Look Up in the Sky: The Amazing Story of Superman - June 20th

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-06, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Look Up in the Sky: The Amazing Story of Superman - June 20th

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=35423

Superman Documentary Flies

Superman Returns director Bryan Singer told SCI FI Wire that he decided to produce a feature-length documentary about the Man of Steel while researching the character's past. Excited by what he found, Singer decided to produce Look Up in the Sky: The Amazing Story of Superman.

"It was a very elaborate process," Singer said in an interview. "It's comprised of 50 or more interviews. It involved going to archives, researching and tracking down and optioning footage that people have never seen before of early incarnations of Superman."

Look Up in the Sky explores Superman's beginnings in comic books and his early presence in movies, ranging from Max Fleischer cartoon shorts (screened before feature films in movie theaters in the 1940s) to 1951's Superman and the Mole-Men, starring George Reeves, which inspired the first Superman TV series. There's also coverage of the Superman movie revival that began in the 1970s, TV's Lois and Clark and Smallville and footage from Superman Returns.

"I partnered with Kevin Burns to produce this documentary for Warner Brothers," Singer said. "Kevin is an old friend and has produced Empire of Dreams: The Story of the Star Wars Trilogy, Cleopatra: The Film That Changed Hollywood, Marilyn Monroe: The Final Days and a number of other amazing films and documentaries. I thought it would be a nice thing to have on the air before the movie comes out as a way of getting people in the mood for Superman."

Singer said that he hopes to strike a deal for the documentary to be aired on TV sometime in June, and there's a chance for a limited theatrical release. Look Up in the Sky: The Amazing Story of Superman is currently slated for a June 20 release on DVD.
Old 04-13-06, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great find! Thanks!
Old 04-13-06, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't we heard that this is going to be included with the 14-disc set? Or is that just a rumor? Perhaps it will be a separate release only. Sounds cool, but I don't fancy buying it in June, and then the 14-disc set later in the year, and finding it on one of the bonus discs.

--THX

Last edited by CertifiedTHX; 04-13-06 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-15-06, 10:27 AM

Does anyone know if this is part of the 14 disc set? I certainly want to buy it but just as soon not pay for it twice.
Old 05-15-06, 11:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
A must-buy for me!
Old 05-15-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The original press release for the 14 Disc Box Set said this would be a part of the collection.
Old 05-15-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Here's a picture.
Old 05-15-06, 02:13 PM

the superman documentary is going to air on TV.. june 12 on A&E.

Jacob
Old 05-15-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts
syndicated Superboy isn't on that cover

Sorry, Tom Welling.... no suit=no cover
Old 05-15-06, 07:27 PM

Okay, I may be making a mistake posting this here, but DVDAF has Superman Returns included in the 14 disc set. The new movie isn't going to be included in that set is it?
Old 05-15-06, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not that I had heard (tho I'm not an authority on the matter). It was my understanding that Superman Returns would not be a part of the 14 Disc Box Set.
Old 05-15-06, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cinephan
Okay, I may be making a mistake posting this here, but DVDAF has Superman Returns included in the 14 disc set. The new movie isn't going to be included in that set is it?
Time-wise as well as prep-wise, there's no way that it can be a part of that collection.
Old 05-15-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by speedy1961
Time-wise as well as prep-wise, there's no way that it can be a part of that collection.
Superman Returns premieres on June 30; the DVD collection is rumored for November; the time between theatrical and DVD releases is shrinking. Given those factors, time and preparation don't seem particularly problematic.

I guess we've all been hearing different things, but my understanding is that Returns IS going to be included in the collection. And I think early reports of that collection may have stated that Look, Up in the Sky was going to be its centerpiece documentary.

But, like the information suggesting Returns will be among the 14 discs, what we have now is just speculation. I, for one, hope Returns is NOT part of the set. I would like the first four films to stand as a separate entity, like the Batman Anthology.

--THX
Old 05-16-06, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
Superman Returns premieres on June 30; the DVD collection is rumored for November; the time between theatrical and DVD releases is shrinking. Given those factors, time and preparation don't seem particularly problematic.

I guess we've all been hearing different things, but my understanding is that Returns IS going to be included in the collection. And I think early reports of that collection may have stated that Look, Up in the Sky was going to be its centerpiece documentary.

But, like the information suggesting Returns will be among the 14 discs, what we have now is just speculation. I, for one, hope Returns is NOT part of the set. I would like the first four films to stand as a separate entity, like the Batman Anthology.

--THX
To me (and I'm a BIG Superman fan / comic collector) to be a bit of a risk for Warner to be including Superman Returns in the mega set not knowing whether it'll be a MEGA hit or not.

That would essentially mean that they are currently or are about to start pressing millions of these puppies so that they can be included in the mega set.

It would be an exact duplication of the problem that Dreamworks encountered when they over estimated demand for Shrek 2.

But if that is Warner's game plan and it does hit it big, then the Warner / DC folks will be smiling for all of 2007.

If it underperforms ala MI-3, I'd hate to be the studio exec who greenlit that decision.

I also agree that the film should be a separate entity.

But I'm still looking forward to this documentary.
Old 05-16-06, 12:32 PM

Hi-res artwork has been posted.
Old 05-16-06, 12:41 PM

there was a warner bros chat.. it was confirmed that superman returns would be included on the boxset.. supergirl was not going to be included.

JACOB
Old 05-16-06, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay. From the recent WB Chat:

[KyleHughes] Superman: Will Superman Returns be in the 14-disc set? Can we PLEASE have a bloopers section for each film & the deleted scenes that have been released in the tv edits? Please let us know an official outlet where Superman fans may leave their input for the 14-disc set. Thank you so much!

[Warner] Superman Returns will be in the box, but I am not certain of all the extra features on the discs. Work is still ongoing.
Well there you go. Shut my mouth wide open.

More stuff:
[JimBowers] Regarding the Superman-The Movie DVD in the upcoming Superman Ultimate Edition 14-disc DVD box set...will we see more deleted scenes, trailers and documentary footage? The key deleted scenes are: Jimmy and Superman floating above Hoover Dam, Superman attempting to catch the XK-101 rocket, and Superman flying past the World Trade Center after rescuing Lois from the crashed helicopter?

[Warner] We can't give you the exact details of what you'll be seeing in the 14 disc set, as that is all in progress at the present time, However we can confirm the following important facts.. We will be releasing both the extended cut of SUPERMAN THE MOVIE (the one on DVD now) and the original, shorter theatrical version as well. Further, we will be releasing both the SUPERMAN II theatrical cut, and the "Donner cut" both in the box, or available singularly. Lastly, SUPERGIRL is coming, but SUPERGIRL will not be part of the 14 disc SUPERMAN set.
AND

[PhilGee] My eternal thanks for announcing an ultimate 14 disc Superman boxset...my question is regarding the possibility of a Superman IV extended cut as part of the set. Apparently you have no plans to do it and I was just wondering if you could tell us the reasons why? Do you know for sure whether the cut footage (apparently stored at the Deluxe film labs in England) has been destroyed? Thank you!

[Warner] We have located all the footage for SUPERMAN IV, and will be including a great deal of deleted scenes. But no change in the version.