Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Kicking and Screaming coming soon from Criterion?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Kicking and Screaming coming soon from Criterion?

Old 03-03-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd_luver
And if it was, I would be ROTFLMFAO!
" The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films"

... that SHOULD say it all.

Both have been announced, as well as the Kurosawa transfer updates. However, no official street dates have been announced, as far as I know - except for vague lines like "summer" and "later this year".
Old 03-04-06, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Both titles have been officially announced.

When's the release date?

What are the special features?

What are the specs?

see....nothing "official" yet my friend All we know is that it's coming...
Old 03-04-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChristianB
When's the release date?

What are the special features?

What are the specs?

see....nothing "official" yet my friend All we know is that it's coming...
Criterion has officially announced that these titles are on their way. I never said that they offered specific information in regard to the releases (though you can expect Dazed and Confused in June), nor do they have to for an announcement to be an official one.

Perhaps the release date, special features and specs haven't been officially announced, but the titles have been.

-JP
Old 04-01-06, 09:39 PM

Bump...

Anyone seen Criterion cover art for this?

CS
Old 04-01-06, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nope, in fact Criterion has pulled down the pages and artwork for Dazed & Confused and the other June titles. I hope this doesn't mean a delay.
Old 04-02-06, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
This is really a strange choice for them...it's a remarkably underwhelming and cliched film...I'd much rather see SubUrbia for god's sake - what do we have to do to get that on DVD?!?!?!?
Old 04-02-06, 03:43 AM

You gonna pick that up? I'm sure there are pooper scooper laws around here. Criterion has something for everyone.

See also:

-Salo
-Armageddon
-The Rock

etc...
Old 04-02-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
how is that a threadcrap? I think it's an odd choice for Criterion....don't think it's all that great a movie....so sorry to sully your precious little thread
Old 04-03-06, 01:40 AM

Sorry if I flew off the handle. Basically, all I'm saying is that Criterion uses much wider parameters than perhaps we'd like them to. I consider Brazil to be worthy of the treatment, but not, say, the aforementioned Armageddon. Even more aggravating is when a director gets world-class Criterion treatment, but due to one of his/her films being from a Criterion-unfriendly studio, the chances of that film getting the CC treatment are nil.

E.G. Terry Gilliam: The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Jabberwocky
Whit Stillman: Barcelona, The Last Days of Disco
Alfred Hitchcock: The Paradine Case (wait, why didn't that one get the CC treatment again? Missed opportunity...)

So I'm putting my flamethrower down, but again I want to emphasize that Criterion's choices for their films aren't always what you'd expect (or want, in lieu of another beloved film!)

My hunch is that the selection committee at CC (is that how it works?) are big fans of Chris Eigemann and after their great DVD of Metropolitan, they went for another unreleased film in his oeuvre, K&S. Or more likely it's to coincide with Baumbach's The Squid & The Whale's acclaim and attention. There you go.

But I agree with you if you feel Mr. Jealousy isn't worthy.

Moving on...

CS
Old 04-03-06, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by BasiaMille
Or more likely it's to coincide with Baumbach's The Squid & The Whale's acclaim and attention. There you go.
Yeah, that's most likely the reason. Though, having Eigeman in the cast plus Baumbach's connections with Criterion regular Wes Anderson (they're close friends; Baumbach was a co-writer on Life Aquatic and Fantastic Mr. Fox, Anderson a producer on The Squid and the Whale) can't hurt matters.

-JP
Old 04-03-06, 05:33 AM

Speaking of Anderson, is the Bottle Rocket: CC ever going to see the light of day?
Old 04-03-06, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by BasiaMille
Speaking of Anderson, is the Bottle Rocket: CC ever going to see the light of day?
Nothing makes me salivate more than the thought of a CC release of this film.
Old 04-04-06, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MikeDeN2K
Nothing makes me salivate more than the thought of a CC release of this film.
Agreed.

I'd love for Wrestling Ernest Hemingway (which, to this date, has not been released on dvd) to be licensed by Criterion. But I believe it's a Warner Brothers film, and I read on another thread that WB doesn't allow their movies to be licensed by Criterion.
Old 05-19-06, 03:30 AM

Check it out: http://criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=349
Old 08-18-06, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 170 Likes on 121 Posts
So is anyone picking this up? Comes out next week apparently!
Old 08-19-06, 12:15 AM
Suspended

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDRev..._screaming.htm

Here is a review of the dvd
Old 08-20-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wish I knew what stores would carry it. When Dazed and Confused CC came out, I scoured both Best Buys, a coupld of Borders, a few indie video stores until I finally found a Coconuts that had it. What is it with these stores not carrying new Criterions?
Old 08-20-06, 04:20 PM

My local Best Buy is shite and doesn't carry any Criterions, period, although I rarely see them around in other locations. YMMV, I assume.

Borders has been having trouble getting Criterions on time over the past couple of months (if at all). Kicking and Screaming looks to be readily available, though. This is the first release of theirs I can recall being in a clear Amaray.
Old 08-20-06, 05:07 PM

Cosmic Bus, does this mean it looks like Borders is going to be carrying this in store on Tuesday?
Old 08-21-06, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

every best buy i have been in lately carries newer criterions for at least 3-4 months after release...
Old 08-21-06, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
My local Best Buy is shite and doesn't carry any Criterions, period, although I rarely see them around in other locations. YMMV, I assume.

Borders has been having trouble getting Criterions on time over the past couple of months (if at all). Kicking and Screaming looks to be readily available, though. This is the first release of theirs I can recall being in a clear Amaray.
Brazil came in a clear amaray, although it was in a box as well. I wonder if the new individual release of Brazil will keep the clear case.
Old 08-21-06, 04:34 PM

The number of Criterion releases that I have seen at the Best Buys near me has been dwindling considerably recently. Usually, if Best Buy will be carrying a forthcoming Criterion release in store they will list it as "Coming Soon" under "Store Pickup" and if it says "Not Available," it will probably not be available in store. Currently, the upcoming releases that are listed as "Coming Soon" are Seven Samurai (3 disc), the new Brazil box set, and Solo con tu pareja.
The Best Buy online inventory will only show the item as in stock if there are at least three copies. Border's online inventory search will show the item as in stock if there is at least one copy.
Old 08-21-06, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Atreus
Brazil came in a clear amaray, although it was in a box as well. I wonder if the new individual release of Brazil will keep the clear case.
Nope, they're going the digipak route. Expect something about the size of the Battle of Algiers set (or the new Seven Samurai edition).
Old 08-22-06, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Would you recommend this movie to someone who loved "The Squid & The Whale"? I haven't seen this and can't find it for rent, so I'm thinking of picking it up...

MATT
Old 08-22-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Would you recommend this movie to someone who loved "The Squid & The Whale"? I haven't seen this and can't find it for rent, so I'm thinking of picking it up...

MATT
I'm also wondering this...

Anyone?

= J

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.