Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hills Have Eyes Rated and Unrated DVD June 20th

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Hills Have Eyes Rated and Unrated DVD June 20th

Old 04-18-06, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Horrible artwork or not, this movie will still be mine in its unrated form.
Old 04-18-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the cover isn't bad as much as it is gruesomely in-your-face, but its fitting as that is exactly like how the movie was...
Old 05-07-06, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for those interested, here are the cuts to the movie that will be restored for the unrated dc.
Spoiler:
The R-Rated cut destined for worldwide audiances is not the cut of the movie director Alexandre Aja signed off, he was forced to make changes when the MPAA in America came back with the commercial-suicide rating NC-17. Aja said:, What they asked us to cut is basically a couple of minutes of the film.

They cut some close-ups of Big Bob [Ted Levine] burning and his eyes turning white. They cut a close-up of Lynne [Vinessa Shaw] being shot in the head; the muzzle-flash and the direct impact. It's very brutal. And they cut a shot of the gun being pointed at the baby. They also cut half a minute of the rape scene with Brenda [Emilie de Ravin].

This is a real spoiler; at the end they cut a bit of Lizard [Robert Joy] being shot. He's supposed to have been shot three times but they cut one of him being shot in the throat. Right now Doug [Aaron Stanford] is only shooting two times. In the original he was also hitting him in the face more. In the original cut it was more like he was dead so it was really something when you see him stand up again. Now, the way they cut the movie, you can tell he's going to stand up again. That's very stupid and I had a big, big argument with them about that.

got this from melonfarmers.co/uk
Old 05-07-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Sounds pretty interesting. I really didn't care for the original that much. I felt the last half hour of the movie, really was a huge pay-off for the build-up that led to it. I think this film had much better pacing. Once again... this will be mine.
Old 05-07-06, 11:13 AM

Seems like this will be an unrated dvd actulley worth it, thanks for the info Rypro.
Old 05-07-06, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
Great movie, I can't wait for this.
Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I can't wait to pick this up
I can't wait for thisł...purposely held out on seeing it theatrically for the uncut version.
Old 06-17-06, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts
Here ya go, ya horror freaks
http://www.davisdvd.com/misc/altcuts/hillshaveeyes.html
Old 06-18-06, 01:03 AM
Banned

Joy. 30 extra seconds of a
Spoiler:
graphic teenage rape
. Now if only Aja could have thrown in some more of the
Spoiler:
rape of the nursing mother, having her breast mouthed/sucked as she's crying,
, then I could officially dub Aja the biggest, most sadistic, immoral son of a bitch on the face of the Earth.

Last edited by Cinemaddiction; 06-18-06 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-18-06, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cinemaddiction
Joy. 30 extra seconds of a
Spoiler:
graphic teenage rape
Oddly, I didn't find it that graphic, due to the way it was edited.
Spoiler:
When I watched it in the theater, it just seemed like a lot of struggling and some groping, but the act of the rape itself was not shown so much as implied. It was disturbing, to be sure, but I was seriously under the impression that she hadn't actually been raped--just that it was GOING to happen. It wasn't until I started reading other people's reactions to the movie that I realized that yeah, she was actually raped there. But I still think it wasn't clear enough if the director wanted us to know she was raped, so perhaps the unrated cut will fix that shortcoming.
Old 06-18-06, 03:34 AM

There are some other smaller additions that what is shown in the link above,though at least the 'big' moments are all accounted for.

The only disappoinment I can see in the release is the lack of trailer(which kicked ass). I really wish studios would include the trailers for christs sake. How hard is it to have a tiny 3 minutes or less of dvd space for a trailer?
Old 06-18-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone else see the best buy exclusive cover art to this movie? It's in the ad I got today...the only difference seems to be 'jo' written in blood on the upper left hand corner. But still, it's an exclusive, and it's only 16.99 (haven't found it cheaper elsewhere), so I guess I'll be picking it up.
Old 06-18-06, 10:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Duder
Oddly, I didn't find it that graphic, due to the way it was edited.
Spoiler:
When I watched it in the theater, it just seemed like a lot of struggling and some groping, but the act of the rape itself was not shown so much as implied. It was disturbing, to be sure, but I was seriously under the impression that she hadn't actually been raped--just that it was GOING to happen. It wasn't until I started reading other people's reactions to the movie that I realized that yeah, she was actually raped there. But I still think it wasn't clear enough if the director wanted us to know she was raped, so perhaps the unrated cut will fix that shortcoming.
I watched the Unrated version of the DVD a few days ago, and it's pretty graphic, IMO. There's no implication, it's a very intense, seemingly endless scene. Following up with the
Spoiler:
rape of the mother
, I had had enough, and that's hard to do to a fan of trash cinema.
Old 06-18-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by natevines
Anyone else see the best buy exclusive cover art to this movie? It's in the ad I got today...the only difference seems to be 'jo' written in blood on the upper left hand corner. But still, it's an exclusive, and it's only 16.99 (haven't found it cheaper elsewhere), so I guess I'll be picking it up.
I saw that as well. A bit disappointing for an "exclusive" cover if you ask me.
Old 06-18-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Any news if HOTTOPIC carries an exclusive offer?
Old 06-18-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What does "JO" mean?
Old 06-18-06, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the regular unrated versions have slipcovers and if Best Buys' exclusive really only has "JO" which I don't recall the significance of?
Old 06-18-06, 03:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
i didn't all like it that much in theaters and not sure if i can substantiate getting it on DVD. though with the CC sale and Omen it is such a decision.
Old 06-18-06, 04:52 PM

Did they really show a picture of the 'exclusive' ad or not in todays paper? Since I remember seeing The New World advertised as available with an exclusive cover. But the ad showed the regular cover,while in stores. I saw a pretty cool action type slip cover for the film.
Old 06-18-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They did show the New Worlds exclusive cover in the ad.

Here's whats in the BB ad:

Old 06-18-06, 05:13 PM

Damn that is stupid and pointless.

If another store has a better price on the film,I'm skipping Best Buy!

Oh and I'm sure J.O. stands for jerkoff,which is a good observation on this marketing tactic.

Last edited by Julie Walker; 06-18-06 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-18-06, 05:25 PM
Cool New Member

I think the exclusive cover is similar to the Special Edition of Saw. The additional blood will be fluid.

Last edited by Satyricon553; 06-18-06 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-18-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Aah...well then it doesn't really say JO afterall, just a random splash. I think you may be right on that one. I'll have to take a look.
Old 06-18-06, 07:37 PM
Banned

..might be "no".
Old 06-18-06, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cinemaddiction
..might be "no".
That's what I thought upon first seeing it. Biggest dvd mystery of the year? Guess I'll have to wait till Tuesday. I can't decide whether or not I want the exclusive slipcover, or the $10 dollar deal at CC with The Omen.

I highly doubt it's fluid blook like Saw Unrated, that would be a little too much for an exclusive. Just looks like more randomly placed blood to me.
Old 06-18-06, 11:01 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
I highly doubt it's fluid blook like Saw Unrated, that would be a little too much for an exclusive. Just looks like more randomly placed blood to me.
I don't thing it is any more extravagant than having special discs manufactured for the MOH series that include the exclusive BB features on the disc and not as an addional disc.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.