Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

www.dvdtalk.com...did it start anyone else's collections?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

www.dvdtalk.com...did it start anyone else's collections?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-07, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, I was big into collecting films way before I discovered this site. 1998 to be exact for DVD.

And before DVD, it was VHS.
Old 11-27-07, 12:29 PM

I discovered this site when I typed "DVD Coupon" into Yahoo back in September 99. I have been coming here everyday since then.
Old 11-27-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DVD Club Forum.

It's that simple.
Old 11-27-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Where are all the old timers?

Of course DVDtalk helped begin my collection. To be more specific, 800.com, Reel.com, and various other deal oriented sites(that I can't remember) started my collection, DVDtalk was just the middle man.
I had a collection before joining, but in the early days DVDtalk got me to most of the online sales before we crashed the sites.
Old 11-27-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is what I said in the "How has this forum affected your DVD collecting?" thread...
Before I came to DVD Talk I'd buy a DVD every once and awhile and had a fair sized collection of about 300 or so. After joining DVD Talk, I'm standing outside the store waiting for the doors to open every Tuesday so I can get those new releases!

Before DVD Talk I'd just basically pick up TV Shows on DVD that I've seen before and have already liked for awhile, now I've opened my mind and I'm up for trying a new show via. TOD, if it's been getting good buzz around here. Hell, until this past August (been a member since May 06') I couldn't stand Seinfeld. Now I've got all the seasons and it's one of my favorite sitcoms ever.

I have 527 DVDs (281 TV on DVD, 245 Movies / Other) and my collection will continue to grow every Tuesday until the end of time... or until a new format officially makes DVDs the new VHS.
So no, DVD Talk didn't start my collection, but it sure started my addiction and made me appreciate films/TV shows a whole lot more.
Old 11-27-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Michael Corvin speaks the gospel.

I hadn't bought any DVDs until I came across DVDTalk... oh in 1999ish. Even before I had a DVD player I had DVDs thanks to this place. I think I searched for "free DVD."

But perhaps is it more accurate to say that DVDTalk provided the gateway to 800.com, pay to click sites and 12 or so Reel.com trivia accounts... and that is when the collection multiplied like bunnies.

Last edited by jdpatri; 11-27-07 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-27-07, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
I think the old timers have moved on to the other parts of the forum, as dvd collecting just isn't as exciting as it used to be.
This old-timer found hanging in these forums the not very exciting thing of late. It was at first and for the first few years or so, but after my library was featured in the New York Times in 2004...and after I passed like 3,000 titles...it just got more time consuming than I would have liked. That plus it was keeping me indoors all the time. Not healthy. Then I discovered my REAL passion: paddling! Nothin' like rippin' down a river! Instaed of buying 10 dvds a week....I bought a fleet of kayaks and canoes and took myself to the Boundry Waters and the Apostle Islands.

I still buy dvds, HD-DVD, and watch tons of HD programming on TV. MGM-HD, minus the "blackout" problem, is my new fave channel. I just don't add the dvds or other titles to my collection link anymore, or sit around and talk about them...at least not like I used to. The joy of collectng and building my library is still here...100%. It's sharing my every move and buy that got old.

Since they changed versions over at DVDAF, I have not even updated my link to work. Just not high on the priority list. Who in the hell cares what I buy!

Last edited by gutwrencher; 11-27-07 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-27-07, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Oh my god. A Gut sighting!

You better not be paddling the school canoe, 'cause that deserves a paddlin'
Old 11-27-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was buying DVDs before finding this site, but this site sure as hell has caused me to buy more than I probably ever would have.
Old 11-27-07, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Where are all the old timers?

Of course DVDtalk helped begin my collection. To be more specific, 800.com, Reel.com, and various other deal oriented sites(that I can't remember) started my collection, DVDtalk was just the middle man.
Those were the good old days. The Reel.com coupons and sales definitely helped boost my collection. I lurked for awhile at the end of '99. I signed up when I saw another great Reel.com coupons thread.
Old 11-27-07, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DVDTalk didn't exactly start my collection (started in 1997 and spent a hefty early adopter price for my Panasonic player), however, it has fueled my obsessive buying habits (damn deals! ). I recall coming across a thread here with many coupons for Reel.com and there was no turning back. I wasn't on the board when the 800.com deal hit, but I think I participated in most others.
Old 11-27-07, 08:21 PM

Sparrow, I started with a Panasonic player about the same time. I still picked up a few laserdiscs after that, but then it was DVDs, here I come. After I discovered DVDtalk, my average cost per disc dropped to below $5 per disc. Oh those early days!!
Old 11-27-07, 11:37 PM

I discovered DVD Talk because I had recently started collecting DVDs. This site (along with IMDb) are definitely what expanded my film horizons as well as developing actual taste in movies.
Old 11-28-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
Yes it started mine... I bought my first DVD before I even owned a player because I had heard about the Army Of Darkness limited ( ) 2 DVD set back when it "first" came out... Then I need to have a player to actually watch it...
Old 11-28-07, 02:53 PM
Banned

What's with all the lauding of DVDTalk... is it Geoff's birthday? I like it here too, but now there's two different "love-fest" threads... what gives?
Old 11-28-07, 03:42 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVDTalk is responsible for most of the NEW DVDs in my collection (vs. the used ones or cut-outs I picked up elsewhere).
Old 11-28-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been a DVD consumer since 1997 (I was 10 then!?), and a devout DVD nut since 2000. However, it wasn't until I discovered this site around 2003 that I became the tride-and-true DVD warrior.

I'd say most of all that DVD Talk was the reason why I went HD, and that is a big feat.
Old 11-28-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My collection really started thanks to the urgings of a friend in '99. I'd never bought a movie, VHS or otherwise, before that but it didn't take long before I was buying all sorts of DVDs. I'd say that this site was responsible for me buying numerous things (an understatement...) that looked interesting, but mainly because they were cheap!

I've largely "retired" from buying now, though. While my collection has remained around 500 titles for a few years now, I'm always selling or trading away things for new ones because I don't really feel a whole lot of attachment to the movies. Even my favorites seem kind of disposable at this point since I hardly watch them -- or anything else for that matter. Could probably count on my fingers the number of titles I've watched more than once. It's all come to feel like a collossal waste of my money (something I'm hardly rolling in).

Should've gotten a Netflix account way back when and just left it at that!