Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Oscars = "DVDs are evil"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-06, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Since their movie came out in May, what where they supposed to do? Send out notes asking them to remember the movie? Every studio sends out screeners.
Most studios are worried about pirating, especially since 4 of the 5 best picture nominees are still playing in some theaters. With that note, a limited amount of screeners get sent out (in hopes that the studios can get academy members who don't get the screeners to attend free screenings to see the nominated films instead).

Since Lionsgate already made most of what money they were to make off Crash, they obviously don't give a shit about piracy (especially since the DVD has been out for over four months now) and were able to send copies to every Academy member and then some.
Old 03-06-06, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lamphorn
Saying you prefer DVD to a theatrical screening is like saying you prefer listening to a C.D. and pumping your hands in the air in your living room instead of at a rock concert surrounded by tons of fans.

Actually, rock concerts are awful as well. Drunken aholes bumping into you and spilling overpriced beer on you. Kids out looking to fight, disgusting bathrooms, and bands that sound a lot better in the studio than live. Give me a CD any day.

As for theaters, we made the horrible mistake of going to see Date Movie two weeks ago. Not only was that movie horrible but the theater lobby was packed with people waiting to see Madeas Family Reunion. They were standing around waiting an hour before the movie was scheduled to start seating. So it was a traffic nightmare having to weave through people just to get to the ticket guy. While doing this there were several rude comments like we were breaking in the non-existent line. People didn't want to let us move forward and we almost were late to the movie just because of the lobby. Thankfully there were 30 minutes of commercials and previews. It was like the other customers didn't realize there were other movies playing. And the theaters didn't know how to handle the crowd.

Well that was just the lobby, once we were in the theater it was the usual that has already been discussed. So give me a home theater any day. Sorry for my long rant.
Old 03-06-06, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
The main thing that drives me crazy when I go to the movies?

The fact that people still laugh out loud at a joke that is played in every TV spot and trailer of said film.
Old 03-06-06, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok, one last analogy and then I have to get my ass to bed

looking at the Michaelangelo paintings on the Sistine Chapel in person,
or looking at a 4"x5" digital photo of it.

If you're looking at a film compressed down to DVD, you aint seeing the whole thing. And to the above poster, neither I nor anyone I know have a projector or a 110 inch screen. And even so, it's still a compressed digital image.
Old 03-06-06, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

And even so, it's still a compressed digital image.
So?
Old 03-06-06, 04:23 AM

In my opinion theaters still give great viewing experience (provided that the theater is good, comfortable, good sound system, good projector and operator, etc. etc) - yeah, I know disturbance like people talking children screaming, etc. but I watched the movies, not the audience. As long as they are not that annoying I never paid any attention.

My home theatre equipment is limited. I only use a 29 inch TV, a DVD player, and 5.1 speaker system which is supposed to be used on computer. No AV receiver, no fancey speaker system, wiring, or whatever. I watch in my 3 x 3m boarding house room. So I still can't afford to create theatrical experiece personally. And it's different. I enjoy DVD but yes, I still go to theater watching movies as well.
Old 03-06-06, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ok, one last analogy and then I have to get my ass to bed

looking at the Michaelangelo paintings on the Sistine Chapel in person,
or looking at a 4"x5" digital photo of it.

If you're looking at a film compressed down to DVD, you aint seeing the whole thing. And to the above poster, neither I nor anyone I know have a projector or a 110 inch screen. And even so, it's still a compressed digital image.
A decent projector costs under $2k now, a white wall will do nicely as a screen, and you and your friends should try it.
Old 03-06-06, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I respectfully disagree. I think they should RAISE ticket prices. That way if you are paying $20 to see a movie, you are going to make damn sure that you are going to SEE that damn movie and not talk throughout it. No one's going to pay $20 to sit there and talk throughout the movie. They obviously pay $9 to talk throughout a movie, but maybe if the ticket prices were $20, they wouldn't be so nonattentive.
That statement is astonishing in its level of ignorance. Hey, here's a better idea - instead of denying yet another luxury purchase to the lower class, how about we push for the theater owners to DO THEIR F*CKING JOBS????? Someone's talking through the movie? Someone's kid is screaming? Someone's phone / pager keeps going off? Throw them out! What insanity leads you to say that theater employees shouldn't simply remove the offending parties, instead they should just throw all the poor folk out?
Old 03-06-06, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sort of surprised that no one has mentioned that this could be a slap at Mark Cuban and his idea of bringing movies to DVD at the same time that they're in the theater. I don't think the idea will ever work, but you know that theater owners are probably pretty scared right now.
Old 03-06-06, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by slothroplt
Totally.

