DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Bottle Rocket:anniversery edition???? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/461718-bottle-rocket-anniversery-edition.html)

animatedude 04-09-06 07:43 AM

Bottle Rocket:anniversery edition????

so it's 2006 already and we almost know all of criterions releases till june....so do you guys think it's in the works for a release later this year? or iam just being optimistic.

fliggil 04-09-06 09:34 AM

Sony owns the rights to Bottle Rocket, who does not lend their films out to Criterion, I've been hoping something would come through for years, but it doesn't look good.

lawyer goodwill 04-09-06 12:59 PM

One day, I hope to see a subject line titled: "Bottle Rocket: Anniversary Edition announced!!!" *sighs*

GuruTwo 04-09-06 02:15 PM

Criterion isn't even possible since Sony doesn't license to them but Sony could do a special edition themselves.

ChristianB 04-09-06 06:47 PM

Trust me, a Bottle Rocket Criterion Collection DVD will not be happening....

Thunderball 04-09-06 06:50 PM

I just bought the other version. New one is due out soon.

PopcornTreeCt 04-09-06 09:21 PM

There will never be a Bottle Rocket Criterion DVD ever. Move on.

animatedude 04-10-06 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Thunderball
I just bought the other version. New one is due out soon.

how do you know?

fliggil 04-10-06 09:40 AM

I think he was joking...as in every time he buys a film, a new version gets announced...bad luck...

gryffinmaster 04-10-06 09:52 AM

Just chalk it up with the rest of the releases "patiently" being waited on from Sony ... that are put on the backburner so that they can quad-release more films. ;)

I think Sony just forgot Bottle Rocket is there. Criterion should go find the rights and declare "Finders Keepers". :up:

Cygnet74 04-10-06 10:00 AM

i produce and edit DVD featurettes and commentaries for a living, so i usually have a pretty good idea of what library titles are in the works. sadly, i've heard nothing on bottle rocket. maybe i should give sony a call and see if i can get the ball rolling.

animatedude 04-10-06 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
i produce and edit DVD featurettes and commentaries for a living, so i usually have a pretty good idea of what library titles are in the works. sadly, i've heard nothing on bottle rocket. maybe i should give sony a call and see if i can get the ball rolling.

PLEASE DO SO!

DJLinus 07-06-07 09:18 PM

Not to get people's hopes up or anything, but the latest (6.12.07) New York Times TimesTalks podcast is an hour long interview with Luke and Andrew Wilson. During the audience Q&A section at the end, they are asked about a Bottle Rocket special edition DVD and Luke says "We just heard last week that I think they're going to do one of those Criterion versions of it. I don't know if that's true, but we did hear that." (this is at the 55:10 mark)

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/multimedia/podcasts.html

Maybe he gets his info from this board. :)

It's a very funny interview, btw. Worth the listen.

PopcornTreeCt 07-06-07 09:50 PM

That's interesting.

cranberries fan 07-06-07 10:55 PM

It would be cool cause all of the other Wes Anderson movies are Criterion's.

And where is Wes Anderson? and when will he start making a movie again.

Spiral Staircase 07-06-07 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by cranberries fan
And where is Wes Anderson? and when will he start making a movie again.

His new film (The Darjeeling Limited) will be released in September.

cranberries fan 07-07-07 06:18 PM

Thank you starecase I will look forward to see it.

C_Fletch 07-08-07 04:41 PM

Yea, I need to watch this movie so a new version would be nice. Untill then I'll hold off.

palace 07-08-07 09:36 PM

I saw Wes Anderson speak a few years ago at the Walter Reade Theater in NYC and he mentioned a Criterion Bottle Rocket being in the works. I've been waiting ever since.

GuruTwo 07-09-07 03:43 AM

There may very well be people with legitimate ties to this film making every attempt to get this done via Criterion.

The sad thing is that it's not very likely that they'll be able to overcome Sony's no-licensing policy.

At HTF someone posted that Corin Nemec had approached Shout! Factory in hopes that they would give "Parker Lewis Can't Lose" the same elaborate treatment they'd given other TV shows. Shout! was supposedly enthusiastic but ultimately there was nothing they could do because it was, you guessed it, a Sony property.

I'm sure Wes Anderson wants it and I'm sure Criterion would do it if they could and I know the demand for it exists among the fanbase but "Bottle Rocket" is a pretty small blip on Sony's radar and I sincerely doubt that this movie is the one that's gonna get them to change their policy or even make a one-time exception.

At least "The Darjeeling Limited" is a Fox title and Fox is Criterion-friendly.

The only way I coulda seen this happening was when Wes was at Revolution doing "The Fantastic Mr. Fox". That woulda put him in the position to pull some pretty high-up strings at Sony but with that project dead and Wes working at Fox there's just not much of an opportunity for the necessary changes to be made.

The Bus 07-09-07 10:42 AM

Oh, The Fantastic Mr. Fox is dead? :(

I'm guessing Wes was trying to get some Sony people to help him out with a Bottle Rocket CC release.

JackBurton 07-09-07 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by GuruTwo
At HTF someone posted that Corin Nemec had approached Shout! Factory in hopes that they would give "Parker Lewis Can't Lose" the same elaborate treatment they'd given other TV shows. Shout! was supposedly enthusiastic but ultimately there was nothing they could do because it was, you guessed it, a Sony property.

This is truly tragic. I'd love to see a Parker Lewis set come out. Especially with Shout! on board for it. Its really unfortunate that Sony takes this type of attitude.

tylergfoster 07-09-07 08:47 PM

I don't think The Fantastic Mr. Fox is dead...I'm pretty sure it has just moved, along with Wes, to Fox Searchlight. Last I heard, Clooney and Blanchett had hopped on board.

dx23 08-05-07 07:45 PM

Bottle Rocket has gone out of print. Maybe the biggest urban legend/Criterion wish for many could come true.

Spiral Staircase 08-05-07 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
Bottle Rocket has gone out of print. Maybe the biggest urban legend/Criterion wish for many could come true.

Wrong link. That link is for scheduled price reductions.

Here is the correct link .