DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Any Larry Sanders or Mad About You news?

Old 05-03-06, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Exactly. While you can listen to a single movement from a symphony, they are part of a larger whole, and only make full sense when listened together.

The main advantage of TV on DVD is being able to watch entire seasons in order and see themes and characters develop. Like a novel, you can pick up a chapter here and there and still enjoy it, but you will be missing the narrative that brings them together.
Yes, yes, I agree with everything you just worte - but that's NOT what I was asking about.

There is no debate on which is better - 9 out of 10 times I will take an entire series set over a collection because of all the reasons above.

What I'm saying is that if I really like a show, and had no choice and was presented ONLY with a best-of set, why would I pass on it?

For example, I love Led Zeppelin, and I have all their albums (which, like your example, work best as whole albums than not) - BUT if ONLY a best-of collection was available (even though I prefer the albums), as a lover of Zeppelin, I couldn't imagine not getting it.
Old 05-03-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually, I think Dostoevsky would be the bigger Gilmore Girls fan...
Old 05-06-06, 11:12 AM
Banned

Tvshowsondvd.com has some news on the Larry Sanders Show:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5603
Old 05-06-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Yes, it's still a collection of the "best" episodes."

DAMMIT!!!
Old 05-06-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
I don't understand this - you may not get every episode, but you're still getting something.
Since I agree with the person you were responding to, I just wanted to add that what makes no sense to me is buying something that is incomplete as a compromise. There are way too many titles for TV shows on DVD vying for my spending money that I don't have extra cash to throw around on half assed sets. It's all or nothing to the serious fans, and once the studios realize that, the better.

And check out the status of this show on the polls on tvshowsondvd.com. It's got a HUGE percentage of fans demanding season box sets. Barely on the radar are people asking for best of collections. How far up their colon must the studio execs in charge of this show have their heads to not see this?
Old 05-06-06, 01:58 PM

Please keep in mind that Shandling wants a collection, and stars usually get what they want.

Gord
Old 05-06-06, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by calhoun07
... what makes no sense to me is buying something that is incomplete as a compromise. ?
If we were talking about a show lilke 24, yeah, but LS doesn't have the same continuity and I guess I feel (as apparantly does Shandling) that the episodes are a lot more stand-alone than you do.

But yeah, I'd much rather have complete seasons.
Old 05-06-06, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gord Lacey
Please keep in mind that Shandling wants a collection, and stars usually get what they want.

Gord
Does Shandling own a piece of the show that he can actually dictate how this would be released?

In either case, he is wrong. Probably more wrong than when he was when he signed up to make TOWN & COUNTRY and WHAT PLANET ARE YOU FROM
Old 05-07-06, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
If we were talking about a show lilke 24, yeah, but LS doesn't have the same continuity and I guess I feel (as apparantly does Shandling) that the episodes are a lot more stand-alone than you do.
Regardless, it's still a compromise if you buy a best of collection instead. I wasn't talking about continuity from one episode to a next, just looking at it from a collector's pov.
Old 05-18-06, 11:11 PM
Cool New Member

Don & Mike, a couple of knucklehead DJs in DC, had Garry Shandling on their radio show today. They asked when the rest of Larry Sanders was going to be released on DVD, and Shandling said November.

No specifics about what will be released in November, but it's a vague date at least.

http://s146481175.onlinehome.us/2006/2006dailylog.shtml
Old 05-19-06, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My problem with the best-of sets is that they so very rarely contain the episodes I would consider to be the best. Just like when I consider a Greatest Hits album from a bad I like, it invariably leaves off at least one of my favorites. Take, for instance, the "Mad About You" Best Of set.

Oxygen just got finished playing the Season 3 "Mad About You" episodes, and I DVRed them and watched them. If I were selecting the "Best Of" for Season Three, I wouldn't be able to limit it to the three episodes that Sony picked.

Not to mention that I stopped watching the series when it got to Season 5, so there's something like 9 episodes of the "Best Of" disc I have no use for. And since I already owned Seasons 1 & 2, so there's four episodes I have no use for. And really, I didn't care for the Three-Part Season 4 finale, so I'm really down to four episodes in total from the 21-episode "Best Of" set that I would might include if I were making a "Best Of" set.