Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Original Star Wars Trilogy Being Re-Released On DVD...The Non-SEs

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-06, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dunno. Wait till it's confirmed.

Cause Lucas is a tech nut. I don't know why he'd release the movies this way, but then screw off on the anamorphic..Especially when it has the THX resoration crap on the art....Arg.

But then again, a lot of stuff he does doesn't make sense.
Old 05-19-06, 01:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Masamune
I dunno. Wait till it's confirmed.

Cause Lucas is a tech nut. I don't know why he'd release the movies this way, but then screw off on the anamorphic..Especially when it has the THX resoration crap on the art....Arg.

This isn't rumor the bits got this info from Fox and Lucasfilm. Though Lucas saved me some money. I was juggling in my head whether to sell my 2004 discs and buy the new versions but without anamorphic encoding its just not worth it. Even without anamorphic encoding and the same masters the DVDs should still look about 30% better then the laserdisc but the hypocrisy is unbelievable. Even if Lucasfilm only considers the original versions as an extra all the extras on the previous Star Wars DVDs got anamorphic encoding. These are given worse treatment then the anamatics. Thats just unacceptable. Since I preffer at least 90% of the changes in the 2004 versions I see no reason to spend my money if Lucasfilm is so unwilling to spend any of theres. First Justice League and now this is hollywood going back to the 90s.
Old 05-19-06, 01:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkPish
I really hope you are joking. The artwork has been posted over and over already and the discussion has already been going on about the non-anamorphic releases. Go back a few pages to see.
i didn't see the artwork only the non-anny talk. this was posted only yesterday so i didn't think it was. sorry!
Old 05-19-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy 345
This isn't rumor the bits got this info from Fox and Lucasfilm.
If you back up about 5 pages, you'll see several examples of The Bits claiming information from studio 'sources' that later turned out to be untrue. Until you get a direct confirmation, I would still consider this rumor. Likely, maybe... but certainly not confirmed.

Originally Posted by Masamune

Exactly... don't forget that this "tech nut" originally put out Episode I on VHS only in the States. Not even a laserdisc (although Japan got one).

It's sometimes hard to fathom these decisions. He spends tons of $$$ and energy on digital projection to get things 'just right', but they drops the ball constantly on the home theater front. From the technical glitches on the initial pressings of the "Definitive" LD set, to the over the top edge enhancement on Ep. I, to the audio issues on the Ep. IV DVD... the hits just keep on coming.
Old 05-19-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Exactly... don't forget that this "tech nut" originally put out Episode I on VHS only in the States. Not even a laserdisc (although Japan got one).
Wasn't he not going to release the prequels on DVD at all until all three had come out? I seem to remember that, but it may have just been a rumor.

He spends tons of $$$ and energy on digital projection to get things 'just right', but they drops the ball constantly on the home theater front. From the technical glitches on the initial pressings of the "Definitive" LD set, to the over the top edge enhancement on Ep. I, to the audio issues on the Ep. IV DVD... the hits just keep on coming.
It's funny, that second sentence is exactly why I've never taken that first sentence seriously; when Lucas goes on about how digital projection looks just as good as film, and how his CGI looks photo-realistic, I just think "If you think that, it's no wonder the DVD quality control has suffered so much..."
Old 05-19-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Wow. Talk about the internet version of getting kicked in the nuts. I don't endorse inferior products, and never will. Looks like this will be my third boycott for the Star Wars DVDs.

And on a side note, to any Lucas defender who wants to defend his decision to do this - I am now convinced you will defend him no matter what he does.
Old 05-19-06, 02:45 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by milo bloom:
One thing in our favor is a posting on thedigitalbits this morning by one Robert Harris. This is the dude that restores films like Lawrence of Arabia, Spartacus and Vertigo, actual mainstream cinema. He's got some interesting things to say, and I think everyone would do well to read it.
I read this, too. What this makes me think is that after HD-DVD is past its infancy, Lucasfilm will decide to go ahead restore these so they can hype a "Restored, Anamorphic, HD" version of the original films. Fans wanted the original trilogy on DVD - they're getting it. Now fans want the anamorphic versions. Well, they'll probably get them eventually, but only after most people have bought the previous edition. If Lucasfilm does restore these down the road, I'd love to see them strike a few release prints and make them available to be seen in theaters in their original form. It's film history for chrissake!

