Reload this Page >

suddenly having a DVD that may be worth $$$

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-20-06, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what to do? sell it, or sit back and be proud owning it.

the movie in question is Begotten. i got it from amazon a few years ago via some gc. while very much interested in the movies description, i didn't care for it too much. i watched it once, half way.

but looking around amazon to push me over 25$ i clicked on a user created list that had Begotten on it and saw it was going for over 200$ used with no option to buy used. OOP it seems. curious i clicked and saw that the lowest it was going for was 210, and the high, 340.

i was extremely shocked at those rates. i know it's a sellers market, but who determines those prices? since i don't really care for the movie too much, my impulse it sell it (of course selling price and buying price are two seperate things.) but hell, if could sell it for 125, that'd be over 100% profit since it was bought with gift cards.

so if you found yourself in this position...having a mudane dvd that is now (seemingly) worth a whole lot... would you sell out and sell it, keep it on principal, etc?

i'm conflicted.
Old 04-20-06, 04:48 AM

If there are buyers for it and you don't especially like the movie I don't see any reason you SHOULDN'T sell it. I'd feel no sorrow for somone paying that much for a DVD as it must mean that much to them.
Old 04-20-06, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts
What principle is involved in keeping a DVD?

I once sold nine comic books for enough store credit that I didn't have to pay anything for new comics for almost a year.
Old 04-20-06, 06:22 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I once sold part of a broken smashed guitar (from a KISS concert) to a fan/collector in Japan for nearly $800 !
Old 04-20-06, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought a copy of Salo way back when it could still be found in a store. I hated the film and jumped at the chance to get $200 for it. Its worth more now, but I had no reason to keep a film I hated.

Last edited by darkside; 04-20-06 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-20-06, 06:56 AM
Suspended

Yep, if you're never going to watch it, sell that sucker. You can go to DDD and get dozens of titles that you like for the cash you'll get for that one disc. If you wait to long, a re-release or something will get announced and you've blown it.

I had a copy of Image's The Twelve Chairs that went for $125 on Ebay. Now because of the new Mel Brooks set it's practically worthless.
Old 04-20-06, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sell the DVD as soon as possible. I've never heard of the movie, but I bet it's not one of your rewatchables, so just get rid of the damn thing before they release a newer version and make your DVD worthless!
Old 04-20-06, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Yep, if you're never going to watch it, sell that sucker. You can go to DDD and get dozens of titles that you like for the cash you'll get for that one disc.
I agree with this. Use the cash to buy some titles from your wishlist.
Old 04-20-06, 08:06 AM

I agree with everyone saying sell it. I found My So-Called Life about a month or two ago and pondered keeping it but I watched a couple episodes and really didn't like it. So I ended up selling it.
Old 04-20-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
There's no real reason to keep a DVD you don't like - take the money and run!

(And do it fast - as has been pointed out, the fact that it can generate some real money right now says nothing about what it might fetch 6 months from now.)
Old 04-20-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Venom
what to do? sell it, or sit back and be proud owning it.

the movie in question is Begotten. i got it from amazon a few years ago via some gc. while very much interested in the movies description, i didn't care for it too much. i watched it once, half way.

but looking around amazon to push me over 25$ i clicked on a user created list that had Begotten on it and saw it was going for over 200$ used with no option to buy used. OOP it seems. curious i clicked and saw that the lowest it was going for was 210, and the high, 340.

i was extremely shocked at those rates. i know it's a sellers market, but who determines those prices? since i don't really care for the movie too much, my impulse it sell it (of course selling price and buying price are two seperate things.) but hell, if could sell it for 125, that'd be over 100% profit since it was bought with gift cards.

so if you found yourself in this position...having a mudane dvd that is now (seemingly) worth a whole lot... would you sell out and sell it, keep it on principal, etc?

i'm conflicted.
Well, is your DVD collection a "person archive of video that has personal significance to you" or is it a "social status symbol of the number and rarity of discs you have obtained"?

