Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

1/only It's a Wonderful Life thread (merge of the three current threads)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

1/only It's a Wonderful Life thread (merge of the three current threads)

Old 11-16-07, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For a film like It's a Wonderful Life, it just didn't need color. It's like the logistics behind Disney's cartoons in the 1930s. They made the Silly Symphonies in color starting in 1932, but continued making Mickey Mouse shorts in B&W for another three years. It wasn't a matter of saving money as much as it being unnecessary.

It's sort of like deciding which movies to adapt to the IMAX DMR process. It's obvious to IMAX-ize Spider-Man 3, but it would be unnecessary for Little Miss Sunshine.

I think the new colorization looks great, but it doesn't add anything. Although, it doesn't detract, either.
Old 11-17-07, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by baracine
P.S.: Glenn Erickson (DVD Savant) wrote me that the reason he didn't review the colour version is that (and I quote) "colorization is BAD".
Old 11-17-07, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
yes i see that dim bulbs are now on this thred too and want to stop the color freedom choice thing because yo only think cushy corporations only want tu make money and thats all . i demand that all m ovies and cartoons like tom a nd jerry be coloriozed and not censored. i love the freedom way
Old 11-17-07, 07:30 AM

Censorship and colorization are not entirely dissimilar issues, inasmuch as it could be argued that colorization is a form of censorship. However using words like 'freedom' and 'choice' to defend the practice just makes me want to vomit.

Sorry.
Old 11-17-07, 12:41 PM

Colorization helps new generation to like classic

Do you, anti-coorization guys, realise that colorization helpED to get a whole new generation to start appreciate classics films???

Many of the audience of classic films today are due the colorization made in 80's and 90's. The films colorized films was broadcasted in fine hours, getting audience, and the colors helped to broke the prejudice to, old films.

Colorization also helped preserve the films, sice Ted Tunner in the 80's did preservation master for the library he purchased, followed by competer colorization of many.

And now with DVD technology we have a clear option to choose what version to watch.
In 80's we could turn the colors out of TV, but back then they used much old grain reduction making it soft.

So, if we have so much fine realises, like from Warner, of vintage films, much of that is due colorization had get new generation to enjoy classics.

-
Old 11-17-07, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Carcosa
yes i see that dim bulbs are now on this thred too and want to stop the color freedom choice thing because yo only think cushy corporations only want tu make money and thats all . i demand that all m ovies and cartoons like tom a nd jerry be coloriozed and not censored. i love the freedom way

This never fails to crack me up!

Thanks.
Old 11-17-07, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard

This never fails to crack me up!

Thanks.

Old 11-17-07, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Alfred Bergman
So, if we have so much fine realises, like from Warner, of vintage films, much of that is due colorization had get new generation to enjoy classics.

-
That's the mother of all sweeping generalisations. And pure conjecture.

Originally Posted by Carcosa
Apologies, Carcosa, for being too dull to see that your tongue was pushed firmly in your cheek...

Last edited by John Hodson; 11-17-07 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-17-07, 03:53 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PatrickMcCart
(...) I think the new colorization looks great (...)
I will take whatever encouragement I get wherever I can get it.
Old 11-17-07, 06:10 PM

Interesting debate, but no one can post any screen caps of the color version? Would like to see some more before I consider purchasing.
Old 11-17-07, 09:33 PM

More captures. Skin color is the last frontier...

Here more images.

Looks good.

By BetoDarce

Colorization of skin it's the last frontier in technology challenge for colorization... The guy on the right (image bellon) got a bit strange skin color for this scene.

By BetoDarce

The faint soft hair lines got skin color in Donna Reed's characters.

By BetoDarce

By BetoDarce

Anyway a very beautiful work.

-
Old 11-17-07, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks almost as beautiful as the original photography.
Old 11-17-07, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by John Hodson
Apologies, Carcosa, for being too dull to see that your tongue was pushed firmly in your cheek...
No problemo!

Yes, that post was for Valeyard...sorry if most folks don't get the "in" joke...I guess you kind of had to be there.
Old 11-18-07, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by John Hodson
That's the mother of all sweeping generalisations. And pure conjecture.
Since when have any of the pro-colorization folks on this board provided hard data to prove their claims that colorization itself has actually resulted in increased appreciation for old movies? (And I don't mean that to be entirely snarky. It's a study that's waiting to be made.) On the whole, I'm much more respectful of Baracine's position -- i.e., that it provides a sort of Dadaist reimagining of the original film.
Old 11-18-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ambassador
Since when have any of the pro-colorization folks on this board provided hard data to prove their claims that colorization itself has actually resulted in increased appreciation for old movies? (And I don't mean that to be entirely snarky. It's a study that's waiting to be made.) On the whole, I'm much more respectful of Baracine's position -- i.e., that it provides a sort of Dadaist reimagining of the original film.
Yeah. I went to a 35mm screening of Casablanca at a theater in a rural part of north Georgia and it was still a packed house. The audience was a wide mix of teenagers my age at the time (this was 2004) to older folks those who very possibly saw it when it originally came out. The only sounds I heard were laughs at all the right parts and applause at the end (!).

