Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warner Film Noir Box 3

Per dvdbeaver Box 3 will include

Border Incident
His Kind of Woman
Lady in the Lake
On Dangerous Ground
The Racket

Haven't seen any of them but I'd only seen a few out of the first two boxes anyway. Can't wait.
Old 03-24-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought the first two boxes completely blind and loved 'em. Never heard of any of these, but they look great from the IMDb listings. Can't wait!
Old 03-24-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sold.
Old 03-24-06, 03:16 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Haven't seen any of these either, but am anxious to do so.
Old 03-24-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OH MY GOD. I'm there.
Old 03-24-06, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Probably pick this up. WB sure did Noir right. I have all the Fox Noir's up until the latest 3 but some of them really put me to sleep.
Old 03-24-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by chente
Lady in the Lake

Can't wait
Me either.

Gettin' close to owning 100 noir titles.
Old 03-24-06, 06:20 PM

Loved the first box as a blind buy, haven't picked up volume 2 yet, I'm sure I'll get around to it and now vol. 3 as well, but this one doesn't seem to interest me as much overall. I trust Warner though, I'm sure it'll be worth it.
Old 03-24-06, 07:01 PM

Just a bit of info on the following three, in case anyone finds it helpful. (I've not seen the other two, but these three would make the set worth getting even if the other two were crap.)

Border Incident -- Possibly the best-known of all of Anthony Mann's films noir. This is the film that caught James Stewart's eye and helped convince him to work with Mann on "Winchester '73." If you've seen any of Mann's films noir, you'll have a pretty good sense of what goes on in this one, since most of them followed the same pattern. Here, Ricardo Montalban goes undercover to penetrate an illegal immigrant-smuggling ring. It features John Alton's brilliant cinematography (Alton helped solidify noir's visual style) and particularly nasty murder.

Lady in the Lake -- One of Robert Montgomery's directorial efforts, based on the Raymond Chandler novel. Notable primarily as (arguably) the most successful film to show all the action from the main character's point of view -- literally! Every shot is as if you're looking through the eyes of Philip Marlowe (played/voiced by Montgomery himself). I never think that these gimmicks ever completely work, but Montgomery comes closer than anyone else ever has.

On Dangerous Ground -- A personal favorite of mine. A film noir with two very distinctive halves: the first set in a prototypically seedy urban setting where Robert Ryan is cracking up due to pressure; the second is set in a small mountain community where Ryan is sent to help the local authorities. Ryan is brilliant, as is Ida Lupino, who supposedly directed certain scenes while Nicholas Ray was ill. It also features a stand-out score by Bernard Herrmann. Highly recommended!
Old 03-25-06, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

SOLD. Just give me a street date...
Old 03-25-06, 08:27 AM

This is a terrific set. BORDER INCIDENT is ridiculously good, if you haven't seen it. It's almost worth the price of the set alone.
Old 03-25-06, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 477 Likes on 350 Posts
I've never seen any of these movies, but seeing as how Border Incident is an Anthony Mann noir - and I love his noirs, and seeing as how the set also includes Lady in the Lake (which I've been wanting to see) I'm sold on this set.

Even though the 2nd Warners Film Noir box set wasn't as good as the first set (kind of hard to beat the titles in the first set), it was still VERY good, so I trust that they'll do another fantastic job with this set.

This is going to be a very good year for classic films from Warners.
Old 03-25-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
for this boxset. I have been waiting to watch "Lady in the Lake" for a long time.
Old 03-26-06, 03:50 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Fantastic. Been waiting to hear about this!
Old 03-26-06, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Once again, WB proves it's the best of the major studios, showing respect for ther catalog. Great news!
Old 04-08-06, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

06.18.06 for this set....

along with that tough guys news came...

The Film Noir Classics Collection: Volume 3 All new to DVD and all digitally remastered: "Border Incident," "His Kind of Woman," "Lady in the Lake," "On Dangerous Ground" and "The Racket." Available exclusively with the set will be a bonus documentary, "Film Noir: Bringing Darkness to Light"-- a vital companion piece that contains an elucidating overview, complete with clips and expert commentary - and "Vintage Shorts": "Women in Hiding," "You, the People," "Forbidden Passage" and "A Gun in his Hand." The six-disc collection will be sold as a set only for $49.92. (Warner).
Border Incident (1949) Dir.: Anthony Mann; Ricardo Montalban, George Murphy, Howard Da Silva, James Mitchell. Extras: Commentary by film historian Dana Polan, trailer.
His Kind of Woman (1951) Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell, Vincent Price, Tim Holt, Charles McGraw, Marjorie Reynolds, Raymond Burr, Jim Back. Extras: Commentary by film historian Vivian Sobchack.
Lady in the Lake (1947) Dir.: Robert Montgomery; Robert Montgomery, Audrey Totter, Lloyd Nolan, Tom Tully, Leon Ames, Jayne Meadows. Extras: Commentary by film historians Alain Silver and James Ursini , trailer.
On Dangerous Ground (1952) Dir.: Nicholas Ray; Ida Lupino, Robert Ryan, Ward Bond, Charles Kemper, Ed Begley. Extras: Commentary by film historian Glenn Erickson, trailer.
The Racket (1951) Robert Mitchum, Lizabeth Scott, Robert Ryan, William Talman. Ray Collins Extras: Commentary by film historian Eddie Mueller, trailer.
Old 04-08-06, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hmm, this might be the first of the Warner noir sets I pass up... There just don't seem to be any standout titles in this one.
Old 04-08-06, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by illennium
Hmm, this might be the first of the Warner noir sets I pass up... There just don't seem to be any standout titles in this one.
Are you kidding? Both Border Incident and On Dangerous Ground are "standout titles" by two directors who are central to 1940s Hollywood noir (Anthony Mann and Nicholas Ray). In my opinion at any rate, they make volume 3 clearly superior to volume 2, which had only one "standout title" (The Narrow Margin).
Old 04-08-06, 09:03 PM