BTW...I "extensively searched" my movie collection and found the EXACT SAME source that Lucasfilm is using for these DVDs. Of course, I have a used laserdisc set from ebay - they probably had an unopened one lying around somewhere.
Old 05-19-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by eddiemunster
Fans wanted the original trilogy on DVD - they're getting it. Now fans want the anamorphic versions.
Correction: fans wanted the original trilogy on anamorphic DVD from the beginning (or, at least, since it became a "special feature" of the same ilk as "chapter stops" and "interactive menus"). They just assumed that "released" implied "released at something remotely approaching the general stated standards that Lucasfilm and 'Star Wars' have traditionally come to mean".

Here's something I don't get: The claim is that the negatives were destroyed when they were restoring all the footage in 1997, right? What I don't understand is, how did they restore it at the time? They couldn't have been simultaneously restoring it *and* incoporating the new stuff, right? It stands to reason that they restored it first and then CGIed in whatever new shit ... so can't they just delete the stuff that they added? I'm not suggesting it's as simple as just hitting "undo" a few times, but I can't think of a single reason why computers would be unable to remove what computers added in the first place. This would probably leave a few specific shots to be restored [anything which was completely replaced by CGI], but I don't see how that could be all that difficult.
Old 05-19-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"released" implied "released at something remotely approaching the general stated standards that Lucasfilm and 'Star Wars' have traditionally come to mean"
Exactly.

If the opposite was true, the term "released" would mean that Lucasfilm could just sit and run a VHS copy over a computer and burn the master from there and say it is released. And to tell you the truth, its not far from what they are doing.

Their disignenious use of the word "bonus feature" is also complete crapola. Either they are doing that to avoid paying money to the original collaborators (as T Bone suggests) or doing it as a way to cover a wholly inadequate technical release (as I now think). But when they use these 'bonus features' to sell re-releases, their total neglect of these features is just plain sad.
Old 05-19-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What I don't understand is, how did they restore it at the time?
Well that was the whole issue back in 1997 or so when Lucas and/or Lucasfilm said the original negatives don't exist anymore. I think they explained is that instead of cleaning the master and then adding the digial effects, they basically did both at the same time. I guess it probably saved some money, and the way Lucas was swearing off the original version at the time, I guess it made sense for him.
Old 05-19-06, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
I'm not exactly endorsing the bootlegs (and I should point out, I intend to buy the release and have no 'Star Wars' bootleg in my collection, because I started to look on ebay about two weeks before this announcement, thinking I might finally buy it, and I had a lot more trouble finding it than it used to be ... I think they were cracking down), but some of them are anamorphic, and the bootleggers generally have a better record of quality control when compared to Lucas's previous release of these films. I have heard nothing about audio problems. I am even aware (thanks to HTF) of a bootlegger who has successfully removed the garbage mattes ... which Lucas didn't do.

I'm just sayin', don't discount the amount of time and effort some people have put into bootlegs.
I haven't discounted anything, as I own everything the official DVD's and have many of the fan made ones as well.

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Exactly. Your boots are just zoomed in (with duplicated scan lines). They don't have any actual increased screen resolution.

This is all theoretical at this point, but a properly mastered non-anamorphic transfer from the original D2 masters zoomed in manually on your 16x9 set should look significantly better than a bootleg sourced from a laserdisc and then manipulated to be 16x9.

[These are just the facts. It shouldn't be read as any sort of defense of Lucasfilm. I still think that to finally release these after all this time -- and hype the hell out of it -- only to have them be non-anamorphic is a travesty.]
Agree with this perfectly. No defense at all, but to compare boots to anything official is insane.

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
If you assume that it will be properly mastered, then I'd say, yes, it will be better overall than any bootleg. However, as soon as the bootleggers have this and stretch it out to anamorphic, which will look better?

I think assuming it will be properly mastered is a big assumption, given (strike 1) the 2004 release's audio problems and (strike 2) the indifference they're showing this release.
Garbage in > Garbage out. I doubt any "bootmaster" can do anything with this release to make it look better than does to start with.
Old 05-19-06, 03:29 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy:
Correction: fans wanted the original trilogy on anamorphic DVD from the beginning (or, at least, since it became a "special feature" of the same ilk as "chapter stops" and "interactive menus"). They just assumed that "released" implied "released at something remotely approaching the general stated standards that Lucasfilm and 'Star Wars' have traditionally come to mean".
Absolutely. One would assume that just about any film with a widescreen OAR would be given the anamorphic treatment when released on DVD - especially in the year 2006. I just think they will baby-step this. First it is simply released on the format, then - after a whole lot of complaining - it is released in a version that is up to a technical standard.

From everything else I've read here I don't need to say that Lucasfilm is notorious for making fans settle for something, only to turn around and eventually give them what they want. Whether it's money or ignorance behind their contradictions - I'm not even going to weigh in on that.
Old 05-19-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jimmy 345
By the bits and they seem pretty damn sure too.
AHH! Your'e back. Thank you for backing EXACTLY WHAT I WAS FUCKING SAYING.

