Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier, Bram Stokerís Dracula and More HD Coppola

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier, Bram Stokerís Dracula and More HD Coppola

Old 04-13-06, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People can actually stand Coppola's Dracula? This thing is so off the charts bad. I like to believe Coppola was on something very serious when he made this thing. It mixes in every possible lame film technique he possibly can toss in. 98% of them are so out of place and absurd, not to mention the pathetic casting of Keanu Reeves in his role. It makes John Carpenter's Vampires a masterpiece like never seen before.

Last edited by cfloyd3; 04-13-06 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-13-06, 12:25 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

OAR! OAR!

Thats all I have to say.
Old 04-13-06, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
They don't have to bother releasing the full workprint. All they have to do is provide what's left of the workprint footage in a deleted scenes section. Once you take out the footage used in Redux,it's about two hours more worth of footage still left unseen,that I'm aware of.

Since who would want to sit through the entire 5/12 hour workprint? Workprints no matter what interesting scenes/footage is included are quite a chore to sit through and pretty boring.
REDUX sucks in the sense that all the extra footage included in it is generic dumb exposition stuff that just bogs everything down. None of the extremely disturbing sequences from the workprint were included in REDUX, just the dull stuff that wouldn't offend anyone. I watched the 5+ hour bootleg workprint version quite a few years ago and thought it was pretty incredible at the time (although the quality of the bootlegged transfer was somewhat poor) and I was never bored. However, REDUX left me completely cold and bored and left me yearning ONLY for the original theatrical version or the complete extended workprint. I seriously doubt that we'll ever see that workprint on DVD so I'm not fretting over it, but the wimpy REDUX version is simply pointless and has no balls whatsoever and I doubt I will ever visit it again.
Old 04-13-06, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

agree with both the last posts.

dracula = very bad
redux = inferior to TE
Old 04-13-06, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by cfloyd3
People can actually stand Coppola's Dracula? This thing is so off the charts bad. I like to believe Coppola was on something very serious when he made this thing. It mixes in every possible lame film technique he possibly can toss in. 98% of them are so out of place and absurd, not to mention the pathetic casting of Keanu Reeves in his role. It makes John Carpenter's Vampires a masterpiece like never seen before.
Thanks for the threadcrap. It was ever so informative and helpful.
Old 04-13-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by man*machine
REDUX sucks in the sense that all the extra footage included in it is generic dumb exposition stuff that just bogs everything down. None of the extremely disturbing sequences from the workprint were included in REDUX, just the dull stuff that wouldn't offend anyone.

So what disturbing footage is in the workprint? I'd love to know!
Old 04-13-06, 10:57 AM

So just to clarify, do you expect they'll release a non-HD version of AN (with all the extras, etc) as well as an HD cut? I don't feel like upgrading yet, but would really like a good version of this film. Even if they're both included in the same package I'd be ok with that.
Old 04-13-06, 01:40 PM

Dracula is awesome.
Old 04-13-06, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by man*machine
REDUX sucks in the sense that all the extra footage included in it is generic dumb exposition stuff that just bogs everything down. None of the extremely disturbing sequences from the workprint were included in REDUX, just the dull stuff that wouldn't offend anyone. I watched the 5+ hour bootleg workprint version quite a few years ago and thought it was pretty incredible at the time (although the quality of the bootlegged transfer was somewhat poor) and I was never bored. However, REDUX left me completely cold and bored and left me yearning ONLY for the original theatrical version or the complete extended workprint. I seriously doubt that we'll ever see that workprint on DVD so I'm not fretting over it, but the wimpy REDUX version is simply pointless and has no balls whatsoever and I doubt I will ever visit it again.
Again, does anyone know for sure whether the original cut of this film will be included but have the same quality as REDUX? If so, I'll definitely be purchasing this.
Old 05-15-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, Davis DVD and DVD Active have announced an 8/15 release and the beginning bonuses.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...lypse-now.html

I'm slightly disappointed, truthfully. While I can't wait, a movie like Apocalypse Now should be three or four discs. This is Titanic all over again!
Old 05-15-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*Still* not Hearts of Darkness documentary? What the hell?

