Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier, Bram Stoker’s Dracula and More HD Coppola

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier, Bram Stoker’s Dracula and More HD Coppola

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HD Dracula is fire.
Old 08-02-06, 08:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mercury&Solace
HD Dracula is fire.
uhh ok.

depending.

It will be released on BD and considering that track record, "on fire" isn't really being used.
Old 08-02-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That decision is completely insane. I'd love to hear someone try to defend it.
Old 08-02-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I wonder if the reason they split it up was to stop people from keeping one version of the film and selling or giving away the other (which would be a potential lost sale).

I still think that Hearts of Darkness is too "big" to be an extra feature in an AN set. It played theatrically. It will get its own release, if it ever gets released, that is.
Old 08-02-06, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
I wonder if the reason they split it up was to stop people from keeping one version of the film and selling or giving away the other (which would be a potential lost sale).

I still think that Hearts of Darkness is too "big" to be an extra feature in an AN set. It played theatrically. It will get its own release, if it ever gets released, that is.
They'll be losing even more sales with this boneheaded decision to split them up. If I wasn't more informed about this, I'd return the set once I found out.
Still unbelievable that they would do such a thing.
Old 08-02-06, 01:13 PM
Banned

But no mention whether the theatrical cut on this edition is better A/V wise compared to the original release. Any definitive answers out there yet ?
The DVD producer told DVD Talk that they were the same two transfers from the old DVD's but that the compression is better.
Old 08-02-06, 03:48 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I agree that splitting the original 1979 theatrical version across two 2 DVD's is stupid, isn't splitting Redux in half the right thing to do, given that it's 3 hours and 22 minutes long? It seems like the smart thing to do would have to been make it 3 discs, with Disc 1 being the original, Disc 2 and 3 being Redux, and then have the extras spread out among all three discs.
Old 08-02-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Exactly. Correct the problem yourself.

Paramount really fucked this one up.
Zoetrope handles their own DVD authoring. I'm pretty sure you should take it up with them.
Old 08-02-06, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sb5
While I agree that splitting the original 1979 theatrical version across two 2 DVD's is stupid, isn't splitting Redux in half the right thing to do, given that it's 3 hours and 22 minutes long? It seems like the smart thing to do would have to been make it 3 discs, with Disc 1 being the original, Disc 2 and 3 being Redux, and then have the extras spread out among all three discs.
This would have been a good solution.

By splitting up Redux, depending on how much is on each disc, they might buy more space for extras.

Three discs is what they should have done. The current two-disc layout, IMO, will somewhat affect enjoyment of the original cut. Redux could use a bathroom break though. I almost, but not quite, made it to the end while watching the current DVD.

I have this on pre-order right now, but every now and then I consider cancelling it. The extras are tempting me a bit, but I have the original releases with the films all on one disc, and that might be enough for now. I'm not parting with them even if I get the new set.
Old 08-02-06, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
This would have been a good solution.

By splitting up Redux, depending on how much is on each disc, they might buy more space for extras.

Three discs is what they should have done. The current two-disc layout, IMO, will somewhat affect enjoyment of the original cut. Redux could use a bathroom break though. I almost, but not quite, made it to the end while watching the current DVD.

I have this on pre-order right now, but every now and then I consider cancelling it. The extras are tempting me a bit, but I have the original releases with the films all on one disc, and that might be enough for now. I'm not parting with them even if I get the new set.

I say cancel it. Send them the message.
Old 08-03-06, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

gurutwo,

thanks. I hope dvdbeaver does a comparison or somehting, because if the "better" compression is negligible, I'll hold off since I have no interest in redux.
Old 08-03-06, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by emhello
I say cancel it. Send them the message.
Zeotrope & Paramount should cancel the whole project, and go back to the drawing board on this one......unbelievable.
Old 08-03-06, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just cancelled my pre-order. Plenty of other stuff to buy.
Old 08-03-06, 09:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan Average
Zoetrope handles their own DVD authoring. I'm pretty sure you should take it up with them.
As I've never even seen the movie, I could care less.

But for those that do, have at it.
Old 08-06-06, 07:27 AM

from the bargains section, here's what circuit city is offering:
Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier >>>> $12.99 ****

****Circuit City Exclusive: Free 20 minute bonus DVD // Includes added & expanded scenes from Apocalypse Now: Redux, the destruction of the Kurtz compound with Coppola commentary & trailers
Old 08-06-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Let me get this straight...

They're still cropping the image.

Both versions are unnecessarily split between two discs.

I'm surprised FFC didn't get ILM to stick Jar-Jar Binks into half of the scenes.

Christ, how many different ways can they fuck this release up?
Old 08-06-06, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SO how can they call it the Complete Dossier if the Circuit City version (ugh) is more complete than others?
Old 08-06-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm floored that the missing material from the first two DVDs is only being offered through Circuit City ... that's unbelievably aggravating. I'm curious as to whether Paramount's gotten wind yet of the fury this edition's generated ...
Old 08-07-06, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I considered selling my original theatrical cut of the film but I knew they would somehow screw this release up. I'm considering not buying this new release at all, maybe they'll get this one right with an HD release in the future.
Old 08-07-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Christ, how many different ways can they fuck this release up?
That about sums it up.

I sold my copy of Redux last month in anticipation of this release. Once I read about the specs of this abortion, I canceled my pre-order and ordered a copy of the original for $5 from half.com.
Old 08-07-06, 04:12 PM

Please let your opinions known in the amazon.com reviews section!
Old 08-07-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I considered trading/selling my original cut DVD when I first heard about this release, but surely glad I didn't. Feels good to pass on a sucka's release like this one.

While I'd love to (finally) see this film on home video in its OAR, and hear that amazing soundscape reproduced in a full bitrate DTS track, it appears that such will have to await the next generation of home video media.

BTW, remember when Coppolla/Zoetrope were calling the original cut "permanently retired" back when Redux hit the theaters? Heh. Well, as Jim Morrison might say "goodie for us that we know they are a liar." Goodie for them, too. Hopefully, if this podperson who's been calling himself "Coppolla" since the early-80s should decide to take a scissors to "I" or "II", it won't be to the negative.
Old 08-07-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Add me to the list of those taking a pass on this release... AN is one of my top 5 films of all time but this release is a joke. No thanks, I'll keep my original and Redux copies...
Old 08-09-06, 12:56 PM

I resisted buying any previous versions, but I waited long enough and decided that the cut-price was good enough to get it now.

Coppola does describe the Hearts Of Darkness doc, on the intro video before the film plays, as "Excellent", which dimisses the theory that he doesn't like it because it portrays him as a madman.

Apologies for the dreadful quality of the picture, but I've misplaced my camera and I had to use my phone.
Old 08-09-06, 01:50 PM

Thanks a lot for those pictures.

I want it NOW!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.