Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Way Some People Treat Their DVD Collections...

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-02-06, 02:55 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I do a lot of data entry at my job. And I have a portable DVD player that I bring in to work every day so that I can listen to commentaries, movies I've seen plenty of times before, concerts, etc. over headphones.

A co-worker who sits nearby does the same thing. She has a friend with a large collection of movies, so Liz (my co-worker) asked to borrow a few for work. Liz brought in a huge binder of probably around 300 DVDs that her friend loaned to her. They were mostly recent action movies with a few comedies tossed in. As I looked through the binder, I asked Liz, "So they keep their entire collection in here?"

"Yes," she replied. "They threw out all the cases."

"Are you serious?" I asked incredulously.

"Yeah, my friend told her husband that since they lived in an apartment, they didn't have enough room so he had to throw them out. She said they saw some guy going through the dumpster later, opening all the cases to check if there were DVDs inside."

I have to admit that as a DVD collector, this story made me cry inside a little. I can understand putting your collection in a binder (even though it scratches them up a bit) for space reasons. But to toss out all the cases, sleeves and inserts? That seems totally bizarre to me. Not to mention that empty cases can be worth something in bulk. These people are obviously movie fans to have around 300 DVDs. I just can't understand their reasoning behind throwing out a substantial part of what, to me, makes collecting DVDs worthwhile.
Old 03-02-06, 03:10 PM

Some cases are very display worth alone. For instance the book of the dead releases would be just as cool if there were no dvds inside. So hopefully they didn't throw anything like that away.

Also, if I were the guy going through the dumpster I would have grabbed the cases and sold the art and cases seperatly. I am sure there is a market of second hand covers considering how many sites there are offering scans.
Old 03-02-06, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It basically depends to the owner. They are the one who owns their colelction, and they have all authority on what to do with their stuff
Old 03-02-06, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I guess some people just seem to care about the movie. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm about as anal as they come though
Old 03-02-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would agree that is the choice they made and it's the collection they got to do as they please. I wouldn't toss the art and the cases, probably brings the value of the collection down, quite a bit.

On ebay 300 dvds with cases, covers would probably fetch over $600+++ bucks alone for mainstream titles on a bad day.
Old 03-02-06, 04:16 PM

Oof! That story hurt me a little.

I'm a fellow anal-retentive, over-protective, geek-boy collector type so I can't imagine ever getting rid of the cases my DVDs came in. A good part of my enjoyment comes from the package art and its displayability. Yes, the film itself is the most important thing, but not the only important thing.

Besides, if you ever want to get rid of any of your movies, it'd be damn hard to get any amount worth the effort if all you have to sell is the disc itself.

My signif other KNOWS better than to go there, believe me. She'd go before any part of the collection did. I kid not.
Old 03-02-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
You know, I don't really think that's a bad idea. Some people just like their movies, without thinking of it as an appreciable collection. And since a good majority of DVD 'art' consists of poorly photoshopped floating heads....

I would have a problem getting rid of cool collectible cases though.
Old 03-02-06, 05:16 PM

I would do that myself if I knew it wouldn't diminish the value of the DVD itself. If he ever has to sell them for any reason, you've just destroyed any resale value at that point.
Old 03-02-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would never trash my DVD boxes...ever.
Old 03-02-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 572 Likes on 433 Posts
Originally Posted by Htom Sirveaux
"Yeah, my friend told her husband that since they lived in an apartment, they didn't have enough room so he had to throw them out. She said they saw some guy going through the dumpster later, opening all the cases to check if there were DVDs inside."
Danol?

Seriously though, even though I purchase tons of used DVDs, I still make an effort to make sure they're in good shape. I've also bought extra cases to swap out any torn ones.

Another problem that could arise is if they were broken into, a burglar could just grab the binder and run, vs having to pack up hundreds of cases.
Old 03-02-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This story makes me sad...

Kind of reminds me of a friend I have. My friend and I went to Wal-Mart together once awhile back and I bought a DVD. Somehow we started talking about slip-covers, I think the one I just bought had one, she proceeded to tell me how whenever she buys a DVD with a slip-case she just throws it away. That made me sad but at least she keeps the cases. I'll go out of my way to get a slip-case.

