DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   No holds barred commentaries (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/460219-no-holds-barred-commentaries.html)

Alan Smithee 05-29-13 04:05 AM

Re: No holds barred commentaries

Haven't listened to any of Tony Scott's commentaries- wonder if there's any indication that he would end up jumping off a bridge.

ntnon 06-18-13 03:33 AM

Terry Gilliam and Charles McKeown on The Adventures of Baron Munchausen talk about most of the problems they had making it - if I remember rightly, it's even made pointedly clear that many of the (money) problems were also entirely avoidable.

Commentaries on the UK release of the utterly brilliant series Maid Marian and her Merry Men are refreshingly honest as well as informative, amusing and good - creator/writer/actor Tony Robinson mocks some of his choices and abilities; occasional background actors get mocked; some members of the cast forget that they're commenting on a children's show and wind up swearing (which in at least one case clearly bothers some of the other people present); in one case, one person goes quiet for a while because s/he falls asleep, etc., etc.

Didn't the original R2 release of Tomorrow People get pulled because of commentary 'issues', or did I imagine reading that...?

Yeti4623 07-30-14 08:27 PM

Kind of OT:

I've listened to more than a few commentaries where the director acts like he/she is watching someone else's movie.

Lastdaysofrain 07-31-14 07:05 AM

I have the R2 Tomorrow People (we're talking original series, not the recent remake?) and the commentaries are pretty candid, but nothing jumped out as an "issue" to me.

Yeti4623 01-06-15 08:22 AM

Matthew Vaughn doesn't hold back too much on his Kick-Ass commentary.

Mondo Kane 01-06-15 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 11645579)
not sure if it counts as "no holds barred" but the Tony Scott commentary for Revenge is a hoot. to say he had the hots for Madeline Stowe is an understatement

Reminds me of the Rio Bravo commentary. Richard Schickel comes this close to wacking off to Angie Dickinson near the end of the movie.

SterlingBen 01-07-15 01:57 PM

Jason Goes To Hell and Crystal Lake Memories are some recent ones that come to mind.

Yeti4623 12-06-16 09:28 AM

Any more?

Mondo Kane 12-07-16 11:08 AM

Gremlins cast commentary, to some extent. I just listened to this for the first time recently. Poor Zach Galligan and Joe Dante try to maintain a bright discussion about the film, but Phoebe, Dick and (Especially) Howie disrupt everything with their grumpiness. The track almost completely ends halfway through.

John Pannozzi 12-07-16 06:21 PM

jmspls72 12-07-16 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara (Post 6899709)
I think the best in this regard is Eddie Muller's commentary on Born to Kill where he discusses his own encounter with Lawrence Tierney. In fact, any DVD extra involving Tierney is good -- the commentary for the Simpsons episode he starred, the featurette on the Reservoir Dogs DVD where Tarantino and the cast discuss working with him. Of course, the only reason this is possible is because Tierney's dead -- no one would dare talk smack about him if he could turn up on their doorstep.

The Blue Underground edition of The Final Countdown is pretty good. It's not so much the commentary, which is honest but not brutal, so much as the featurettes on the second disc where people involved discuss the fact that the director was a drunk, and everyone hated Katharine Ross for being a stuck-up biddy.

I now have another reason to pick up this great flick. Is the blue underground version available. Is of the current version availible

Doctor Kick 02-27-17 08:48 PM

The Ron Van Clief and George Tan commentaries for Black Dragon, Way of the Black Dragon and Death of Bruce Lee are some of the best. Van Clief doesn't hold anything back. One story he tells is when he worked as a train officer. A guy pulled a knife on him and George Tan asks what did you do? Van Clief says- I shot him. There's also some behind the scenes footage shot by Van Clief on Super 8. He gets challenged by a stuntman to a fight, and these guys play rough. Also there's commentary on the behind the scenes footage.

Classic Game Room the Rise and Fall and The Best of Classic Game Room 15th Anniversary- If you're a fan of CGR these 6 hours worth of commentaries are a dream come true. Mark Bussler talks about everything you want to know from why the show is always changing to why Mark's voice has changed over the years.

Silent Night Deadly Night 2- the writers and director try to give a professional commentary, and seem a bit irritated that actor James Newman is only interested in making fun of the movie.

Along Comes the Tiger- star/producer/writer Don Wong Tao answers every question Toby Russel fires at him and isn't afraid to talk about the movie's shortcomings. He's also not afraid of throwing the director under the bus complaining about him being drunk all the time.

Pride FC events 1-8- since these were not broadcast in America they decided to record fight commentary for the DVD release and act like they are live at the event. This turns into a real mess especially when Bas Rutten is on the screen cornering a fighter, and also doing the commentary. At one point Stephen Quadros is telling a story and gives away the winner of the fight. Bas says to him- hey you can't say that, we're live.

..Now that I think about it the Pride FC commentary is the opposite of what this thread's about-ptth-

SterlingBen 06-13-17 08:51 PM

Crawlspace has a lot of fun remembrances about how terrible Kinski was to work with.

Giles 06-13-17 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane (Post 12963914)
Gremlins cast commentary, to some extent. I just listened to this for the first time recently. Poor Zach Galligan and Joe Dante try to maintain a bright discussion about the film, but Phoebe, Dick and (Especially) Howie disrupt everything with their grumpiness. The track almost completely ends halfway through.

Joe Dante's best commentaries are the one's where he's going solo.

SterlingBen 01-14-18 10:33 AM

The Guillermo del Toro commentary on Mimic. He talks about the death by a thousand cuts of doing a movie by commity (how the studio/producers kept making him change things over and over again until he ended up having to make a giant killer cockroach movie). Also interesting in heinsight in regards to the Weinstein sex scandal.

Doctor Kick 12-12-21 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Numes (Post 8764283)
I can't verify the exact content of the commentary, but there was a commentary on that episode and much of the focus was about Tierney and how crazy he was.

Also on the Reservoir Dogs DVD Tarantino and the cast go in depth on how insane Tierney was. It ends with a long story from Chris Penn and it is hilarious. It actually brought me to tears I was laughing so hard.

SterlingBen 12-15-21 10:33 PM

Commentary For Crash! (1976) (DVD)*

Any commentary where the director admits to multiple crimes is a good commentary.