DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Q about the Good Night and Good Luck DVD (Full v Wide) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/459146-q-about-good-night-good-luck-dvd-full-v-wide.html)

mattx5 03-15-06 08:28 PM

Q about the Good Night and Good Luck DVD (Full v Wide)

Just rented this last night from Blockbuster, excellent film.

I'm just wondering, was there only a widescreen version, or was the movie released in full screen as well?

I'm wondering because when I put the disc in, it displayed the film in full screen. I thought maybe that was the OAR but not according to what I looked up.

I then thought maybe my player stretched the image, but it has NEVER done that before.

So is there a full screen version and I just rented it by accident? Or should I be looking at my DVD player settings to see why it stretched a widescreen disc?

Drexl 03-15-06 08:53 PM

I don't have the disc yet so I can't check, but it's possible that it may be one of the few discs accidentally set to use the automatic pan and scan feature. If your player is set for 4:3 P&S (this is the default setting on many players), change it to 4:3 letterbox.

I'm assuming you don't have it set to 16:9 but are watching it on a 4:3 TV, because you said your player hasn't stretched a disc before.

mattx5 03-15-06 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
I don't have the disc yet so I can't check, but it's possible that it may be one of the few discs accidentally set to use the automatic pan and scan feature. If your player is set for 4:3 P&S (this is the default setting on many players), change it to 4:3 letterbox.

I'm assuming you don't have it set to 16:9 but are watching it on a 4:3 TV, because you said your player hasn't stretched a disc before.

Thanks, I'll try that (and yeah, my TV is 4:3)

:)

CKMorpheus 03-16-06 02:09 AM

When I was at Best Buy last, I saw a huge load of Widescreen versions, and no Full Screen... but I'm not fully convinced there isn't a Full Screen version, as per the huge 'WIDESCREEN VERSION' on the top of the cover. Usually only used when there is a choice. And Blockbuster being Blockbuster, they might have rented out the Full Screen version.

NatrlBornThrllr 03-16-06 02:20 AM

A simple google search didn't turn up a fullscreen version.

-JP

Mr. Cinema 03-16-06 07:14 AM

Clooney doesn't want his films cropped. :)

marty888 03-16-06 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Clooney doesn't want his films cropped. :)

So he's probably against colorizing it, too ..... -wink-

pumpush 03-16-06 04:20 PM

If you don't have the DVD, you can see one of the special features here. Cloony talks about the history behind the film.

I'm bummed this one didnt win the oscar.

DeanoBKN 03-16-06 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by pumpush
If you don't have the DVD, you can see one of the special features here. Cloony talks about the history behind the film.

I'm bummed this one didnt win the oscar.

I agree. Amazing film. As soon as I finished watching it, I started it all over again.

Wick 03-19-06 03:38 PM

My Mom rented it from Blockbuster, and ended up with a full screen version. I started watching it, and decided not to until I could find a W/S version. Supposedly the lady told her that, "They're all black and white, and that's the only version available." Heh.