Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Alias: complete series set coming in dec ??

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Alias: complete series set coming in dec ??

Old 11-27-06, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just my set today and I am sad to say that just about every disk that Ive checked has multiple scratches. The Bonus Disk seems ok but the First season disks are espescially scratched up....Some scratches are actually kinda thick and look suspiscious,,,
The packaging is kinda nice looking but i hate having scratched disks...
Old 11-27-06, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
My first set came in with almost every disc scratched. Re-ordered and the second set is even worse than the first.

Needless to say, this is going back for a refund. Two tries are enough...
Old 11-27-06, 06:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by leeta
My first set came in with almost every disc scratched. Re-ordered and the second set is even worse than the first.

Needless to say, this is going back for a refund. Two tries are enough...
Guess you are better off getting the seasons sets, maybe they will have less or no straches
Old 11-27-06, 06:58 PM

I guess I should consider myself lucky then. These are some horror stories.
Old 11-30-06, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I'll reiterate what others are saying. Cool packaging, lousy storage.
I don't have any '*really* scratched disks, but probably 40% have noticable small scratches on the underside. Part of the problem is that little 'seam' of cardboard in the middle toward the bottom of each disks' slot; the cardboard can easily bend out and no longer be a flat surface. At least the other cardboard dvd holders I've seen are solid envelopes.
Two of the five seasons have bent pages. It's like the cardboard page bent about 1/2 an inch away from the place it's supposed to bend. In fact one of them is a little bit torn--S5. It's like if you open it as a book, but keep your thumb on the disk 1 slot so it is flat on the right side, and open the cover wide; the cardboard binding in the lower/middle of the right page is torn. And the fifth season book was put in sideways, so its spine was to the left, whereas the others were to the bottom. Seems like kinda a rush job. I wonder if it's worth the hassle of returning, and the risk of getting worse disks/packaging.

edit: Okay, help me out here--all the disk books and the hardcover book came out. How the heck do they all get back in?

Last edited by tonyc3742; 11-30-06 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-01-06, 04:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
edit: Okay, help me out here--all the disk books and the hardcover book came out. How the heck do they all get back in?
Make sure you remember to alternate the spines and they should all fit in the container again.

Right now I'm on the 4th DVD of season 1 and despite how they look I've had no problems some far... we'll see what later ones bring though.
Old 12-01-06, 06:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dtcarson
I'll reiterate what others are saying. Cool packaging, lousy storage.
I don't have any '*really* scratched disks, but probably 40% have noticable small scratches on the underside. Part of the problem is that little 'seam' of cardboard in the middle toward the bottom of each disks' slot; the cardboard can easily bend out and no longer be a flat surface. At least the other cardboard dvd holders I've seen are solid envelopes.
Two of the five seasons have bent pages. It's like the cardboard page bent about 1/2 an inch away from the place it's supposed to bend. In fact one of them is a little bit torn--S5. It's like if you open it as a book, but keep your thumb on the disk 1 slot so it is flat on the right side, and open the cover wide; the cardboard binding in the lower/middle of the right page is torn. And the fifth season book was put in sideways, so its spine was to the left, whereas the others were to the bottom. Seems like kinda a rush job. I wonder if it's worth the hassle of returning, and the risk of getting worse disks/packaging.
I have the same creasing/tearing problem with two of the books. I bought mine at Amazon, so I'm debating whether it's worth exchanging, too.

Inside the Amazon box, they sent the Alias set in its original shipping box from Buena Vista Home Video's warehouse with the mailing label intact. I have one of 1080 cartons sent to the Kentucky distribution center.
Old 12-01-06, 08:23 AM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nemein
Right now I'm on the 4th DVD of season 1 and despite how they look I've had no problems some far... we'll see what later ones bring though.
I am just starting disc 5 of season 1. So far so good. But we will see what the rest brings.
Old 12-02-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is totally ridiculous. I've never seen such a fiasco! Especially on such a pricey product. EVERY one of my discs is scratched. And there's no way I'm going to have time to watch every one of them in time to make sure that they're all OK. Somebody should definately lose their job over this one.

I can't believe that their isn't more of an uproar! I don't pay well over $100 for something that shows up in worse condition than a product that I'd buy used!!
Old 12-02-06, 10:46 PM

I received the set a couple of days ago, and most of the disc were scratched. Some were so bad the disc were freeze. I called the number on the DVDs, and they're going to send me a label so I could exchange them. All I have to do is send in the damaged disc and they're going to replace it. I ordered it from DVDPLANET so this was my only option if I want to keep the set. Hope that might help someone else.
Old 12-03-06, 01:08 AM

I really wanted this, but after hearing all these problems, I think I may pass and just pick up the 2 seasons I'm missing.

