Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Way Some People Treat Their DVD Collections...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Way Some People Treat Their DVD Collections...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-06, 07:34 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking for a DVD Rack of some sort to hold my DVD's. It needs to hold about 100-150 DVDs. Where do you guys get yours?
Old 03-03-06, 08:20 AM

Sounds like she probably just had a bunch of fullscreen crap movies anyway.
Old 03-03-06, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
It comes down to whether a person owns their video collection or their collection owns them.
Old 03-03-06, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by awmurray
True. But its still sad to see.

Back in the early days of the web I saw a picture of a guy who had his penis split all the way up to his abdomen (picture a hot dog cut lengthwise). He urinated from a tube. It was a voluntary "surgery", too. Saw it on Body Modifications Ezine (www.bmezine.com). I guess you could call it a forked penis...

That site had sooo much traffic they had to put the pictures in a pay area. Freak shows do that.

Anyway, long story short: just because you can do it, doesn't make it a good idea.
You made it longer, A freak who has his body modified has nothing to do with owning a DVD.

Sounds like your "sad to see" is an effect of Envy or some sort of a weird feeling why you end up "Sad" for others ownership??
Old 03-03-06, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by xage
You made it longer, A freak who has his body modified has nothing to do with owning a DVD.
Maybe you should re-read it a few times and maybe then you can figure it out. Here's a hint: just because you can do it, doesn't make it a good idea.

Sounds like your "sad to see" is an effect of Envy or some sort of a weird feeling why you end up "Sad" for others ownership??
Yea I'm really envious. BTW, since when did envy become Envy? Or sad become Sad? Is the promotion to proper noun supposed to infer something Deep And Meaningful?

The sad comes in when people destroy their stuff. Of course they can do it, but throwing out all the boxes is certainly destroying their DVD collection at least to some extent (IMO, to a great extent). Especially since those 300 DVDs could easily fit on a bookshelf so the space savings isn't very big. I figure if you can buy 300 DVDs, you could probably get a bookshelf. Fuck, at least store the boxes under the bed instead of trashing them. Even Hank1215 who has 3100 DVDs isn't throwing out the boxes.
Old 03-03-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hell, I can't even bring myself to completely remove the shrink wrap from all my digi-paks and such.
Old 03-03-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm someone who throws away cases. I've lived in NYC for a long time in small apartments, and it's impossible to justify taking up half of my space with movies and CDs, so about a year or two ago I sold all of my music (a few thousand discs) and tossed the majority of my DVD cases (box sets and favorite movies I kept), switching the DVDs over to four binders. Honestly, I have few regrets about it. My space is more important to me than whatever completist or show-offy tendencies I might have (thankfully I've ditched these for the most part), and as a result my home is a much nicer -- and calmer -- place. If I did have the luxury of space, however, I would have absolutely kept them -- make no mistake.
Old 03-03-06, 12:48 PM

My sister does the same exact thing. She throws away all of her cases and has all 50 of her DVDs in one notebook. She told me she does it for space reasons. I shrugged, whatever. To each their own.
Old 03-03-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Johny Boy
My sister does the same exact thing. She throws away all of her cases and has all 50 of her DVDs in one notebook..
When people throw away disc cases, that is acceptable for space reasons, it's just plastic, I understand. When they toss away the box art, for let's say 300 dvds or any number really, all they need is a shoe box and a rubber band and they can keep the inserts or box art and always rebuy empty cases later.

That is more painful to hear about, artwork being tossed.
Old 03-03-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I put my collection in 2 case logic 300 piece binders. Space preservation man! Also, looking at all the boxes & such really made me feel like a tool of the man.
Old 03-03-06, 01:26 PM

That's what I did with my CDs. I have about 350 and got two 180 capacity suitcase type holders from Slappa. They are dual pockets. One for the insert and the other for the CD. I cut down the art on the back of the CD case to the same size as the booklet. Now two full drawers of CDs are now in two small suitcase size cases.

Now I'm working on my DVDs next. My CDs were alphabetized and since I don't by that much, I keep the new ones at the end. With DVDs, it would be a chore since I buy them often. Either buy a huge 500+ DVD rack, put them in DVD sleeves in a suitcase type holder or use resealable DVD cases just storing the artwork, insert and DVD. I may go with resealable DVD cases and storing them in one nice box.
Old 03-03-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Screw the cases. I can't believe she would loan her discs out!
Old 03-03-06, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
My thoughts exactly! I have trouble enough lending out one insignificant movie to people I know, much less my entire collection (granted, this probably does stem from an incident back in 2000 when I loaned my Austin Powers dvd to a friend and never got it back because we went to different universities the following year......... I still haven't replaced it..)!!
Old 03-03-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
It basically depends to the owner. They are the one who owns their colelction, and they have all authority on what to do with their stuff
True, but it tells me an awful lot about how they treat their dvds as to whether or not I lend mine to that person.

Originally Posted by dvd_luver
When people throw away disc cases, that is acceptable for space reasons, it's just plastic, I understand. When they toss away the box art, for let's say 300 dvds or any number really, all they need is a shoe box and a rubber band and they can keep the inserts or box art and always rebuy empty cases later.