Dear Academy,

Do you want me to go to the movies? Make better movies. Lower the price of everything. Soundproof the walls. Put the projector bulb at full brightness. Give me seats with a decent sightline.

Do you really want me to go to the movies? Serve real drinks. Serve real food. Put me in a real theater with reclining/rocking seats angled toward the screen and a screen at or below my eyeline.

And undoubtedly, most importantly, GO 70MM!!
AMEN! Add to the list the fact that I'd like to be able to take my family of 5 out to see a movie without having to take out a loan at the bank. I still go to the movies monthly, but geez I can buy the DVD and enjoy a great dinner with my family at the same time and STILL come out cheaper and get almost the same feeling as the big screen (I actually like my home theater better than my local theater). Be sure to add to the list the ability to kick out those jerks that like to talk and wiggle around in front of you during a movie.
Old 03-06-06, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
He's definitely right. The MPAA prez said himself that movies are to be seen on a giant screen with sound coming from all around.

I cordially invite the president to spent an evening in my basement.
Old 03-06-06, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

LOL, when they were showing those epic clips that "need to be seen in the theater", I was drooling over their HD quality on my 73" DLP. Can't wait for Blu-Ray
Old 03-06-06, 08:33 AM
Banned

I respectfully disagree. I think they should RAISE ticket prices. That way if you are paying $20 to see a movie, you are going to make damn sure that you are going to SEE that damn movie and not talk throughout it. No one's going to pay $20 to sit there and talk throughout the movie. They obviously pay $9 to talk throughout a movie, but maybe if the ticket prices were $20, they wouldn't be so nonattentive.
Your going out the world backwards guy! If someone is willing to pay twenty dollars to see a movie in the theater (which would be ludicrous), they might as well wait a couple of months later, and buy it to own at a cheaper price when available on DVD.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 03-06-06 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-06-06, 09:28 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Did anyone else enjoy the irony of showing clips from "epic movies that should be seen on the big screen"... on a TV broadcast?
Old 03-06-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nothing can replace the theatrical experience. Crying babies, ringing cell phones, and $10 popcorn!

= J
Old 03-06-06, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Nothing can replace the theatrical experience. Crying babies, ringing cell phones, and $10 popcorn!
Amen! I'll sit at home and watch my $20 DVD on a 120" screen, beats the theater experience (read above comment) every time!!

You really can't comp[are the theatre release to a DVD release anyway... because in addition to having the theatre experience at home, I can also go back and watch documentaries, go back and listen to the director commentaries etc.
Old 03-06-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarantino

= J

That reminds me, what was the theater audience audio track on the extended re-release of Sin City like?
Old 03-06-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was at the movies this weekend and didn't have any ringing cell phones, no babies, and the popcorn was only $5. It was a good experience. Of course it looked like most of trouble makers were busy seeing Dave Chappelle's Block Party and that new black guy dressed up as a woman movie.
Old 03-06-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm taking up the Academy on their offer. I won't be buying any DVDs in the next sixty days. I may extend that for a longer time if these greedy simpletons want to keep shooting themselves in the foot.

Not only was it Jake "Not Frodo or Spiderman" Gyllenhaal and the MPAA president but the camera shot to the audience who was nodding and applauding.

So, point taken. Movies aren't meant to be watched at home. I got it. Thanks.
Old 03-06-06, 10:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the Academy was smart they would go the other way and start adding some DVDs categories...

- Best overall DVD release
- Best DVD specific documentary
- Best sound transfer to DVD (kind of subjective based on the system played on though...)
- ???

