Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

New Rocky 2 Disc Ultimate Edition & More Coming Soon!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Rocky 2 Disc Ultimate Edition & More Coming Soon!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-06, 01:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocky has become the "other" Army of Darkness in the double-dipping community.
Old 09-11-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is release #4 correct...

Rocky -barebones from mgm (keepcase and snapper i believe)
rocky - SE from mgm
rocky- HD transfer no extras MGM
ROcky 2 discer

plus box sets with the SE and the HD
Old 09-11-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by The Monkees
The new Rocky 2-Disc here (From DavisDVD.com):

But, no word on if the other movies have any extras. I hope they do...
Frankly, I don't know if any of these extras and specs convince me to upgrade from the last special edition. Yo Adrian, I've spent enough money on Rocky I.
Old 09-11-06, 03:14 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Do they have to continue pummeling us with these Rocky boxsets? Why couldn't they get it right the second time with the Anthology?
Because there wasn't a new Rocky for them to leech off of then. Duh.
Old 09-11-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
this is release #4 correct...

Rocky -barebones from mgm (keepcase and snapper i believe)
rocky - SE from mgm
rocky- HD transfer no extras MGM
ROcky 2 discer

plus box sets with the SE and the HD
Yeah that's about right. The original barebones ones were black, I believe, and came in snappers originally before MGM decided to switch their entire line over to keepcases. Then came the ones with the panoramic spines. Then the Rocky 1 SE and a silent anamorphic re-release for IV. Then we got the Anthology versions...and now these new ones. So theoretically, someobody could potentially be quadruple-dipping on Rocky II, III and V and quintuple-dipping on Rocky I & IV (or even add one more round if they had the original snappers and made the effort to rebuy them when they first debuted in keepcases). That definitely puts them right up there with Evil Dead and Halloween.
Old 09-11-06, 07:41 PM

sheesh!
Old 09-11-06, 08:43 PM

Just wait until FIRST BLOOD: IV... Yikes!
Old 09-12-06, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thankfully, I didn't buy the last set, and the only way I'll buy this set, is if there's some good extras for the sequels.
Old 09-13-06, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I hope there are special features for the sequels, but I fear not
Old 09-14-06, 08:17 PM

It will be unbelievable if they manage to botch this release again. They should all be anamorphic with improved transfers downconverted from HD, single-sided discs with full color artwork, and featuring quality extras for each individual film. Anything less than that, and they're just pissing in our faces.
Old 09-14-06, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The picture quality on the anthology before wasn't bad. It wasn't as good as it could have been compared to 'now's standards but it's not bad enough for me to want to double dip on it.
Old 09-14-06, 10:44 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by joliom
It will be unbelievable if they manage to botch this release again. They should all be anamorphic with improved transfers downconverted from HD, single-sided discs with full color artwork, and featuring quality extras for each individual film. Anything less than that, and they're just pissing in our faces.
Isnt the latest Rocky Anthology boxed set all HD anamorphic transfers?
Old 09-15-06, 03:23 PM

But no extras to speak of. That was my point. In order to justify another box set release they need to meet all of those requirements. Otherwise, there's no reason for any of us who own the previous Anthology set to upgrade on anything more than just Rocky I. My complaint is that they've had 3 opportunities to get it right so far and have failed every time. The Rocky franchise deserves better treatment. The original is an American classic and the first 3 sequels were monsters at the box office. There should be a box set to match. The Anthology set should have been it. So now they've worn out my patience and if they want any more of my money, they need to meet those 3 conditions at a minimum. Otherwise, no dice.
Old 09-15-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I stopped after the first double dip that came out in 2001. The first and ONLY time I've bought Rocky.
Old 09-15-06, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by joliom
But no extras to speak of. That was my point. In order to justify another box set release they need to meet all of those requirements. Otherwise, there's no reason for any of us who own the previous Anthology set to upgrade on anything more than just Rocky I. My complaint is that they've had 3 opportunities to get it right so far and have failed every time. The Rocky franchise deserves better treatment. The original is an American classic and the first 3 sequels were monsters at the box office. There should be a box set to match. The Anthology set should have been it. So now they've worn out my patience and if they want any more of my money, they need to meet those 3 conditions at a minimum. Otherwise, no dice.
Agreed, I was quite bummed out when I read this. I was really expecting a special edition box set, not just a special edition of the first. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the first film, but I want special editions of all the films! I have a feeling that next year when Rocky Balboa hits DVD there will be a new box set. But it makes sense to get it out for the 30th anniversary of Rocky, I guess they're just doing part I to celebrate the 30th anniversary.
Old 09-16-06, 12:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Isnt the latest Rocky Anthology boxed set all HD anamorphic transfers?
no such thing as HD on regular DVD.
Old 09-16-06, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^that is correct, though the last set was taken from New HD transfers
Old 09-16-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I think the guy who posed that question realized that they were transferred from an HD source, geniuses. In a forum about DVD's, I think that's pretty self explanatory... especially to a senior member.
Old 09-16-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can handle no sequel commentaries, but can't they at least put together some making of documentaries, for the sequels?
Old 09-18-06, 01:25 PM

Amazon has this for pre-order and the description reads :5pc. http://www.amazon.com/Rocky-Antholog...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd
Old 10-17-06, 09:36 PM
Banned

From dvdactive.com:

Rocky CE (R1) in December

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Rocky (Collector’s Edition) for 5th December 2006 priced at $26.98 SRP. Nominated for 10 Academy Awards and winner for Best Picture, Rocky is the film that inspired a nation and is now returning to DVD complete with all new bonus features.

Disc 1: Main Feature
1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English DD5.1 Surround
French & Spanish Dolby Surround
Spanish subtitles
New Audio Commentary by Sylvester Stallone
New Audio Commentary by Boxing Legends Trainer Lou Duva & Commentator Bert Sugar
3 Rounds With Legendary Trainer Lou Duva
Interview With A Legend: Bert Sugar
"The Opponents"

Disc 2: Extra Features
"In the Ring” 3-Part Making of Documentary
Steadicam: Then & Now
Make Up! The Art & Form with Michael Westmore
Stacatto: A Composer's Notebook With Bill Conti
"The Ring Of Truth"
Deleted Scenes

Also released the same day is a new Rocky Anthology giftset ($49.98 SRP), which appears to be a barebones affair offering just the five films across five discs with the new “Hi-Def” transfers created for the last release by MGM. Rocky features English 5.1 DTS and 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround alongside the original Mono, whilst the sequels only feature English 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround mixes. French 5.1 and Spanish Mono are featured on Rocky, whilst the sequels all feature French and Spanish Mono (except for Rocky 5 which has French Stereo Surround and Spanish Mono). All five films offer English, French and Spanish subtitles.
cover art here:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=63048
Old 10-17-06, 11:13 PM

So they dropped the DTS for the new 2 disc Rocky? (Not that it really mattered before...)
Old 10-18-06, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Davy Mack
So they dropped the DTS for the new 2 disc Rocky? (Not that it really mattered before...)
it seems that the Rocky Anthology giftset has the first movie in DTS...
Old 10-18-06, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why do they keep releasing new boxsets, without extras for the sequels? Doesn't the studio realize how popular they were/are? It's a total rip-off. Once again, no sale. Maybe next time, they'll get it right, and also have all six together.

Last edited by Yeti4623; 10-18-06 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-18-06, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Davy Mack
Yeah, that sucks. I thought the box set contained the 2 disc Rocky...

I'm sure they will release yet another box set next year to include Rocky Balboa, which I hope then it will contain special features for the sequels.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.