That is more painful to hear about, artwork being tossed.
Studio art blows anyway. So thinking along these lines, you can download a new high quality cover for any movie on dvd, so if you ever need one it is there, along with empty cases.
Old 03-03-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FrancisRizzo3
I did the binder thing, but reorganizing them with new additions was very annoying and time consuming.
Instead, I switched to tyvex sleeves (about $10 for 250 at BJs), which I pack into small file boxes ($7 for 2 at IKEA). Easy to organize, and takes up very little space.
Pics/links of/to the sleeves and boxes? Sounds like a good way to organize - easy to alphabatize and flip through.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 03-03-06, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Personally, I wouldn't even spare a thought one way or the other how others treat their collection. Though, just the same, based on how one might go about it, I may not be lending them any of my own.

I enjoy displaying my collection too much to dump off any of the packaging aside from the DVD disc itself. I would however use a binder type storage case to store them if, one, I had a locking device and two .. if I could find such a storage device that didn't wreak havoc in the form of scratches to the discs. I haven't met a binder type storage solution that didn't do this is some form or another. Some of more frequently used cds I have had this problem. Since the laser reader for DVDs is smaller, then there's just too much risk. I've blown way to much money on DVD media to destroy it.
Old 03-03-06, 06:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually I'm more impressed/amazed about the fact (if I'm reading it right) someone would loan 300 DVDs to a friend... that's a hell of a friendship. I mean I don't mind people I know/work w/ borrowing my DVDs but unless it's family it's 1 DVD (or box set) at a time.
Old 03-03-06, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
Let alone lend out an entire 300 disc collection at once. Let's say she paid an average of 15.00 each, that's $4500.00 in one binder. If they got lost or stolen, she'd be screwed.

I agree with nemein, I can't think of anyone I'd trust enough to be careful with that many discs of mine at once. Holy crap.
Old 03-03-06, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I put my collection in 2 case logic 300 piece binders. Space preservation man! Also, looking at all the boxes & such really made me feel like a tool of the man.
You'll feel more like a tool when it takes someone 30 seconds to walk off with your entire DVD collection under their arm. At least they'd have to work to rip me off.
Old 03-03-06, 07:10 PM

I thought about getting rid of all my cases recently. Primarily for space reasons, but also because I found myself caring more about the condition of my cases than the actual movies within them. The only thing that prevented me from doing so was a fact other posters have mentioned - it absolutely kills the resale value of your DVDs.
Old 03-03-06, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think I would go so far as to do this with my DVD collection but I did it 10 years ago with my CD collection.

Every plastic CD case get thrown out. Then the insert and the CD go into a binder. I have 4 leather ones, 100 each. 4th ones almost full now, although I don't buy as many as I used to.
Old 03-03-06, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've pretty much stopped using CD boxes, but can't bear the thought of not having my DVD's out on a shelf- not to show off, but because I love just glancing over them while thinking about what to watch. There's a sense of squalor in flipping through a binder and you can't see more than a few discs at a time... I've noticed that I hardly ever even bother with my CD's anymore.

One thing about box art, though. Am I nuts or has cover art on DVD's really been sucking lately? They don't seem to use the film's poster art or alternate poster art, opting instead for the dreaded floating heads. I bet HD/BluRay have awesome cover art.... until the masses adopt it and back we'll go to floating heads.
Old 03-04-06, 02:09 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by nemein
Actually I'm more impressed/amazed about the fact (if I'm reading it right) someone would loan 300 DVDs to a friend... that's a hell of a friendship. I mean I don't mind people I know/work w/ borrowing my DVDs but unless it's family it's 1 DVD (or box set) at a time.
You read it right indeed. And not just loaning them directly to a friend, but letting them be borrowed out to others your friend works with is pretty cool indeed. According to Liz, they were kind of blase about loaning out their collection, and didn't even ask her to give them back anytime soon.

I asked Liz if she was sure that they threw out all the artwork and booklets that came with the DVDs, and she was pretty sure they did. For some others who were curious, I didn't notice anything in the collection that came with really unusual/collectible packaging that I could recall, but for what it's worth most of the movies seem to be widescreen.
Old 03-04-06, 08:45 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

See, in my eyes that's just plain wrong! But like others before me have sad - to each their own!

Me personally, I like having my DVD's on display with full art work and cases, and to me if the movie comes with a slip cover then that's an added bonus. Been slightly anal about my colletion too I have them in alpahabetical order, not only so I know where to find a certain movie, but also it helps keep track of everything I have. That way, when I do loan them out to family/friends (never more than a total of 5 at a time) then at least I know what titles are out.
Old 03-04-06, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I could never switch to binders. I did that when i only had about 40-50 dvd's. The problem was that some of them didn't get watched for a year or two, and when i went to pull them out it was like they were stuck to the page. And even some that weren't stuck got really dusty, I had to take about a dozen to get cleaned and resurfaced.

The other thing is when i am entertaining company, or when my wife wants to watch something, they usually don't know what the movie is about and they like to look through the cases. Plus, when i look at my collection on the wall, i get impulses to watch certain movies/tv. That would never happen with the binders.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.