Bill Hunt and TDB ARE NOT official LFL or Fox sources. Reading is fundamental. But then you know that, and I guess I should know better than to feed the trolls.

Last edited by Qui Gon Jim; 05-19-06 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-19-06, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chanster
I think they explained is that instead of cleaning the master and then adding the digial effects, they basically did both at the same time. I guess it probably saved some money, and the way Lucas was swearing off the original version at the time, I guess it made sense for him.
I totally understand why that would be the way he explained it, and a convenient way to write off the originals; what I'm saying is, to my mind, it doesn't actually make sense.

"Restoration" and "brand new CGI effects" would be, as I see it, two wholly different processes. Even if you were doing them at exactly the same time, you would have one crew working on the new effects and somebody else doing the actual restoring, and then you'd put them together, right?

But that's what I'm not totally sure on; I may be misunderstanding the process, and would definitely appreciate any insight anybody might have.

Last edited by ThatGuamGuy; 05-19-06 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-19-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
There is a new thread over at the HTF that is being watched by not only Lucasfilm, but others in the HT industry. If you're member over there also, please head on over and make your voice (politely!) heard.

I think the fact that Lucasfilm is watching thread pretty much assures that the DVDs as they currently stand are non-anamorphic. Please keep this thread alive, with your polite comments. Forget what the fans deserve, Star Wars deserves to be seen in the highest possible quality.
Old 05-19-06, 05:21 PM

The below is my email to Lucasfilm:

It is with great disappointment that I learned that the 2nd discs of your upcoming re-issue of the classic trilogy will only contain re-hashed 4:3 letterbox presentations last used on the laserdisc releases from the mid-1990s (which I already own). To issue DVDs at this stage of the format's lifespan and not make them enhanced for display on 16:9 high definition TV sets is unacceptable. Fox Home video stopped using recycled laserdisc transfers after their first batch of titles released on DVD in the late 90s, and they have been true to their work, delivering terrific product since then. I assume calling the inclusion of the unaltered versions & labeling them simply as "bonus material" is a way to side-step the giant step backward in quality that these non-anamorphic discs will represent.

I am by no means wealthy, but several years ago I made the long-term investment in two 16:9 HD Mitsubishi sets in my home (42" and 65"), and own nearly 1,000 titles on DVD. I vote with my wallet and do not reward studios who produce sub-standard product. At this point in the life of the DVD format, even small niche titles get DVD releases using the best possible elements and disc enhancement for 16:9 monitors is standard. My friends, accquaintances and co-workers frequently ask for my advice on titles and equipment and listen to my recommendations of quaility product to seek out and purchase. If you choose to procede with releasing the classic unaltered trilogy with non-enhanced 4:3 letterbox transfers, I will certainly encourage anyone within earshot to avoid them. The making-of featurettes and trailers were anamorpically enhanced on your previous Star Wars DVD releases, and the THX seal has always promised the best possible audio and video presentation, so to do less with this release is beneath the standard your company has always acheieved. These films are a proud part of American cinema history and deserve better.

Notice that I haven't even mentioned how much of a Star Wars fan I am. I am 37, married to an understanding wife, and have two of each figure released since 1995, plus playsets, comics--an attic full of items. Admittedly, I did sell of my childhood collection of 1978-1985 items when the Special Editions were released thearically, and its appreciation in value made for the downpayment on our home. However, I was also a film major in college, and I am upset any time a film is given a shoddy home video release. This particular release just stings a bit more. I would happily purchase these upcoming releases if the material was receiving the best treatment and presentation the DVD format can offer. But this seems a quick & dirty way to grab some 4th quarter sales with little effort on the company's part to produce a quality product. As it stands now, I will not be buying, and I will encourage anyone else who will listen to avoid this product as well...

I sincerely hope that your company puts more effort and releases the unaltered trilogy with high-quality transfers and anamorphically enhanced DVDs. To treat them no better than a 4:3 video-based EPK would be shameful. If it means spending a bit more money to do it right or delaying the releases by a few weeks, I think a wealthy, resourceful company like Lucasfilm can manage it. And the fans will certainly appreciate your efforts.
Old 05-19-06, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dear Phaseturner,

The special edition, that’s the one I wanted out there. The other movie, it’s on VHS, if anybody wants it. ... I’m not going to spend the, we’re talking millions of dollars here, the money and the time to refurbish that, because to me, it doesn’t really exist anymore. It’s like this is the movie I wanted it to be, and I’m sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it. But I want it to be the way I want it to be. I’m the one who has to take responsibility for it. I’m the one who has to have everybody throw rocks at me all the time, so at least if they’re going to throw rocks at me, they’re going to throw rocks at me for something I love rather than something I think is not very good, or at least something I think is not finished.