Of all the people I know who like B&W classics, it was NOT the color versions. Generally, the people who don't like B&W classics wouldn't like them anyways because they're old.

Last edited by PatrickMcCart; 11-18-07 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-18-07, 12:10 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ambassador
Please... Choose your words more carefully. Nowhere in my long rave have I said anything about the colourization being "Dadaist"! Not in words and not in meaning, either.
Old 11-29-07, 12:39 PM

20 million miles from Earth colorized in Blue Ray

Take a look in the screen capture on DVD Beaver: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...th_blu-ray.htm

Seens OK, but the title openning, showing the planet Earth seens a great mess. The continents are very poor traced, with color very unstable, and the poles don't have the white shade it shoud. The fog around the plante seens to have done just over the same ocean color, very unrealistic

By BetoDarce

The simple and pooly painted green on the continents make it look like a poor hand painted film from 1905.
Sorry Barry, the rest seens fine, but just this oppening that is bad.

We see the plante had low contrast with just minor tonality difference from continents to the water, and I preume the Legend Films algorithms didn't managed to separet it well. If we increase the contrast the detection of those edges get easier. So it was only required that the software algorith woul "see" the image as a contrating image, but the contrast of final product would be keeped.
Old 11-29-07, 05:09 PM
Suspended

Take a look in the screen capture on DVD Beaver: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...th_blu-ray.htm

Seens OK, but the title openning, showing the planet Earth seens a great mess. The continents are very poor traced, with color very unstable, and the poles don't have the white shade it shoud. The fog around the plante seens to have done just over the same ocean color, very unrealistic

By BetoDarce

The simple and pooly painted green on the continents make it look like a poor hand painted film from 1905.
Sorry Barry, the rest seens fine, but just this oppening that is bad.

We see the plante had low contrast with just minor tonality difference from continents to the water, and I preume the Legend Films algorithms didn't managed to separet it well. If we increase the contrast the detection of those edges get easier. So it was only required that the software algorith woul "see" the image as a contrating image, but the contrast of final product would be keeped.
Alfred, to be fair, you can only see this is Planet Earth in the colour version.

Old 11-29-07, 10:11 PM

Alfred, to be fair, you can only see this is Planet Earth in the colour version.
Come on Baracine... I Like colorization too and thinks Barry is going fine. But this particular scene it's horrible. Barry's tools can do bether, if properly used and adjusted. The colorist responsible for this scene needs to get a advertence or get more ability or patience.
Don't tell me the planet is well colored, please. Don't make me colorize it myself (the still) with apropriated colors details.

--
Old 11-29-07, 10:21 PM

The colorist practically created a new continent between USA and Brazil, bellow the letter O of the word Million and. He also added a giant green-zone in North Pole. Without speak about ocean with some green and Canada with blue.
Is Canada more cold than North Pole??? I think Santa Claus is happy with sun glasses :-)

---
Old 11-29-07, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Those caps from 20 Million Miles to Earth (outside the title card) look like a much better color job than It's a Wonderful Life. Still it has a long way to go.
Old 11-30-07, 07:30 AM
Suspended

Come on Baracine... I Like colorization too and thinks Barry is going fine. But this particular scene it's horrible. Barry's tools can do bether, if properly used and adjusted. The colorist responsible for this scene needs to get a advertence or get more ability or patience.
Don't tell me the planet is well colored, please. Don't make me colorize it myself (the still) with apropriated colors details.

--
Alfred, as usual, I have no way of knowing whether you own this DVD or have even seen it. Suffice it to say that this scene would have been improved 100 % if the grain had been totally eliminated from the orignal B&W footage. It must have been like colourizing porridge.
Old 11-30-07, 08:42 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Drop
Those caps from 20 Million Miles to Earth (outside the title card) look like a much better color job than It's a Wonderful Life. Still it has a long way to go.
Actually, It's A Wonderful Life is a much more complicated, involved, researched and successful project than 20 Million Miles to Earth.
Old 11-30-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, It's A Wonderful Life is a much more complicated, involved, researched and successful project than 20 Million Miles to Earth.
It can be as researched and complicated as it wants, but to my eyes those colors look more appropriate and better incorporated. It helps that 20 Million Miles to Earth is a monster film, so those vivid and surreal colors work.

Whereas It's A Wonderful Life also looks like a monster film, but it isn't one.
Old 11-30-07, 03:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Drop
It can be as researched and complicated as it wants, but to my eyes those colors look more appropriate and better incorporated. It helps that 20 Million Miles to Earth is a monster film, so those vivid and surreal colors work.

Whereas It's A Wonderful Life also looks like a monster film, but it isn't one.
Imagine how much more detailed and nuanced your opinion would be if you actually saw the DVDs in question!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.