Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier, Bram Stoker’s Dracula and More HD Coppola

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-06, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
Actually, of those three, I believe that Coppola is the only one for whom it can be said that every film he directed which has been released on DVD has been released at least once with the original theatrical version. As far as I know, the original 'Outsiders' is still in print, and if the original 'Apocalypse Now' isn't, it's very recent and due to this re-release.
Godfather 3? Nope.
Old 05-16-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Godfather 3? Nope.
Dammit! That's what I get for willfully ignoring that film for so long.

I can't help but chuckle at the idea that Coppola went back and re-cut GF3, Scorsese went back and re-cut NYNY, and Spielberg went back and re-cut 1941 ...
Old 05-16-06, 01:10 PM
Banned

Dammit! That's what I get for willfully ignoring that film for so long.

I can't help but chuckle at the idea that Coppola went back and re-cut GF3, Scorsese went back and re-cut NYNY, and Spielberg went back and re-cut 1941 ...
I wouldn't say he "went back" as the first home video release had it in there. Didn't the others go back after a good amount of time had passed?

It's amusing that you mention AG when all that had was one shot changed. Godfather 3 had 9 minutes added, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 05-16-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's amusing that you mention AG when all that had was one shot changed.
One shot changed digitally compared to previous video versions... but several scenes added vs. what was shown theatrically. Harrison Ford singing "Some Enchanted Evening", etc.
Old 05-16-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
One shot changed digitally compared to previous video versions... but several scenes added vs. what was shown theatrically. Harrison Ford singing "Some Enchanted Evening", etc.
Exactly; now that I know 'Last Picture Show' happened well after the fact, I do believe that 'American Graffiti' might qualify as the first Special Edition re-cut. I think it's about five minutes longer, with seven minutes added and two lost ... but it might be even less than that.

Though somebody will surely come along shortly to correct me on that. [But please ... it's so much more fun to blame Lucas.]

And dfnyc, not as much time as you'd think; Scorsese re-cut 'New York, New York' several times, but it was all within a few years. I believe the final cut (the one we have now) was released by 1981. [For whatever it's worth, the only part of the movie I thought was truly bad was the part he added back in.] With '1941', I was under the impression (possibly wrong) that it has never been available anywhere in the original cut, that all video and television releases have been Spielberg's extended cut, which might have been his initial preferred cut. ['Close Encounters', however, was definitely much later.]

...And here's me wishing for a three or four disc "Godfather Saga" re-edit release... Man, I love that chronological cut.
Old 05-16-06, 02:47 PM
Banned

Yes but the original version of AG was never released on video. Didn't it go right to the extended edition from 78?
Old 05-16-06, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes but the original version of AG was never released on video. Didn't it go right to the extended edition from 78?
I'm not sure what you're getting at, exactly; my point is that the theatrical cut of 'American Graffiti' is one of the many Lucas films which has never been released to DVD in its theatrical cut. This was in response to Tyler's post saying that Coppola "would be the last one [after Lucas and Spielberg] to keep refusing to release a film in its original version."

FWIW, I do agree with you that it also wasn't released to VHS in its theatrical cut. Lucas has long refused to release the film in its original version. I've heard it said that it reinstates scenes the studio wouldn't let him put in originally, now that the cast was more famous; I've also heard it said the studio asked him to do a new version which they could release to more fanfare now that Lucas was famous. Don't know what's true, don't know as we'd ever have the chance to find out for sure.
Old 05-16-06, 03:25 PM
Banned

The first is actually true. From what I know, the studio took the film away from him and cut out all those scenes.

After Star Wars, they let him re-release it with the scenes back in. That's the home video version.

You can't really blame him for that.
Old 05-16-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I wouldn't say he "went back" as the first home video release had it in there.
Copolla was well behind schedule with Godfather III's post-production and had to rush an unfinished cut to theaters before he was done with it. He continued working on it while the film was in theaters. The home video release is his finished cut.
Old 05-16-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first is actually true. From what I know, the studio took the film away from him and cut out all those scenes.
It never rang true to me that the studio would think that two minutes would make such a huge difference. What is the stuff they added back in, anyway? [Other than the song.] That's not the only reason it doesn't ring true to me, just a big one. (Another big one: Since when does George Lucas care enough about characterization that two minutes would make any difference at all?)