You'll get what you'll get. So, in other words, suck it.

Love,

George Lucas
Old 05-19-06, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Wannabe
Dear Phaseturner,

The special edition, that’s the one I wanted out there. The other movie, it’s on VHS, if anybody wants it. ... I’m not going to spend the, we’re talking millions of dollars here, the money and the time to refurbish that, because to me, it doesn’t really exist anymore. It’s like this is the movie I wanted it to be, and I’m sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it. But I want it to be the way I want it to be. I’m the one who has to take responsibility for it. I’m the one who has to have everybody throw rocks at me all the time, so at least if they’re going to throw rocks at me, they’re going to throw rocks at me for something I love rather than something I think is not very good, or at least something I think is not finished.

You'll get what you'll get. So, in other words, suck it.

Love,

George Lucas
LOL!
Old 05-19-06, 05:38 PM
Banned

Maybe I missed it...

Where the hell does it say that Lucasfilm is reading through all this crap?
Old 05-19-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Maybe I missed it...

Where the hell does it say that Lucasfilm is reading through all this crap?
They're reading the HTF thread; any of Ron Epstein's posts in the thread say so. (The open thread, not the closed one, which they were previously reading.)
Old 05-19-06, 05:44 PM

No, it's the HTF thread that Lucasfilm is monitoring....

unless you count George "Wannabe" Lucas' personal response to me.
Old 05-19-06, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Bill Hunt and TDB ARE NOT official LFL or Fox sources. Reading is fundamental.
Look, if you want to hold off on complaining until such time as it's officially announced, or officially released, or anything like that, go ahead. But, based on Bill Hunt/digital bits, Ron Epstein/home theater forum, and Robert Harris all stating that this is the current plan, along with the fact that Lucasfilms has been bombarded with phone calls, faxes, and E-mails about this for 2 days straight now without *any* attempt to stop the story (surely if it were true, all they'd have to do would be contact either any of those people or any of the myriad of other DVD sites, or tell somebody to stop calling them because it's a false rumor), I personally think you're living in a delusion.

However, I hold out hope for a time some time in the near future when Lucasfilms backs down, then officially announces that it will be anamorphic (maybe even saying they never intended otherwise), and y'all "unofficial!" folks all say "I toldja so." Those of us who have been lobbying the complaints and getting our voices heard will be happy just to have the proper release.
Old 05-19-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Well, I don't think it's a stretch to imagine what forum they're talking about

From the HTF...
Originally Posted by Ron Epstein

Have spoken with editors from both Home Media Retailing
and Video Store Magazine. They are both very interested
in covering this story. Monday deadlines have been reached so it
will be another week before these stories emerge.

Two very funny stories....

When I spoke with one of the magazines, I was told that their
office was already "buzzing" about this Star Wars issue by staff
who read this forum prior to my phone call. Seems like everybody
who is a fan is taking notice of the injustice being done to this set.

Also, I happened to venture to another noteable DVD discussion
forum and had a good laugh. Their members are reporting that Bill
Hunt has got his facts wrong since his information didn't come from
Lucasfilm or Fox.

Well, let me help set the record straight. What Bill has reported
is absolute truth. Please let the other forum(s) know that you read
it here and on THE BITS first and it has been verified!
What more do you people need? Not only are you wrong, but this forum is being made a laughingstock in the rest of the community.
It's *almost* making me regret cancelling my membership over there oh so many years ago over something very trivial when I look at it now.

And something else, if you're fine with these transfers being non-anamorphic for whatever your reasons are, fine. Just don't drag the rest of us down with you. We care about preservation, and we care about these films being presented in the best possible manner available on DVD.
Old 05-19-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They're reading the HTF thread; any of Ron Epstein's posts in the thread say so.
Yeah, right! I'm sure Lucas is sitting in front of his computer scouring HTF. Lucas isn't giving the HTF the time of day. I'm sure they'd like to think that, but Lucas couldn't give a rat's ass about us internet nerds say. Maybe a second-tier Lucasfilm rep is looking at the thread, but Lucas and Ward sure as hell aren't.

Last edited by Terrell; 05-19-06 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-19-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what is the average advance time between production and street date? Are these dvds already made up sitting in a warehouse? If Lucas backs down and goes anamorphic, how long will this restoration process delay the release? Is a fall '06 release of restored anamorphic versions possible?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.