I can't see myself ever doing anything that absurd! Plus those binders scratch the DVDs!
Old 03-02-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldn't ever even consider such a thing. But I'm not suprised. I hear crap like this all the time. I read elsewhere last week where someone writes his DVDProfiler collection numbers on his cases. I couldn't even dream of writing on my DVD covers. I've learned to accept that some people are just born crazy.
Old 03-02-06, 06:14 PM

Not everybody has the shelf space for 300 dvds. Besides DVDs, and physical media in general won't be around forever.
Old 03-02-06, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Htom Sirveaux
But to toss out all the cases, sleeves and inserts? That seems totally bizarre to me.
Getting emotional over what someone else does with their DVDs seems bizarre to me.
Old 03-02-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ArchibaldTuttle
Not everybody has the shelf space for 300 dvds.
A regular old bookshelf can hold at least that much.

and physical media in general won't be around forever.
Yes they will. You can read all about it here.

Originally Posted by xage
It basically depends to the owner. They are the one who owns their colelction, and they have all authority on what to do with their stuff
True. But its still sad to see.

Back in the early days of the web I saw a picture of a guy who had his penis split all the way up to his abdomen (picture a hot dog cut lengthwise). He urinated from a tube. It was a voluntary "surgery", too. Saw it on Body Modifications Ezine (www.bmezine.com). I guess you could call it a forked penis...

That site had sooo much traffic they had to put the pictures in a pay area. Freak shows do that.

Anyway, long story short: just because you can do it, doesn't make it a good idea.
Old 03-02-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey, it saves space. More power to 'em. To each his own.
Old 03-02-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John-In-VA
Getting emotional over what someone else does with their DVDs seems bizarre to me.
...Exactly. Plus I live in an apartment in NYC, so I can totally sympathize. I would never do it, but then again, to each their own.
Old 03-02-06, 07:25 PM

I don't see what's the big deal about throwing out the cases. I have over 350 DVDs have trouble storing them due to space limitations. My options now are to keep my boxed sets intact but take the rest by putting them into quality suitcase type binders. Slappa makes several for DVDs that have two sleeves, one for the insert and the the DVD. The outside cover can be removed and folded on the spline and placed with the insert. Another option is to get resealable DVD slip bags that hold the cover art, insert and DVD. All that's left are the plastic cases. Into the recycle bin they go or give them to someone who wants them. That's what I plan to do.
Old 03-02-06, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts
I don't see what the big deal is either. For most of us, a DVD collection is like a library, but for many, it's just what you watch movies on.
Old 03-03-06, 02:46 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Guess they're just into the movies, but yeah that's something that I wouldn't do
Old 03-03-06, 03:04 AM

DVD's and cover artwork/cases are kind of like old vinyl records and their cases to me. I wouldn't throw either of them away because they are part of the complete package and protection.

Now I do understand why persons would to this because of space issues and actually have a friend that does this. He and his wife tease us about the 1400 DVD's we have in our living room, down our hallway, and now stacking up in corners because we've run out of room to store them on shelves. Soon enough I am expecting that my family will have to start storing the DVDs in slip cases and putting the artwork/cases in the attic.
Old 03-03-06, 03:49 AM

I had a roommate in college that threw away CD cases and artwork as soon as he bought a new album. He'd keep the insert, but throw away the artwork that was behind the tray in the jewel case.

I can understand wanting to stick your media in a binder to take up less space and for portability, but I could never understand throwing away part of the artwork. To me that's throwing away part of the album itself. I feel the same way about DVD cases.
Old 03-03-06, 04:56 AM

I have found myself in a similar predicament. I am pushing 3100 titles now and I have DVD's stuffed everywhere. I have come to the decision that storing in binders is the way I am going to have to go. I have picked up ten of the 264 capacity binders and started numbering each binder and each sleeve in the binder. When I am done I will begin the process of putting each disk in the binder and noting its location in DVDAfacianado, such as the DVD for "Things to do in Denver When You Are Dead" would be in Binder 3, Sleeve 142. Other than for space reasons, I am also doing this because during the last couple of weeks I have looked for certain DVD's, and it either took me forever to find, or I couldn't find it. This really pissed me off. Now I am keeping all my box sets, and special collectors editions out for display, and I won't throw away any cases, those I can store in boxes in the garage. And I am thinking if I have a case with no insert or booklet I'll just pull the cover art out and put it in a file box and save the blank case in storage under the house. So I'll see how this works. If it goes to hell, I guess I gotta get a bigger house.
Old 03-03-06, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As long as the binder serves as good protection - that is more of an ideal way of having a DVD collection then showing them off in the cases. It's the movie that matters, not the packaging and liner notes/inserts.
Old 03-03-06, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I did the binder thing, but reorganizing them with new additions was very annoying and time consuming.
Instead, I switched to tyvex sleeves (about $10 for 250 at BJs), which I pack into small file boxes ($7 for 2 at IKEA). Easy to organize, and takes up very little space.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.