After Star Wars, they let him re-release it with the scenes back in. That's the home video version.
Ah, but it's more complicated than that; they didn't just "let" him... it just (entirely coincidentally, I'm sure) happened that, shortly before they released their own sequel to the movie (which Lucas "executive produced"), they re-released the original into theaters, and completely out of the goodness of their heart, they decided to let Lucas slightly modify the cut to increase Harrison Ford's screentime (among other things).

I know that current-Lucas's story is that he was restoring the cut to his intention ... but, after all he's said about 'Star Wars', I can't accept Lucas as a plausible source on anything. Especially his own stuff, because everything he says is considered and designed to promote himself, and ...

Wait, what's this thread about again?

Anyway, I'm all about reminding people (in general) that 'Star Wars' is just the most high-profile non theatrical cut to never be on DVD (for a few more months); it's hardly the only one. [The next most high profile is probably 'Close Encounters', or possibly 'Streetcar'.]
Old 05-16-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Copolla was well behind schedule with Godfather III's post-production and had to rush an unfinished cut to theaters before he was done with it. He continued working on it while the film was in theaters. The home video release is his finished cut.
Jeez ... how bad was the theatrical cut, then?
Old 05-16-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exactly; now that I know 'Last Picture Show' happened well after the fact, I do believe that 'American Graffiti' might qualify as the first Special Edition re-cut. I think it's about five minutes longer, with seven minutes added and two lost ... but it might be even less than that.

Though somebody will surely come along shortly to correct me on that. [But please ... it's so much more fun to blame Lucas.]
It depends on what you mean by "Special Edition re-cut." Close Encounters, the 1980 recut of which was released theatrically as a "Special Edition" (even if it contains at least one major concession by Spielberg to studios demands) beats probably any done-for-home-video recut.

DJ
Old 05-16-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by djtoell
It depends on what you mean by "Special Edition re-cut." Close Encounters, the 1980 recut of which was released theatrically as a "Special Edition" (even if it contains at least one major concession by Spielberg to studios demands) beats probably any done-for-home-video recut.
But 'American Graffiti's theatrical re-release was in 1978 or 79, wasn't it?

EDIT: Imdb sez May '78 ...

Also wanted to apologize; I didn't mean to turn this into a debate about *why* Lucas won't release the theatrical cut; whether it needed to be re-cut or not, he felt it did, and it is, and that's fine. I don't imagine it makes for a hugely different movie anyway. All I meant was, Lucas may finally be releasing 'Star Wars', but he's still got unreleased theatrical versions of other movies. As does Spielberg.

This whole thing was fun, though; I love delving into these assorted cuts...

Last edited by ThatGuamGuy; 05-16-06 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-16-06, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...And here's me wishing for a three or four disc "Godfather Saga" re-edit release... Man, I love that chronological cut.
Old 05-16-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

But 'American Graffiti's theatrical re-release was in 1978 or 79, wasn't it?
Well, that's why I asked how you wanted to define "Special Edition." If you just want to go into movies that were recut by the director, then American Graffiti is hardly the first. D.W. Griffith revised Birth of a Nation constantly during its first few years, and major revised versions were released a number of times after that. Griffith even released it edited and with an orchestral synchronized soundtrack with sound effects in the 30s. We could also spend a few hours, for example, just talking about the revisions Charlie Chaplin made to his films. Lucas and Spielberg are drops in the bucket.

DJ

Last edited by djtoell; 05-16-06 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-17-06, 01:47 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

well, heres a compromise-the theatical version in 2:35, the extended in 2:10
Old 05-17-06, 02:30 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Seashellz
Ah, hell no!
Old 05-17-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You know, kinda like how "Some Folks Call It A Sling Blade" isn't on the 'Sling Blade' DVD.
Ironically, Some Folks Call it a Sling Blade is also directed by Hickenlooper. Guy can't catch a break.
Old 05-17-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am not a fan of the new cover, or the fact that Heart of Darkness will not be on there.

