DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   water damage to dvd covers... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/456473-water-damage-dvd-covers.html)

veritas878 02-20-06 12:02 AM

water damage to dvd covers...

Does anyone know how to get those wrinkles out of a dvd cover after it gets wet? I had a nice little surprise when I came home today...half of my comedy section had water damage, and I have no idea how. The water krept up under the plastic case and soaked the bottom halves of the covers. I tried a blow dryer, but not to much effect...any suggestions? If not, they are getting game stopped...yes I am that anal...

ScottsdaleSaint 02-20-06 12:33 AM

depending on how wet they are, try gently removing them from the cases as they may peel off onto the plastic dvd covers. if you can do that without damaging them, gently blot the covers with a towel and then pick a book you don't give a crap about that has a little weight to it. put each cover in the book skip about two or three pages and then put another cover in. after finishing all the covers, put the book under a substantial amount of weight, and pray. let dry over a span of several days, and check 'em out.

i've had varying degrees of success with water damage (collected comics, cd's, and dvd's at varying times), so i've had to deal with the dreaded H2O way more than i care to think about.

good luck.

gutwrencher 02-20-06 09:41 AM

This is why I started using re-sealable sleeves for most of my dvds in the library. Paranoid? Maybe. But if something ever happens....my dvds are....(cough)...covered.:D

TomOpus 02-20-06 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by veritas878
I had a nice little surprise when I came home today...half of my comedy section had water damage, and I have no idea how. The water krept up under the plastic case and soaked the bottom halves of the covers.

Ok, how the hell do you get water damage bad enough to soak half the cover and you have no idea how it got wet? Nothing else is wet? Just the DVDs (and only the comedy section at that)?

Something doesn't seem right.

dvd_luver 02-20-06 11:54 AM

I remember a few years back, I had brought a few of my dvd's into my basement and left them on the floor, I was checking out an old TV set, and later the basement flooded a little because of a faulty sunk pump. My dvd covers were ruined.

Water damage is the worst.

surfingelectrod 02-20-06 12:12 PM

My Star Wars Episode III dissapeared for a few days, and I didn't notice it. When I found it, the cover was water damaged and wrinkled up pretty bad. The inside of the case is fine, though... Is there any way I can get rid of the wrinkles from a dry water damaged insert?

OldBoy 02-20-06 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by surfingelectrod
dry water

that's truly an oxymoron.

surfingelectrod 02-20-06 04:56 PM

I meant that it was water damaged, but was now dry.

JCFantasy23 02-20-06 04:58 PM

If it got badly wet NOTHING will help. My son, then three, took his Blues Clues dvds outside with him and left them on the picnic table. It rained. They got wet. And they got ruined. A year later they still look horrid, white spots, wrinkled, faded print and graphics.

I'd suggest printing out some nice custom covers, or else scans.

veritas878 02-20-06 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Ok, how the hell do you get water damage bad enough to soak half the cover and you have no idea how it got wet? Nothing else is wet? Just the DVDs (and only the comedy section at that)?

Yeah..thats what I said...I'm still trying to figure it out. I guess it could of been worse, it wasn't the Criterion shelf at least.

hugo1000faces 02-23-06 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus

I think I know how it happened. Ever see the movie Christmas Vacation? :)

johnglad 02-23-06 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by ScottsdaleSaint
try gently removing them from the cases as they may peel off onto the plastic dvd covers. if you can do that without damaging them, gently blot the covers with a towel and then pick a book you don't give a crap about that has a little weight to it. put each cover in the book skip about two or three pages and then put another cover in. after finishing all the covers, put the book under a substantial amount of weight, and pray. let dry over a span of several days, and check 'em out.

He is right on. I have done comics and dvds for years and tried lots of different stuff. Letting the rest of the water soak into the paper in the book (as described above) is your best shot at keeping them in a nice state. With very wet items a "hot dry" or "quick dry" as a hair dryer or the hot sun would do often will leave paper with the bubbled, cracked, wrinkled and faded option you really don't want.

Before I would sell them, I would certainly try your hand with some premium printer paper and do some online scans and prints. A lot better than spending all the money to replace them. All the best.