For those that have it, would you say the bonus disk and book are worth the trouble?
Old 12-03-06, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No scratches here, pristine shape. I'd say, if you have the $$$$ then spring for the set. However, if you've invested in the series thus far and with the very low return on investment (meaning very little $$$ for a used sale), I'd forego the double dip on sets.

This set is rellayh to entice those of us that are easily swayed by pretty packaging
Old 12-03-06, 03:36 AM

I was holding off on buying the series due to this set coming out, but now there's no way in hell I'm buying this piece of crap. Christ!
Old 12-03-06, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Sparrow
No scratches here, pristine shape.
I can't even comprehend how that's possible given these "sleeves". Much less having every single disc not have a scratch on them.... You have just witnessed a Christmas miracle.
Old 12-03-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sparrow
No scratches here, pristine shape.
Old 12-03-06, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonJF
I can't even comprehend how that's possible given these "sleeves". Much less having every single disc not have a scratch on them.... You have just witnessed a Christmas miracle.
My set is in really good shape as well. I did a spot check and besides a few tiny scratches (and those are rare) it looks good. I'm through disc 5 of season 2 and absolutely no problems.
Old 12-03-06, 06:45 PM

I have the creasing problem in one of my season books - had debated whether to return it, but obviously this is a somewhat regular problem. To me, this is more irritating than minor scratches, but I can live with it.

I didn't notice any scratches (certainly nothing serious) in a spot check.

The thing that is missing from this set (especially against the season releases) is a book listing and summarizing the episodes in each season - the names aren't enough if you're looking for something specific.
Old 12-08-06, 06:05 PM

Just took advantage of the Border's 40% off deal and got the set, only to find--surprise!--most of the discs look like they've been dragged through a sandbox. Buena Vista is sending a UPS label, however, and will replace any discs I return to them. All I need to do is enclose a note with my contact info and the discs I'd like replaced.

Here's the number, in case anyone else needs it: 1-800-477-2811.
Old 12-08-06, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by bdw418
Just took advantage of the Border's 40% off deal and got the set, only to find--surprise!--most of the discs look like they've been dragged through a sandbox. Buena Vista is sending a UPS label, however, and will replace any discs I return to them. All I need to do is enclose a note with my contact info and the discs I'd like replaced.

Here's the number, in case anyone else needs it: 1-800-477-2811.

how much it cost you with the 40 percent
Old 12-08-06, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by dizzlle01
how much it cost you with the 40 percent
It worked out to 119.99 plus tax, and interestingly enough Border's will deduct your Holiday Savings Reward before taxing to give you a better deal.

For me, at least, the grand total was $113.42.
Old 12-09-06, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by bdw418
It worked out to 119.99 plus tax, and interestingly enough Border's will deduct your Holiday Savings Reward before taxing to give you a better deal.

For me, at least, the grand total was $113.42.
That's sort of what I did. I had a personal day which I used with a 30% off coupon (which surprised me since you can't combine the two but the girl accepted anyways). I had around $37 in the holiday savings so after tax it came to $95 and change.
Old 12-09-06, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well i am currently on Disc 4 of Season Three.. No Problems Playback..
Most of the Discs were in pristine condition a few with light scratches. But i realize over the years taking them in and out is going to be a problem. So i am not taking any chances putting them back in the slots.

What i have done is put the dvds into some nice vinyl sleeves where they wont get damaged and placed each one into the booklet ontop of the slots. The width after doing that is slightly bigger and i might not be able to fit the little hardcover book in with the seasons after doing that. Hopefully i can i set it on top and have the cover still close down allrite. We shall see!!
Old 12-09-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I purchased the complete series from Amazon and most of the DVDs were scratched and had fingerprints all over the discs. I played a few of the DVDs and they did seem to play fine but I decided to return the set to Amazon for a refund. Even if the discs play okay I would expect after paying over a $100 I would receive new DVDs in pristine condition.
Old 01-08-07, 07:46 PM

I called the customer service number for BVHV and they send I should send back ALL of my DVDs and they will issue replacements. When I told the CSR that every disc had either fingerprints/scratches, or both she seemed shocked and said "there should not be fingerprints" and I said "Well there are, and they're really greasy ones too...they don't come off."
Are the folks packaging this eating lunch at the same time? And nobody bothered to think that this stiff cardboard packaging with the hard seams would be no problem?
UGH! What a pain in the ass. Now I have to find something to put the DVDs in when I get them back.
Old 01-08-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I finally got the chance to go through all mine. Very very minor scratched on one or two discs...other than that, nothing.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.