DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   DVD's where you liked the Extras better than the Movie? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/456851-dvds-where-you-liked-extras-better-than-movie.html)

OldBoy 02-23-06 09:59 AM

DVD's where you liked the Extras better than the Movie?

I was wondering if you bought a DVD where you enjoyed the extras more than the actual film on it? I say 'bought' because when you own it, you own it for a reason. Should mostly be bought for the film, but I want to know if it turned out you like the extras better or even bought it just for the extras.

I can't think of one now, but I am hoping you guys jog my memory.

Upper pylon 3 02-23-06 10:19 AM

The music videos on the Top Gun SE.

dx23 02-23-06 10:25 AM

The extras on Pearl Harbor Vista Series

brainee 02-23-06 10:30 AM

Not too many that I've actually bought. A few that come to mind:

Alien3 -- an unusually candid and in-depth "making of"; highly recommended even if you were part of the crowd extremely disappointed in this after Aliens

Fast Company -- more of a curio in David Cronenberg's resume; the purchase was worthwhile for me by the inclusion of 2 early features, "Stereo" and "Crimes of the Future"

Knife in the Water -- not one of my favorite Polanki movies (maybe I've seen too many more recent movies with similar material for this to have its original impact); but Criterion packing this with tons of early Polanski shorts made it an easy purchase

The Bus 02-23-06 10:31 AM

Atlantis

Mr. Cinema 02-23-06 10:41 AM

The extras on Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes are far more entertaining and informative than his "vision".

speedyray 02-23-06 10:43 AM

I sold my copy of Black Hawk Down and purchased the 3 disc collection for the documentaries.

Also, the Aviator was good, but I would not own it if the Biography was not on the bonus disc.

kitkat 02-23-06 10:53 AM

Russian Ark.

Okay, I didn't buy this, I rented it (but I would pick it up if I found it cheap). It's sort of a wierd costume drama with hundreds of extras that was filmed in the Hermitage; it touches on centuries of Russian history, and the whole thing was done in one shot. -eek- The movie is beautiful, but so-so; the Making Of doc is simply amazing.

RobCA 02-23-06 10:54 AM

Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter

The movie sucks, but Joe Bob Briggs' commentary makes it worth owning. :up:

Rob

illennium 02-23-06 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598
Should mostly be bought for the film

Why? :hscratch:

NitroJMS 02-23-06 11:36 AM

I would have to say Batman Forever and Batman & Robin fall into this category.

chente 02-23-06 11:49 AM

Wonderland for the bonus full-length Wadd documentary and the actual crime scene footage. Not for the light of heart. The movie is pretty decent too.

BuddyRevell 02-23-06 11:51 AM

Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo

Nice auditions for the window washing scene and some of the interviews are pretty funny.

Johnny Boy 02-23-06 11:59 AM

Angel Heart SE. The movie is terrible, but the extras are so entertaining! And the interviews and commentary with Mickey Rourke are priceless. This DVD is worth getting JUST for the extras! It's why I own it. :)

Nesbit 02-23-06 12:02 PM

Vulgar

OldBoy 02-23-06 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by illennium
Why? :hscratch:

because i don't think too many people would actually purchase a DVD if they had no interest or like in the actual film. i think that would be a little absurd.

Numes 02-23-06 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
Should mostly be bought for the film, but I want to know if it turned out you like the extras better or even bought it just for the extras.

I would take exception to the fact that DVD's should just be purchased "Mostly for the film". There are many DVD's that I would not have purchased unless the extras looked intriguing enough to push me over the edge to buy it. (case in point, Pearl Harbor).

A few movies that I can think of where the extras were better than the movie:

Bad Taste: LE
Cannibal! The Musical
Wizards

Mondo Kane 02-23-06 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by RobCA
The movie sucks, but Joe Bob Briggs' commentary makes it worth owning. :up:

Let me add Samurai Cop to that mix!

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
The extras on Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes are far more entertaining and informative than his "vision".

No doubt. I'm a sucker for BTS make-up stuff and this is possibly the best I've seen. The screentests are great too.

Others:

Mallrats
Once upon a time in Mexico
Game of Death (HKL R2)
Cannibal Ferox
Creepshow 2 SE
Not another Teen movie
Scary Movie 3 (Love the commentaries on the deleted scenes)

GoldenJCJ 02-23-06 01:29 PM

I bought the Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas DVD mostly for the Hunter S. Thompson commentary

Ginwen 02-23-06 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I bought the Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas DVD mostly for the Hunter S. Thompson commentary

Me too, and it was well worth it. I don't enjoy the movie much but the commentary is excellent (in spite of the weird noises HST makes).

I bought all the following for the Joe Bob Briggs commentary, and all were worth it. Even though most of the movies are awful, the commentaries are really good (funny, but informative too as JBB always is). If he comes out with any more, I'll buy those too. I've never been disappointed by one of his commentaries.

Blood Shack (1971)
Blood Sisters (1987)
Hell High (1989)
Hell's Angels '69 (1969)
Hollywood Strangler Meets the Skid Row Slasher, The (1979)
I Spit on Your Grave - DTS Millennium Edition (1978)
Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies, The (1964)
Joe Bob Briggs Presents, Vol. 2 - The Double-D Avenger (2001)
Joe Bob Briggs Presents: Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter (1966)
Run, Angel, Run (1969)
Samurai Cop (1989)
Warlock Moon(1975)

Doughboy 02-23-06 02:41 PM

Legal Wreckin 4

TheMovieman 02-23-06 03:18 PM

Batman & Robin... Listening to Schumacher talk about that is pretty funny :p

mike7162 02-23-06 03:22 PM

Star Wars Ep. I - III.

GuruTwo 02-23-06 03:39 PM

Pretty much only the Schumacher "Batman" films come to mind.

Dvdlovr24 02-23-06 04:35 PM

While I didn't really care for Rent, I thought that the documentary on it was fascinating.