Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

New Rocky 2 Disc Ultimate Edition & More Coming Soon!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Rocky 2 Disc Ultimate Edition & More Coming Soon!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-06, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the new Anthology does not include the 2-disc of Rocky?
Old 10-18-06, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this set the exact same as the last set from MGM?
Old 10-18-06, 05:26 PM

Sure sounds that way.
Old 10-18-06, 05:27 PM

So new transfer visually for Rock 1, but only DD....
Old 10-18-06, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I will stick with my Rock I and I SEs, they are plenty good enough to watch on my HDTV.

I never Double Dip and I will start now.
Old 10-19-06, 02:37 AM
Banned

So the new Anthology does not include the 2-disc of Rocky?
I don't think it's a "new Anthology", it's just the last one released.

There will undoubtedly be a new Anthology when the sixth film is released, or at least shortly thereafter (after a good amount of people have bought it seperately).
Old 10-29-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Did this get bumped? I don't see a listing for it at Amazon.
Old 10-30-06, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by joliom
Did this get bumped? I don't see a listing for it at Amazon.

Search DVD for "Rocky" . It's still there, but at the bottom of page 1, the 12th listing.
Old 10-31-06, 01:08 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The CE (2-disc) version of Rocky WILL be in the new Anthology... this is part of the press release that announced the two:

The Rocky Anthology

Rocky: Collector's Edition - Discs One & Two

Rocky II - Disc Three

After club fighter Rocky Balboa (Stallone) goes the distance with the world heavyweight champion, boxing fans clamor for a rematch. But Rocky, having sustained massive injuries in the bout, announces his retirement. Though he tries to make a new life for himself, Rocky realizes that he can't escape his true calling. The ring beckons once more, and the "Italian Stallion" must prepare for the fight of his life.

Rocky III - Disc Four

As Rocky Balboa (Stallone) fights his way into the hearts of millions, life couldn't be better. He scores 10 consecutive wins, lands lucrative endorsement contracts and becomes famous throughout the world. But when Clubber Lang (Mr. T) K.O.s Rocky in a humiliating defeat, it becomes apparent that the "Italian Stallion" has lost his edge. Considering hanging up his gloves, Rocky receives encouragement from an unlikely ally: his old nemesis, Apollo Creed (Weathers). With Creed's help, Rocky strives to regain the "eye of the tiger" before confronting Lang in a grueling rematch for the world heavyweight championship.

Rocky IV - Disc Five

Rocky (Stallone) proudly holds the world heavyweight boxing championship, but a new challenger has stepped forward: Drago (Dolph Lundgren), a six-foot, six-inch, 240-pound fighter who has the backing of the Soviet Union. This time, Rocky's training regimen takes him to icy Siberia, where he prepares for a globally-televised match in the heart of Moscow. But nothing can truly prepare him for what he�s about to face -- a powerfully charged fight to the finish in which he must defend not only himself, but also the honor of his country!

Rocky V - Disc Six

Upon returning home from his latest triumph, Rocky (Stallone) learns that all of his money has been lost by an unscrupulous financial advisor. To make matters worse, his fight-related injuries force his retirement from the ring. So Rocky, his wife Adrian (Shire) and his son Rocky Jr. (Sage Stallone) move to their old low-rent neighborhood in South Philadelphia. There, the fighter must resolve the deep-rooted resentment held by his son, a bitterness that grows when Rocky trains Tommy Gunn (Tommy Morrison), a young boxer who soon rises to national prominence. When Tommy turns against his mentor and publicly taunts him, Rocky knows he must fight once more.
Old 11-01-06, 07:41 AM

Is anyone going to gripe that they aren't including the A&E disc of Sylvester Stallone that was found in the last Anthology?

I might buy the new Rocky SE, but not sure if I want to triple dip on it.
Old 11-01-06, 10:30 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
no such thing as HD on regular DVD.
yeah well you know what I meant...transferred from a HD source.
Old 11-01-06, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Harold Wazzu
Is anyone going to gripe that they aren't including the A&E disc of Sylvester Stallone that was found in the last Anthology?

