Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Original Star Wars Trilogy Being Re-Released On DVD...The Non-SEs

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-06, 11:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott1598
and thus it isn't presented how it was when it was first released was what i was saying so Please, please, please, please, please understand what i actually wrote in my post. i know anything can be made anamorphic and would love it if it were, thus giving me higher resolution and better picture, but that isn't how i saw it in 1977 with my dad so why would i care if it wasn't transformed for this release. why cry over spilt milk and take what you can get...true masterpieces in their originally shown theatrical form!
thank you and good night!
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the resolution that we saw on the theater screen in '77 better than what we can get on an HDTV. Isn't what all HT enthusiasts are trying to do with their HT setups is to get as close as possible to what it is like at a theater?

As to the little kids at rebelscum liking the prequels more than the ONLY Star Wars trilogy. I can understand most of the 20 and under crowd enjoying the prequels more. The prequels are what they grew up with. Now, if I were to actually be face to face with someone my age (32) or older who is insistant that the prequels are better, I would probably backhand them, due to the fact that they more than likely still live with their mommy.
Old 05-23-06, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Terrell
What details? We don't even have any details yet. Where did you get $40 each?
Of course we have details. The original Lucas press release provides "details". The various news reports we've had lately are details (despite your persistent attempts to discredit them).

Sorry to break it to you.

As for the $40+, see post 637. Official order sheet, SRP of $43-$48.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=637
Old 05-23-06, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't believe that after this many years, perhaps even at the tail end of the DVD format itself, there are still so many longtime participants at this and other forums that have NO CLUE what an anamorphic transfer is. It's really scary what comes out when people actually express their thoughts.

DJ
Old 05-23-06, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know anything can be made anamorphic and would love it if it were, thus giving me higher resolution and better picture, but that isn't how i saw it in 1977 with my dad so why would i care if it wasn't transformed for this release.
You're right. As others have noted, what you saw in 1977 wasn't digital video anamorphically encoded on an optical disc for the best possible resolution. What you saw was a presentation on film, which quality is yet unmatched by digital media.

You seem to understand what anamorphic means, but your comments make no sense. How one sees a movie in the theater and how that movie is put on DVD are unrelated. Anamorphic encoding means using as many pixels as possible to gain as defined a picture as possible. That's all. Has nothing to do with how a movie was shown in theaters.

--THX
Old 05-23-06, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
Anamorphic encoding means using as many pixels as possible to gain as defined a picture as possible.
Using as many pixels as possible on a 16x9 screen, anyway. Just as non-anamorphic encoding utilizes as many pixels as possible on a 4x3 screen. Which should make it all the more obvious (but it won't - anyone too dense to get it at this point never will) why anamorphic encoding doesn't change anything: it just makes the most efficient use of pixels for a one type of monitor over another. Non-anamorphic encoding, which maximizes pixel usage on a 4x3 screen, doesn't change anything, either.

Anamorphic encoding doesn't change a film moreso than any other kind of video transfer does, be it non-anamorphic SD, HD, or anything else. 'Anamorphic' is just a word. But sometimes even a single word is enough to overpower the minds of some.

DJ
Old 05-23-06, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw
As for the $40+, see post 637. Official order sheet, SRP of $43-$48.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=637
That's 43-48 Canadian dollars, and how much the SRP will be in Canada. For the US, the SRP is the fairly standard US$29.98, or what the SRP for the prequel DVDs originally were. Episode III DVD has an SRP of $29.98, yet was selling for $14.99 the week of release.
Old 05-23-06, 12:20 PM

Crap, time to unload the Definitive Edition of the Laser Discs....

Just got an FYE email saying $13 a pop after rebate.... Lucas is the master at getting my money away from me.

But... I think I'll wait for HD-DVD or Blu-Ray versions he's gonna do one, the other or both.
Old 05-23-06, 12:30 PM

Denial is not a river in Eygpt, so for those that doubt this release of the OOT will be non-anamorphic, have a look here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...&postcount=371
Old 05-23-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Because of the source for the rumors, I was sure it was true. But seeing it confirmed makes it even more upsetting.
Old 05-23-06, 12:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
Denial is not a river in Eygpt, so for those that doubt this release of the OOT will be non-anamorphic, have a look here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...&postcount=371
From me and the Star Wars tattoo on my arm: "Fuck Luca$"

And I hope he has a nice THX equilizer on these discs as well. That'd be a great kick in the ass.
Old 05-23-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd rather give my money to bootleggers. Hell, I just checked ebay and there are anamorphic versions of the original uncut trilogy being sold. Apparently pretty high quality. Tempting....very tempting.
Old 05-23-06, 12:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
eh, we'll all believe it when we see it. anything can happen in 4 months.
Banned

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell
I'd rather give my money to bootleggers. Hell, I just checked ebay and there are anamorphic versions of the original uncut trilogy being sold. Apparently pretty high quality. Tempting....very tempting.
Never buy. There are many resources out there to get them for free.

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Never buy. There are many resources out there to get them for free.
do tell?
Old 05-23-06, 01:00 PM
Banned

do tell?
Torrents. I haven't used them because I have the LD's, but there are many torrents for the anamorphic trilogy.
Old 05-23-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by BuddyRevell
Which still won't look as good as a NON-Anamorphic DVD from Lucasfilm. They took a Non-Anamorphic laserdisc and upscaled it to be anamorphic. I will 1000% guarantee the official discs will look MUCH better than ANY of the boots. (and yes, I've seen the anamorphic boots)
Old 05-23-06, 01:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Which still won't look as good as a NON-Anamorphic DVD from Lucasfilm. They took a Non-Anamorphic laserdisc and upscaled it to be anamorphic. I will 1000% guarantee the official discs will look MUCH better than ANY of the boots. (and yes, I've seen the anamorphic boots)
Ever heard of principle?