Answer THAT question and you'll know what to do with the disc.
Old 04-20-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally, I have Begotten and wouldn't sell the dvd because it is a fascinating movie. Does it have replay value? Maybe once a year at best. Other titles that are equally obscure, like the original release of Mario Bava's Rabid Dogs (bought for $7 and sold for $77), I have sold because it didn't interest me after seeing it. What marty888 and sracer said in previous posts would probably be the consensus on this board.
Old 04-20-06, 11:31 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I say if you're not going to watch it again. Who's to say that it won't be released in the next format? if so then the price will go down. Strike now while the market is hot!
Old 04-20-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Yep, if you're never going to watch it, sell that sucker.
This is off topic, but I have 2 copies of The History Of Beavis and Butthead, both mint, but I watch only one of them. Since that may never be made again, and on ebay fetches low prices these days it seems, should I just hold onto it lotsofdvds? I love the dvd.
Old 04-20-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
I say if you're not going to watch it again. Who's to say that it won't be released in the next format? if so then the price will go down. Strike now while the market is hot!
I agree, stuff like that doesn't usually hold its value. I used to have a bunch of "rare" VHS tapes that were worth a lot, but now you can't give them away. If I have any movie that is worth significantly more than I paid for it, I will almost always sell it. I got greedy with John Carpenter's "They Live." I found one brand new and shrink wrapped, when they were selling for about $125. I listed it at $99 and had a couple of nibbles but no takers. Then they announced a re-issue and it's now only worth the $10 I paid for it. Still, I like the movie, so I'm not out anything, but I would rather have sold it for $50 or $60.
Old 04-20-06, 12:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Harold Wazzu
I agree with everyone saying sell it. I found My So-Called Life about a month or two ago and pondered keeping it but I watched a couple episodes and really didn't like it. So I ended up selling it.
Same here. I actually found the set twice, having spent $30 for both, making $300, and it funded my Criterion Spinal Tap, as well as a few others. That said, next time I see it, I may keep it. I also run through 3 copies of Tool's "Salival" set, paying $10, making $100 each time, and now I REALLY want it back.
Old 04-20-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get rid of it. Make cash. Buy five DVDs you like.
Old 04-20-06, 12:18 PM

There are a few times when reissues do not kill the value though. Look at Swamp Thing, Seven Samari Criterion and The Warriors, all the original releases still go for a premium. Granted not as much after the rerelease, but still something. However, overall chances are that this isn't going to happen, the release is going to be exactly the same as the originally release and you lost your shot. So sell it!
Old 04-20-06, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Unless it was a movie I really loved, I would sell that baby as fast as I could. Prices likely won't stay that high forever, so take advantage of it while you can. Buy some movies you actually like with that money.
Old 04-20-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup, yup... If it's not a film that you love, or in some cases it might be a film that you love but there's a new version in the works (which requires a leap of faith), dump it.

That's what I did with Silence of the Lambs CC (don't listen to many commentaries), Robocop CC and Dawn of the Dead when Anchor Bay announced the last edition. Turned a nice profit on all three.
Old 04-20-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
Yup, yup... If it's not a film that you love, or in some cases it might be a film that you love but there's a new version in the works (which requires a leap of faith), dump it.
Just be leery if it is a film you love as you could get burned...I've had mostly good luck getting decent prices when I hear early news of a rerelease, but Disney's "Special" Edition of Tarzan hosed me when I dumped my 2-discer.
Old 04-20-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Greg613
There are a few times when reissues do not kill the value though. Look at Swamp Thing, Seven Samari Criterion and The Warriors, all the original releases still go for a premium. Granted not as much after the rerelease, but still something.
That's true, but there are specific reasons for each of those [though I don't really understand why people care that much over a restoration featurette on 'Samurai'; I think that's more just people looking at it as "collectable"]. Especially 'Warriors', as the comic book transitions kinda suck.

That said, the unrated 'Swamp Thing' has dropped in price considerably (on Ebay, at least) from the point when there wasn't an in print 'Swamp Thing' competing with it.

Incidentally, before you go through the trouble of trying to sell this disc, you should check to make sure people are actually paying that much for it. It's all well and good for people to list it at that price, but it's another thing entirely for people to actually pay it. [I find Ebay a better indicator of what people will pay than Amazon, personally, but if I were trying to sell something for a mint, I'd probably use Amazon.]
Old 04-20-06, 01:26 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dvd_luver
This is off topic, but I have 2 copies of The History Of Beavis and Butthead, both mint, but I watch only one of them. Since that may never be made again, and on ebay fetches low prices these days it seems, should I just hold onto it lotsofdvds? I love the dvd.
That's a hard one to answer. It dropped drastically when the first Mike Judge collection came out. But when those sets are done, people might realize that a few episodes are missing and they might only be on that History set. It's a toss up, really.
Old 04-20-06, 09:19 PM

I have the original studio release of "Let It Be" on VHS and it was going for BIG bucks way back when...

I should have sold it then and I'm not sure what it is worth now...

Sell the DVD NOW if you don't watch it...
Old 04-20-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for all opinions.

while it's true that i don't really care for the movie, i still found it interesting enough to have in my collection if nothing else to show it to others. that is why i still have it. selling it, or getting rid of it never crossed my mind. only when i saw for how much people were asking for it did it become a thought.

there is one on auction at ebay right, it ends in a day or two and is currently around $200. so it's extremely likely that i'm going to sell it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.