But I will still pick this up. Damn.
Old 05-17-06, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Seashellz
Yes, but both Coppola and Vittorio Storaro (the cinematographer) say that they prefer the 2.0:1 ratio for this film. So it's not OAR, but at least that's the director's and cinematographer's desire. That's better than some random change with no explanation.
Old 05-17-06, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
Ironically, Some Folks Call it a Sling Blade is also directed by Hickenlooper. Guy can't catch a break.
Yeah, that's what prompted that example; people are quick to jump on Coppola over this, and it *may* be true that he's doing it ... but it could just as easily be Hickenlooper who doesn't want his movie to be reduced to a special feature on a multi-disc set.
Old 05-19-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I feel like I always have to post this when Hearts of Darkness comes up since people who like the film love the story: (from this old thread http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=17 )

Originally Posted by me
I've got a good story about this excellent film. I'm probably flubbing some details but it's still a good story.

I once had the opportunity to have dinner with George Hickenlooper and I asked him why the film has no footage of Harvey Keitel in Apocalypse Now! (since he played Willard for about 2 weeks before being fired). He said that when they started to cut Hearts of Darkness they found everyone's original signed release from the original shoot except for Keitel's. That meant that if they wanted to use him in the film they'd need to get his permission all over again. Knowing that this was a sore spot for Keitel, George tried to go about this in a smooth manner. He asked Keitel to do an interview for the doco and planned to then ask for permission for the footage once Keitel was already involved, telling his own side of the story.

Harevy, of course, was suspicious so he told Hickenlooper to call Fred Fuchs and Francis Coppola and find out why they fired him and report back. Then he'd decide if he wanted to be in the doco. So Hickenlooper calls Coppola and asks why he fired Keitel. Coppola, being very savvy, says a bunch of stuff about how Harvey is too strong of a personality and too much of a character actor and was drawing too much attention to himself rather than being the empty vessel for the audience to view the insanity of the film through etc... Hickenlooper reports this back to Keitel. Then he calls Fuchs and asks the same question. "Because he was an f***ing a**hole" is the response. Hickenlooper repeats this to Keitel who then says "That's it! F*** you, f*** Coppola, f*** Fred Fuchs, f*** Apocalypse Now! I'm not doing your stupid documentary!" End of story...

Until some time later Hickenlooper receives an invitation to a bar-b-q at Keitel's house. Not sure why, he goes. He finds Keitel and his Reservoir Dogs buddies all hanging out in the backyard. Now, Hickenlooper is a pretty modest fella. No tough guy compared to the Madsens and Penns of the world. Apparently Keitel backed Hickenlooper into a corner and stuck his finger in his face, screaming "I was a Marine! I was THERE! I know what it was LIKE! Martin Sheen wasn't in the service! I WAS! I'm Willard! I'm Willard! I'm Willard! I'M WILLARD!!!!"

Now, at this point in the telling of the story Hickenlooper has worked himself up into a fury. His eyes are bugging out, spit is flying everywhere, and he's screaming at the top of his lungs with his finger right in my face. Other people in the restaurant are turning around to see what the hell is going on. It was scary, only moreso when you try to imagine Harvey Keitel doing that to you. Hickenlooper tells a damn good story. It was a memorable experience. Maybe he'll tell it on the DVD!

Maybe he'll also talk about how Fax Bahr (codirector and later creator of MadTV (!)) didn't do any work on Hearts of Darkness. Hickenlooper is nothing if not candid in person (ask him about Sling Blade too... He's got a LOT to say on a lot of topics!)
Old 05-19-06, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

interesting story, and you know Harvey would have made a fine Willard.
Old 05-19-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
interesting story, and you know Harvey would have made a fine Willard.
Well, we'll never know unless he'll let us see the footage.
Old 05-22-06, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Actually, of those three, I believe that Coppola is the only one for whom it can be said that every film he directed which has been released on DVD has been released at least once with the original theatrical version.
You're absolutely right, I didn't think before posting. But if Coppola really is holding back the release of Hearts of Darkness, that's a low even Spielberg and Lucas haven't stooped to. Allen Klein bullshit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.