Reload this Page >

People still buy VHS?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

People still buy VHS?

Old 04-30-06, 07:45 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People still buy VHS?

I was at Walmart yesterday and they had all these new release in VHS like Crash,Cinderella Man,Mr and Mrs Smith. They were only $6.00 but still I wouldn't buy em at any price now.
Old 04-30-06, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Walmart was supposed to drop pre-recorded VHS tapes after Christmas, but I guess consumer demand is still there. I know at my store, alot of older customers (the over 60 crowd) still ask for tapes and VCRs alot, but we haven't carried VHS since 2002.
Old 04-30-06, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the Wal*Mart around here just got rid of all their VHS tapes within the last few months. I never saw anyone buying them, or even looking at them.

But I would still buy a VHS tape of a movie that wasn't out on DVD yet. I wouldn't pay very much for it, but if it was cheap enough.
Old 04-30-06, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by NitroJMS
Walmart was supposed to drop pre-recorded VHS tapes after Christmas, but I guess consumer demand is still there.
Well, the titles Tonymontana30 mentioned might be some of the last ones they got last year, and now they're clearing them out.
Old 04-30-06, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I don't know about buying them but I still see a lot of people renting from Hollywood Video.
Old 04-30-06, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I figured when my parents(who are 68 and 86) finally converted over to dvd that was it for vhs
Old 04-30-06, 10:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do because I buy stuff that isn't on vhs or else it costs hundreds of dollars for the dvd but the vhs can be found cheap.

I love movies more than the format they are put on so I have no problems buying movies I love on older formats if that's what it takes to get the movie.
Old 04-30-06, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've seen them sell VHS at Tower Records, but I have not seen anyone buy them. Although, I feel like if they sell them, someone must be buying them
Old 04-30-06, 10:57 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't seen too many people buy them, maybe old people though
Old 04-30-06, 11:17 PM

I still buy VHS tapes when the DVD is OOP, my most recent purchase was Miss Sadie Thompson for $3, the DVD is apparently very hard to come by.
Old 04-30-06, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I'll still buy them, but not for $6 each. $1 a piece, most defiantely.

I was in a cd store the other day, and noticed that they were still stocking new cassette tapes. That caught me by suprise.
Old 05-01-06, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I work at Blockbuster (sadly) and you'd be surprised how many people come in and complain about us not carrying VHS anymore, even though VHS are pretty much dead. Wal-Mart and possibly Target and K-Mart are they only places that carry VHS anymore. I'm not sure about Target or K-Mart though.
Old 05-01-06, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Disney's "Song of the South" was brought up in another thread. It's never been released stateside, and from the sounds of things on the film's Wikipedia page (including the answer to a question posed to the Disney CEO during a March 06 conference), it doesn't sound like it ever will be. If it had been released on VHS though, I'd definitely try to hunt down a copy of it.

So yes, there are definite cases where I'd buy movies on VHS. Like another person said, DVD is nothing more than a format, and I don't collect formats.

If you're asking solely about people buying new releases on VHS, well that's something different altogether.

-JP
Old 05-01-06, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SONG OF THE SOUTH was released on LD and vHS pretty much everywhere else in the world but here.
Old 05-01-06, 06:21 AM
Banned

I wouldn't take VHS for free, unless it was something truly rare/unusual; then I'd burn it to DVD immediately.
Old 05-01-06, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by chemosh6969
I do because I buy stuff that isn't on vhs or else it costs hundreds of dollars for the dvd but the vhs can be found cheap.

I love movies more than the format they are put on so I have no problems buying movies I love on older formats if that's what it takes to get the movie.
Same here. My parents still buy them sometimes and I know some friends who will pick them up if theyre cheap enough.
Old 05-01-06, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
I'll very rarely buy a VHS if it is of a film that isn't on DVD (or any reasonable prospect of being on DVD). For example, if I can get my hands on a VHS copy of Gymkata I'll snag it (and convert it to a VCD).
Old 05-01-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, apparently some people do. A neighboor wanted me to watch some movied called Cure. I told him I think I seen that quite few years ago. Well the young guy drops off a VHS tape to me next day. It took all I had not to start laughing. Call me a prude but I cant watch a vhs tape anymore.
Old 05-01-06, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by madara
Yeah, apparently some people do. A neighboor wanted me to watch some movied called Cure. I told him I think I seen that quite few years ago. Well the young guy drops off a VHS tape to me next day. It took all I had not to start laughing. Call me a prude but I cant watch a vhs tape anymore.
Glad you were able to subdued your laughter, to save him from any embarrassment. Periodically, I'll still watch a VHS movie in my collection, ONLY if that particular title is not available on DVD.
Old 05-01-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's sad that some people are so married to a format. I know it probably sounds pompous, but I feel like true movie fans will seek out movies in whatever format they exist in--theaters, DVD, VHS, etc. In my humble opinion anything else is just collecting or audio/video-philia first and cinephilia second.

With respect to new releases and other films readily available on DVD, it's probably either a question of price or familiarity. Many people don't know about the deals we know about, and even with low Wal-Mart prices on DVDs, the VHS prices are generally even lower. As for familiarity, I know that my mother for example prefers VHS because she knows how to operate the player and doesn't want to learn the "new" technology.
Old 05-01-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would never buy a VHS. And it’s not because I like formats or anything, it’s because in this day and age I like digital. Personally, I prefer to download a digital copy rather than buy a VHS. For instance for Song of the South, I have a DVD copy of the Japanese laserdisc. I would prefer that to the official UK VHS any time any day. Even if the UK VHS were $3 I’d still prefer my version.
Old 05-01-06, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Were there ever any VHS video/audio quality review sites on the internet before DVD?
Old 05-01-06, 05:13 PM
Banned

I amazes me there are still people buying VHS in 2006. I was under the impression VHS was dead.
Old 05-01-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
I wish they would still keep VHS around for the stupid people who prefer pan & scan, then we wouldn't have so many foolscreen DVDs. I am trying to see what the very last A-title movie released on VHS will be though so I can buy it for a memento. I think the last movie released on Beta was Lion King.

I'd still rather watch a good VHS than a MPEG-1 VCD or badly-compressed DVD. I remember getting a LOT of VHS tapes that didn't look as good as they could have though, plus a lot had that awful Hi-Fi tracking problem resulting in noise.
Old 05-01-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My VCR died in 2002 and I never even bothered to pick up another one. If something isn't on dvd or is out of print I can usually find it on LD. Cost a little more than vhs now, but 90% of the time I can get them under 10-15 dollars.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.