I mean if these awards are really meant to recognize the people in the industry that do an outstanding job the DVD is becoming as important part of the process. Not to mention it's a great ad opportunity
Old 03-06-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That would do way more harm than good. It would drive most people away from seeing a movie at those prices. I know I would see 0 movies in a theater at those prices. I don't think there has ever been a movie made that I would pay $20 to see. I'd just get the DVD then. People complain now at the prices of movies as a reason to stay home since they can buy the DVD for about the cost of two tickets. Raising it much higher will further convince people to do this.
Old 03-06-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
DVD is my preference, over theatre, for all the usual reasons.

The industry needs to wake up and realize dvd/home format is definitely here to stay, and make efforts to benefit from that, rather than snide sniping and not improving their product. Of course, we've seen this before, with network tv versus cable, the RIAA and the music industry versus mp3, and FM radio versus satellite. They don't learn.
EVEN IF theatre is a 'superior' format, which I won't deny *if it's done right* [clear image, well-balanced sound, no distractions, etc], the odds of getting that 'done right' are very very low. And it seems like every change is purposefully selected to drive away the most customers/consumers. So Hollywood, before you continue bitching about the competitor, make sure your product is worth buying in the first place.

Of course, it's quite likely that it's only some of the "big names" who are doing this complaining. The little guys, the indies, the creative forces, they probably love DVD, it's the way to get their work into the hands of millions of people, rather than competing for one screen out of 20 at ten randomly chosen theatres. Much like the mainstream media doesn't like things like podcasts or blogs, because it's an alternate source to get more/different information, and not be dependent on the 'mainstream'.

And, of course, since theatres generally only show a film at most a few months, if you don't catch it then, it's gone. Apart from a few arthouse/indie theatres or university theatres that may play revival type things, what are the chances of my seeing Citizen Kane in a theatre, or my boy's seeing it? Thanks to DVD, when he's old enough to watch and understand film, he can see that classic film and focus and appreciate it. Or, the other way around--the "classic" Cannibal! the Musical--did it ever play in a theatre? I daresay my local Rialto won't be showing it anytime soon.

And that's not even mentioning the other points people have made--the quality of home theatre, the convenience, the value [a 20-buck dvd with hours of bonus content, rather than just a 2-hour movie that you can't hear because the sound is crappy or the kid next to you is giggling with his friends]. Or for the deaf--most DVd's have subtitles or captions. I know some theatres have those headphones, but is there any other method of assisting the deaf in enjoying films?

Of course, ultimately, it's about content. Looking at this year's Oscar noms and winners, there are only 9 films I have either seen or have even the slightest interest in seeing--2 are animated, 2 are documentaries, one is based on a comic book, and one is a 'children's' film.
Old 03-06-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If Hollywood wants to get people to go to theaters more instead of just watching DVDs, they need to get the incentive to go to the theater higher.

Two things they can do (DVD fans will hate):

1. Lengthen the time between the theatrical release and the DVD release. Most movies are released 3-4 months after they come out in the theaters. Many people just decide to wait. Since Hollywood can control when their own movies go to DVD, wait about a year before putting it out. This way, people who hear things about a movie will more likely go see it to find out what the talk is.

2. Raise the cost of DVDs. People will avoid an $8 ticket since they can buy the DVD for $16 soon after. People can't seem to go 2 hours without stuffing their faces so they say that going to a theater costs as much as the DVD so they wait. Jacking the prices of a DVD to close to $30 will have many people deciding that the theater is the cheaper option. (I can hear people freaking out over this)
Old 03-06-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
He's definitely right. The MPAA prez said himself that movies are to be seen on a giant screen with sound coming from all around.
Let's see...

"giant screen"? I've got that- Check.
"sound coming from all around"? I've got that- Check.

What the hell does the MPAA know? My home setup beats the shit out of any movie theater I've ever been to.

Even Best Buy is selling projectors and widescreen pulldown screens now. See this weeks printed ads.

What I don't have:
  • cellphones randomly going off (and people actually answering them)
  • babies crying, loud talking
  • dickhead teenie boppers
  • insanely prices food/drinks
  • crazy ticket prices
  • forced ads before the show
Old 03-06-06, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Bugg
It's too funny when one considers that over half of the Academy members, watched the films they voted on, via dvd screener copies. If they even bothered to see the movies before casting their ballots.
Yeah, huh?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.