Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts
Re: No holds barred commentaries

The IGN guys on King Of Kong.
Old 04-21-11, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hokeyboy
why not paul verhoeven on starship troopers??

"digital... Real... Digital.... Real.... Digital... *bloodcurdling scream that wakes up the neighbors*..."
"kill the slut!!"
Old 04-21-11, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by terrible chong
in the cast commentary for Resident Evil Apocalypse, Milla Jovovich is apparently drunk or ditzy or both.
she and Oded Fehr non-stop make fun of the dialogue, the special effects and the zombie noises

Jovovich has one of those pirate laughs where it sounds like she is horking snot
Ha! Somebody uploaded a chunk of it to YouTube

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K3WZwqlGkWw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-22-11, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
You neglected to mention that both Jovovich and Rodriguez were drunk off their asses when recording that track. It's pretty embarrassing to listen to.
Oh come on, it's fun

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8rDfwgLZ5u4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-22-11, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On the commentary track for "71 Into The Fire", Bey Logan jokes about his ex-wife having alzheimer's disease... ouch.
Old 04-24-11, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeadMADMAN
Seven - Brad Pitt rips the marketing department for insisting his face be on the movie poster and then gets in a conversation about how his eyes appear.
Sorry to ask a question to a post over a year old but what commentary is this. The Criterion LD wasn't repeated for the New Line SE was it, and I haven't checked to see if they have a new commentary for the blu-ray. That and the Halloween CC were the only LDs i wished i would have held onto.
Old 04-25-11, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by paradicelost
Sorry to ask a question to a post over a year old but what commentary is this. The Criterion LD wasn't repeated for the New Line SE was it, and I haven't checked to see if they have a new commentary for the blu-ray. That and the Halloween CC were the only LDs i wished i would have held onto.
I'm pretty sure they were talking about the commentary from the 2-Disc New Line Platinum edition, the "Audio commentary by director David Fincher, actor Brad Pitt and actor Morgan Freeman." It appears that this and the other 3 commentaries are carried over onto the Blu-ray. I don't know about the LD.
Old 04-25-11, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Apparently the LD has a different commentary for Se7en.

As for the Criterion Halloween commentary, it is on the Anchor Bay Blu-ray
Old 04-25-11, 02:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wanted to throw my two cents in and mention the passive-aggressive "praise" that Samuel L. Jackson heaps upon "Deep Blue Sea." He seems to have a blast discussing what a "master thespian" Stellan Skarsgard is, and calling attention to LL Cool J's switching head abrasion (think Ygor's hump from "Young Frankenstein").

I saw the "Clerks: Animated" commentary mentioned, and I honestly think it's what turned me against Kevin Smith. All sour grapes, crapping on everything from ABC to "Family Guy" to everything that's more successful than him. As whiny as the "Chasing Amy" commentary was a dirge for the lost love of Joey Lauren Adams. VERY disappointing.
Old 04-25-11, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mxyq1ztPib4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-09-11, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,432 Likes on 913 Posts

I liked the commentary track of The Cell, although it was certainly holds barred. The director compliments everybody: the costume designers, the prop men, the bit players . . . and never says a word about the star, Jennifer Lopez.
Old 06-27-11, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I discovered a new one:

Forever Evil (VCI)

The director & screenwriter are brutally honest about all their shortcomings & hardships experienced in the production of this low-low-budget 80's horror movie that the distributor barely distributed. I picked this up in the DD sale & I'm glad I did. The screenwriter also wrote a huge series of web essays about the making of this film.

I also recommend Joe Bob Briggs' commentaries on the Ray Dennis Steckler DVDs (Incredibly Strange Creatures..., Blood Shack, The Hollywood Strangler Meets The Skid Row Slasher). He does a great job dissecting & affectionately critiquing these strange, cheap films.

(Btw, this is one of my favorite threads. I'd love to see it more active. I've found some great commentaries through these posts.)
Old 06-27-11, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe not so much, but on "Hot Fuzz" there is the short film Edgar Wright made as a kid, with optional commentary by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost watching, bashing it, making fun of the acting, the hairstyles, fashion, etc. But when Simon says "there's a pube in the gate", just made me laugh hysterically, as much as Nick.
Old 08-19-11, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Brian Trenchard-Smith's commentary for Escape 2000 (aka: Turkey Shoot), R1 Anchor Bay DVD.

He's very candid about the film's many shortcomings, in a gentlemanly sort of way.
Old 08-20-11, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

(Regarding the thread title)
Hopefully this will finally shut everyone up!
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hMPuW32NFA4?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hMPuW32NFA4?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

^The bedroom scene (0:45:45-0:51:20) was the only thing that I remembered from this movie. Thankfully the commentators didn't disappoint there.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 08-20-11 at 02:14 AM.
Old 08-20-11, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sequel thread: "Over the top commentaries."
Old 04-05-13, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do they still make dvd/blu-ray's with multiple commentary tracks? I love that. I don't see it anymore.
Old 04-05-13, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Hulk Hogan gets this much conversation?
Old 04-06-13, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Yeti4623
Do they still make dvd/blu-ray's with multiple commentary tracks? I love that. I don't see it anymore.
Of course there are. Some recent ones with multiple commentaries:
Prometheus, Skyfall, Celeste And Jesse Forever, The Muppet Christmas Carol, Kill List, for example, and also for TV series, Mad Men Have 2 commentaries for almost every episode, sometimes Futurama have 2 as well.
Old 04-08-13, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Movies produced by Glass Eye Pix/Dark Sky tend to have more than one commentary. The last 2 Ti West films, The Innkeepers and The House of the Devil, both had 2 commentary tracks. So did Stake Land.

Some of the Scream Factory discs have multiple commentary tracks. Halloween III & From Beyond come to mind.

I'm sure whenever Edgar Wright's upcoming film hits DVD/BD, that will have multiple commentary tracks like Shaun of the Dead & Hot Fuzz.

Some recent ones with multiple commentaries:
Prometheus,
I thought the writers' commentary track was much more insightful than Ridley Scott's. It's not "no holds barred", but Jon Spaihts gives some honest opinions on the finished product
Old 04-08-13, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Yeti4623
It's rarer these days but still happens. The recent first season release of Veep on Blu-ray had 12 commentaries scattered over the eight episodes. One set was by the production team and another by the cast.
Old 04-09-13, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

not sure if it counts as "no holds barred" but the Tony Scott commentary for Revenge is a hoot. to say he had the hots for Madeline Stowe is an understatement
Old 04-09-13, 06:17 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Scott Pilgrim had like four commentaries.

And on one of them, Aubrey Plaza was a bit drunk and was very honest (not in a dishy way, though)

Last edited by John Pannozzi; 04-09-13 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-28-13, 08:05 AM
Cool New Member

the commentary track for the film suckers done by the actors co writer and director is funny.
Old 05-28-13, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't listened to it, but it sounds like Bruce Campbell's commentary for Crimewave would qualify for this thread?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.