more episodes that are not in this set. I wish they would've just put them altogether in one release rather than splitting them up. Too bad.

Technically, there was no third season of "Where Are You?" but I'll let that slide in order to get some more Scooby Doo on DVD!

Last edited by ltrain; 01-16-07 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-17-07, 05:31 AM

The "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?" third season kind of was actually a third season. In 1978, 9 of the 16 episodes that are going to be on that set did run with the Where Are You title card and sequence when they originally aired. The last 7 were part of the Scooby's All Stars programming block.
As for those 8 other episodes, from 1977, I don't know what they'll do with those. They ran as part of the Scooby's All Star Laff-A-Lympics programming block, along with Laff-A-Lympics, Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels and Dynomutt, Wonder Dog, so I don't know if they'll put all of those in one big set or not.

EDIT: My math was bad

Last edited by joltman; 01-18-07 at 05:33 AM.
Old 01-17-07, 01:14 PM

I guess I stand corrected. Unfortunately some of the missing episodes are ones I haven't seen in years. The episode with the phantom race car driver was great and the one where they go on that cruise ship with the professor's time machine was classic! Even the one about the terradactyl creature at the hang gliding competition brings back some fond memories.

It looks like some of the later episodes that will be included are some of the lamer ones. "The Menice in Venice" comes to mind. I don't even think the main bad guy was a monster or anything, just a dude. I could be wrong though.
Old 01-17-07, 03:41 PM
Bye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm confused. Are any "Laff-A-Lympics" segments gonna be on this release (or any future one), or is it just more mysteries?
Old 01-18-07, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Adams
I'm confused. Are any "Laff-A-Lympics" segments gonna be on this release (or any future one), or is it just more mysteries?
Just mysteries. Scooby's All-Star Laffalympics was just a package show, with 4 segments: Scooby-Doo, Laff-A-Lympics, Dynomutt, Dog Wonder and Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels. The next year it was renamed to Scooby's All Stars and had the same shows minus Dynomutt, Dog Wonder. 7 of the 16 episodes that will be on Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? ran in the Scooby's All Stars package, but were still standard Scooby episodes.
As for whether Laff-A-Lympics segments willl be on any future release, I don't know, but I hope so.