The cast lists in these films are excellent. Although someone might want to tell Warners' publicity writer that one of stars of HIS KIND OF WOMAN is really Jim Backus (of Magoo and Howell fame) not Jim Back

Perry Mason fans will rejoice at seeing Raymond Burr, William Talman, and Ray Collins in various titles in this set.

With a very low street price of around $35 it will be impossible not to pick this up.
Old 04-08-06, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ambassador
Are you kidding? Both Border Incident and On Dangerous Ground are "standout titles" by two directors who are central to 1940s Hollywood noir (Anthony Mann and Nicholas Ray). In my opinion at any rate, they make volume 3 clearly superior to volume 2, which had only one "standout title" (The Narrow Margin).
Hm, I may have spoken too soon. I will wait to read what my trusted stable of (film) critics have to say about these when they are released.

I agree that Volume 2 was not essential except for the inclusion of The Narrow Margin. That fact slipped my mind when I posted and I agree now that it may well be that this third set will eclipse the second. I am not actually a fan of Nicholas Ray but I do seek out his films because of their importance to the Nouvelle Vague directors, Godard being my favorite director by a wide margin. I force myself to watch Ray films and try to see what Godard saw, although without his vision and brilliance I always fall short.
Old 04-08-06, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by illennium
I am not actually a fan of Nicholas Ray but I do seek out his films because of their importance to the Nouvelle Vague directors, Godard being my favorite director by a wide margin. I force myself to watch Ray films and try to see what Godard saw, although without his vision and brilliance I always fall short.
It's interesting you're not a fan of Ray. I'm curious if there are specific reasons or maybe you're just not impressed by what you've seen? I ask because he's one of my favorite directors and most of his work isn't available on dvd in R1.
Old 04-10-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As with the Tough Guys set, I think you have the date wrong. 6/18 is a Sunday. The date I saw was July 4.
Old 04-10-06, 03:03 PM

I am a bit of a minority on this but I have seen both On Dangerous Ground and Border Incident and I personally found them pretty marginal. I am a Ray fan, particularly In a Lonely Place. They Live By Night for some reason still is not out there but apparently a commentary has been recorded so that is some exciting news in itself. It is not that far behind In a Lonely Place. The Lusty Men and Johnny Guitar also are tremendous and I would put them right near In a Lonely Place. I suppose Rebel Without a Cause doesn't need my input but my admiration is not near for it the same as In a Lonely Place and The Lusty Men.
Old 04-10-06, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by cfloyd3
I am a bit of a minority on this but I have seen both On Dangerous Ground and Border Incident and I personally found them pretty marginal. I am a Ray fan, particularly In a Lonely Place. They Live By Night for some reason still is not out there but apparently a commentary has been recorded so that is some exciting news in itself. It is not that far behind In a Lonely Place. The Lusty Men and Johnny Guitar also are tremendous and I would put them right near In a Lonely Place. I suppose Rebel Without a Cause doesn't need my input but my admiration is not near for it the same as In a Lonely Place and The Lusty Men.
Have you seen The Savage Innocents? There's a newly released R2 from Masters of Cinema that is uncut and looks great. It was my first time seeing it and I was impressed.
Old 04-14-06, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts
Lux Broadcast

Will "Lady in the Lake" DVD have the Lux Radio Theatre Broadcast from
2-9-1948 with Robert Montgomery as a bonus feature?

WB messed up and didn't include the Lux Radio Theatre episode of
"Murder My Sweet" from 6-11-1945 with Dick Powell and Claire Trevor
on that DVD.
WB has been putting radio shows on many DVDs. Seems a little strange
that they would not have them for the Philip Marlowe movies, especially when those episodes are very available.

I alread have those two shows on CD but I just think they should be included
on the DVD, so people can have a chance to listen to some Old-Time
Radio shows.

As a side note.
Van Helfin played Marlowe on a NBC radio series in the summer of 1947.
The show was revive on CBS with Gerald Mohr as Marlowe. 1948-1951.
The later series was far better.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.