I'm really, really glad I picked that up on laserdisc. I never thought we'd be on the 3rd release of AN on DVD and this amazing documentary would still be unavailable.
Old 05-15-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
*Still* not Hearts of Darkness documentary? What the hell?
Based on what Hickenlooper (I may have the director's name wrong) said on 'Dinner For Five', I'd suggest that it's possible that Coppola wants some things re-cut in the documentary that Hickenlooper doesn't want to ... so Coppola, who owns the film (it's a Zoetrope production, right?), won't release it. (Or, at least, not with 'Apocalypse Now'.)

It's funny that, with all the "making-of" docs on all the DVDs, they have yet to release what most people consider to be the best making-of ever...

Any word on whether or not this is HD-exclusive?
Old 05-15-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is this a new and improved transfer for Apocalypse Now?
Old 05-15-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts
Dissapointing specs.... might wait for HD/BR...
Old 05-15-06, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 92 Posts
someone has seen the rough cut.

dvd savant
Old 05-15-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DavisDVD has the artwork up if anyone is interested
Old 05-15-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What bboisvert said is how I feel as well. Without the Hearts of Darkness documentary, I consider this set incomplete. Considering that I already have both versions of this classic film already, I will remain on the undecided fence until early reviews come out.
Old 05-15-06, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It doesn't say Hearts of Darkness ISN'T included. It does say there are more features to be announced.
Old 05-15-06, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
The cover claims over 2 hours of bonus material, and Hearts of Darkness alone is 96 minutes. It doesn't look good based on that, unless over 2 hours means nearly 3 hours.
Old 05-16-06, 02:23 AM

DVD Times has artwork and list of features:
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=61523
Old 05-16-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

great packaging, but no Hearts of Darness = No Sale
Old 05-16-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A "Complete Dossier" of Apocalypse Now without the great Hearts of Darkness Documentary?

LAME.
Old 05-16-06, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Indeed, while the list of special features does sound good (though I'm assuming that "Commentary by Francis Ford Coppola" and "Watch the Film With Francis Ford Coppola" are the same thing, with the latter just being a description...maybe? Or will it be something else?), count me in the group that's disappointed by the exclusion of Hearts of Darkness.

And I'm also wondering how they'll handle the setup on these discs. Since the theatrical version and Redux are fundamentally different (different takes, et al), I can only assume that they'll be on separate discs, and that the special features will be scattered across both discs...I guess?
Old 05-16-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, the omission of "Hearts of Darkness" is really disappointing. You know, five years ago I'd never have thought that out of Coppola, Spielberg and Lucas, Coppola would be the last one to keep refusing to release a film in its original version. Maybe he doesn't want his reputation tarnished any more after "Jack".
Old 05-16-06, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
Yeah, the omission of "Hearts of Darkness" is really disappointing. You know, five years ago I'd never have thought that out of Coppola, Spielberg and Lucas, Coppola would be the last one to keep refusing to release a film in its original version.
Actually, of those three, I believe that Coppola is the only one for whom it can be said that every film he directed which has been released on DVD has been released at least once with the original theatrical version. As far as I know, the original 'Outsiders' is still in print, and if the original 'Apocalypse Now' isn't, it's very recent and due to this re-release.

With Lucas, 'Star Wars' will be the *first* theatrical version released. [I may be wrong on that; I have been led to understand that the new trilogy have all had minor modifications made to the DVD release, but I don't know what or any of that. So it may not be exactly right but, without question, neither 'THX-1138' nor 'American Graffiti' have ever been released to DVD in their theatrical versions.]

With Spielberg, you've got 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' and '1941'. Also, 'Duel' is only available in the theatrical version ... which is modified from the original television cut.

Hell, even Martin Scorsese is more guilty of it than Coppola (see "New York, New York" ... but only as an example, you shouldn't actually see it).

Nobody knows for sure why 'Hearts of Darkness' isn't on this DVD set; everything has been speculated based on a few isolated things Hickenlooper said. For all we know at this time, he could be the one holding out, demanding that his film get a seperate release, and not just relegated to an "extra" feature on a DVD.

You know, kinda like how "Some Folks Call It A Sling Blade" isn't on the 'Sling Blade' DVD.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.