I might buy the new Rocky SE, but not sure if I want to triple dip on it.
This pisses me off. When I purchased the Rocky Anthology (double dip from the first one), I had to contact the company and have them send me the disc. Now, they have a THIRD box set coming out. Is this the same material as the first Rocky Anthology only with a second disc with extras for Rocky 1 ?
Old 11-01-06, 12:36 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Precisely, that's my main issue: are ROCKY II-V new transfers or identical to the last Anthology's releases?
Old 11-01-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I think we can all assume that there will be a FOURTH box set release next year to include Rocky Balboa in it.

We can only hope that that box set will have special features for the other films.
Old 11-02-06, 03:34 PM
Banned

Thedigitalbits.com is reporting on its 11/2 post that the Rocky CE will not be included in the Anthology set:

Just FYI, we've also confirmed today that MGM's 5-film Rocky Anthology DVD box set (due on 12/5) will NOT include the new 2-disc Rocky: Collector's Edition. You'll only be able to purchase that separately for now.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

This news is contradicting the press release. Who is right then?
Old 11-02-06, 04:34 PM

ok so basically this is THE SAME Rocky Anthology that was released about a year ago then?
Old 11-02-06, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Sounds like it. The more info that comes out, the less reason there is for this release to exist, particularly considering there will undoubtedly be another set with the Rocky 2-disc SE and Rocky Balboa included.
Old 11-02-06, 08:13 PM

I just checked out the Rocky Anthology from DDD. Says it wont be released until December, however, I already own it...bought it a year ago. What did they discontinue it and now re-release it?
Old 11-03-06, 06:24 PM

I was just told by my MGM contact that the press release was wrong. The box set will indeed only have a 1-disc Rocky in it (?!?)

The press release has been corrected.
Old 11-20-06, 02:21 AM

Does the last anthology have a better looking transfer of Rocky II? I have the original anthology and II is not 16x9. I have a Korean R3 copy of II (which was mastered right here in the US) that is 16x9. Neither transfer is very good. the Non anamorphic one looks pixelated in parts and the 16x9 has a slightly different color scheme.
Old 11-20-06, 06:42 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by compulsive dvd
I have the original anthology and II is not 16x9.
Let's be very clear on our phrasing--the box set you have is not called the ROCKY Anthology and the word "anthology" appears nowhere on it (yours is the one with the red boxing gloves as the box artwork, right?). You have the original boxed set, which (as I recall) features non-anamorphic transfers for II and IV. In the Anthology set (both the first pressing from 12/14/04 and this upcoming reissue), the transfers for all five films are anamorphic.
Old 11-20-06, 11:47 PM

Yes, and the R3 version I have is anamorphic, too. I'm asking if the transfer is any better.
Old 11-21-06, 06:48 AM
Banned

compulsive dvd, I understand that and cannot answer to it because I never owned the non-anamorphic version; my post was meant to curb any confusion readers might experience by your problematic use of the word "Anthology" to describe a set that was not designated as such.
Old 11-21-06, 07:11 AM
Cool New Member

Since MGM is involved in the upcoming "Rocky Balboa", I'll wait for the inevitable ultimate edition boxset which will contain all six films.
Old 11-21-06, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Let's be very clear on our phrasing--the box set you have is not called the ROCKY Anthology and the word "anthology" appears nowhere on it (yours is the one with the red boxing gloves as the box artwork, right?). You have the original boxed set, which (as I recall) features non-anamorphic transfers for II and IV. In the Anthology set (both the first pressing from 12/14/04 and this upcoming reissue), the transfers for all five films are anamorphic.
That earlier set with the panoramic spines was not the original box set either. The first set was bare bones and had, I believe, black backgrounds. They were in snappers originally, but then got re-released in keepcases. The original releases came out in 1997 and were supplanted by the panoramic spine set in 2000 or 2001.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.