I'm not buying them. Not a chance. Whether I get them from "other sources" is debateable.

At the moment, the buyer is getting screwed and George can finally say "look. they'll buy anything i put out."
Old 05-23-06, 01:28 PM

how bout...no DTS = no sale!
Old 05-23-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder how long Lucasfilm thought they were going to get away with this announcement? It burns me when I think about the way it was originally worded.

"State of the art for 1993" apparently translates to "non-anamorphic." But they obviously were smart enough to not say "non-anamorphic" or there would be an angry mob with torches and pitch forks surrounding the ranch.

So did they really think they were going to fool us into buying this overpriced crap??? The THX logo has now been reduced to a pathetic joke!!!
Old 05-23-06, 02:28 PM

I said this in the HTF thread, but thought I would repeat it here because I seemed to have started a bit of a firestorm by posting that link to Ron Epstein's post at the HTF:

If Lucasfilm would just come out and say that they are truly going to use this release to gauge interest in the OOT and fund a complete reconstruction/restoration if the numbers bear it out, it would totally change my outlook on this release.

I know that a lot of you will say that we shouldn't have to fund one because we're fans and we're owed it, etc. But ultimately, the end product, a reconstructed/restored OOT in state-of-the-art A/V quality, is more important to me personally. I once said I would pay $100 a piece for OOT to come out in such a fashion on DVD, so I think I'd be willing to pay $13 a piece to show there's a viable market for such a thing.
Old 05-23-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know, Paul. If Lucasfilm were to say that, I would REALLY think they were stringing us along to get us to double/triple/quadruple dip! They would pretty much be tipping their hand to reveal an anamorphic edition was right around the corner.
Old 05-23-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seems like a catch-22 to me. If you announce it, far less people will buy into it. Those that do will bitch about the double-dip. Seems easier to just fund the restoration themselves and release them at a higher price point instead of making the consumer purchase twice, assuming enough people buy the first version to make the second possible.
Old 05-23-06, 02:47 PM

rennervision,

I think we already know that they are stringing us along. They been doing it since home video's birth.

pinata242,

I completely agree. I'd pay a considerable amount to get this films presented in a manner that does them justice. I'd prefer it done right the first time, but I think Lucas is convinced there isn't a market for them. This release is kind of set up to prove him right, and I want to do my part to prove him wrong, even if it means buying a non-anamorphic version first, and, possibly, last.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't pretty much sums up this situation in a nutshell.
Old 05-23-06, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
That's 43-48 Canadian dollars, and how much the SRP will be in Canada.
Yeah. I'm like Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by pinata242
Seems like a catch-22 to me. If you announce it, far less people will buy into it.
It's also a lovely self fulfilling prophecy they've got going here. They release the originals in shit condition, the sales will be crappy because of the scores of us who would have bought them but don't buy them because of the SE's being included, non-anamorphic etc.

And then they say "See? We told you no one wanted the original trilogy!"
Old 05-23-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6337246.html

Lucasfilm: Original Star Wars 'bonus'
Fans protest release of laserdisc prints on DVD

By Susanne Ault 5/23/2006

MAY 23 | In the wake of extreme fan protests, Lucasfilm is positioning its release of the original ’70s theatrical versions of the first three Star Wars movies as bonus features.

As groused about on various DVD enthusiast Web sites, including www.thedigitalbits.com and www.hometheaterforum.com, Lucasfilm confirmed the studio is not remastering these early films. The prints for the Sept. 12 DVDs of Star Wars: Episode IV—A New Hope, Star Wars: Episode V—The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars: Episode VI—Return of the Jedi come from laserdiscs of the films released in the mid ’90s. This means that Episodes IV-V1 will bow in their original film composition, not in the more cinematic anamorphic widescreen transfer.

Lucasfilm acknowledges that some imperfections are embedded in the prints, but director of publicity John Singh said the company felt there was little need to invest resources into sprucing up films that have already been restored to pristine form.

Special edition versions of the films with additions made by George Lucas were released in theaters in the ’90s and on DVD in 2004.

“We put a lot of time and effort into digitally restoring the negatives for the 2004 DVD releases,” Singh said. “The late ’90s theatrical versions represent George’s vision for Star Wars. We hoped that by releasing the original movies as a bonus disc, it would be a way to give the fans something that is fun. We certainly didn’t want to be become a source of frustration for fans.”

Although the prints aren’t in the best of shape, the masters used for the laserdiscs “do look good,” Singh assured.

Both old and new versions of Episodes IV-VI will be included in the Sept. 14 Star Wars sets, to be distributed by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. The revamped ’90s theatrical versions will be offered in widescreen.

This release also represents the first time the movies will be available individually.

Fans have threatened to boycott buying the original Star Wars films if they aren’t cleaned up.

“These are the versions that the fans saw as kids back in the ’70s—this was how they grew up,” said Ron Epstein, HomeTheaterForum.com co-owner. “George doesn’t like these versions, and it’s not the way he wants his legacy to be remembered. But fans [are saying], ‘You aren’t doing us a favor [in putting out] what basically amounts to a laserdisc transfer.”

Aware of the uproar, Lucasfilm is in the process of directly contacting its upset fan base in an attempt to smooth things over.

Some fans had been speculating that Lucasfilm was saving its big gun efforts for the new generation DVD formats. But the company said that at this time, there are no plans to release the original ’70s Star Wars versions in high-definition.

“We absolutely appreciate the fact that these fans are so passionate,” Singh said. “It’s indicative of the fact that they care so much about Star Wars.”

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.