Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wonder Years is in the works!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Wonder Years is in the works!

Old 10-12-14, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: The Wonder Years is in the works!

Really debating how to go with this set:

1) The locker is great for extras but unsure if I need all that stuff. My main concern there (judging from some unboxing videos on Youtube) is that they discs in those sleeves will get totally scratched up. For the price I want these things to last awhile. I saw somebody online really having to yank the discs out of the sleeves in the locker package.
2) The three season set seems to be the better way to go as they are packed in regular dvd cases but I wonder how much the second wave is going to cost?
3) Buying them retail seems like it would be as pricey as getting them from Time Life. I mean, the first season is only a few episodes and it is $20. I imagine the other season sets will be closer to $40. If that's the case might as well go for the Yearbook set.

oh choices...choices...
Old 10-13-14, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up ordering Seasons 1-3 with the Yearbook. I'm not really interested in having the huge locker and all of the collectibles that come with it; not only do I not have room for it, but I'm not interested in paying that much for the series. I posted this earlier, but apparently the individual season one set doesn't include some of the special features that are present on the complete series set and the season one discs that are included on the package deal with the yearbook. Seems like a no brainer given the options.
Old 10-13-14, 08:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Costco has season a season 1 and 2 bundle for around $29.
Old 10-14-14, 12:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted this earlier, but apparently the individual season one set doesn't include some of the special features that are present on the complete series set and the season one discs that are included on the package deal with the yearbook.
It appears that all seasons discs have the same contents (makes sense - it's unlikely that they would produce different individual discs for different sets)

The difference with the complete set is that it comes with another disc (or discs) with additional content.
Old 10-14-14, 12:11 PM

Costco has season a season 1 and 2 bundle for around $29.
What is the packaging like for this? Is it the two sets taped together or special packaging?
Old 10-14-14, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by albert_m
The difference with the complete set is that it comes with another disc (or discs) with additional content.
I haven't bought anything yet, but I hope they're planning a complete series set that doesn't include the bulky locker but does enclose all extras. I'm generally not all that interested in extras, but this show is an exception.
Old 10-14-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by albert_m
It appears that all seasons discs have the same contents (makes sense - it's unlikely that they would produce different individual discs for different sets)

Just so you and others are aware, I wasn't pulling that out of thin air. With respect to the three-season bundle TVShowsOnDVD reported the following:

Also making this offer more attractive than the individual Season 1 set is that it will include the "never-before-seen outtakes of Kevin and Winnie's first kiss," which we've learned will be missing from the general retail release for The Wonder Years - Season 1. Other on-disc extras will be included on that item, but the clearances for the kissing outtakes actually came through too late for a retail release such as it. However, direct-sales releases like the Seasons 1-3 Collection set, and all three versions of The Complete Series set, have later deadlines and so the kissing outtakes were able to be included without causing a release date delay. We're told to expect a studio press release soon, which we hope will include a better explanation that we could word it. But that's the gist of things. Our thanks to various readers, including "Anthony," for their help with this story.
That's why I mentioned it before and mentioned it again because if true that might sway people toward the three season bundle over the individual releases.
Old 10-15-14, 08:38 AM

Just so you and others are aware, I wasn't pulling that out of thin air. With respect to the three-season bundle TVShowsOnDVD reported the following:
Sorry, I had actually read that story, but forgot about that unique situation. I'm actually having a hard time deciding what route to go. I do know that I don't have any interest in the locker and expect that they will have a more conventional box down the road, but if the individual sets are in standard DVD cases (which they appear to be from the 3 set picture and the retail release) then I'm ok with that. I would like the separate disc bonus material though.

I'm wondering if they would actually follow up on the 3 season + yearbook deal with the last 3 seasons + additional content disc...
Old 10-15-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No problem, I just wanted to make sure it was clear since I know the lack of special features on the standalone might affect people's decisions. My set is scheduled to be deliver on Saturday so I can confirm if they're in standard DVD cases or not. I imagine at the very least they'll release the remaining three seasons individually if not as a package deal.
Old 10-15-14, 11:46 PM

I decided to go with the 3 season/yearbook deal since I had read that is also comes with one of the separate discs of additional content.
Old 10-16-14, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, what is the best way to get the entire series, including all/most extras, in the smallest possible DVD-shelf-fitting package?
Old 10-18-14, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has somebody already received the Seasons 1-3 set with the Yearbook and can confirm that one of the four additional bonus discs is included?

Personally, I still hope for a complete set in normal packaging with the four additional sets. I waited so many years; I'll wait for another few months if necessary.

Also, how is the picture quality? I read some very negative reviews on amazon.

thanks
Jeff
wonder-years.tv
Old 10-18-14, 06:54 AM

has somebody already received the Seasons 1-3 set with the Yearbook and can confirm that one of the four additional bonus discs is included?
I had read a comment somewhere stating the package included the first bonus disc. I think it may sit in the yearbook and there are slots for the other discs.

My set should arrive next week. I'm hoping that they do a seasons 4-6 with the other discs, but we'll see...

Also, how is the picture quality? I read some very negative reviews on amazon.
I've not ready anything good about the picture quality, but I'll take it over nothing.
Old 10-19-14, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seasons 1, 2, and 3 all come in standard DVD cases. The bonus disc that includes the Pilot outtakes, etc. comes in its own standard DVD case and actually has its own unique cover art and UPC.
Old 10-19-14, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by kstublen
Seasons 1, 2, and 3 all come in standard DVD cases. The bonus disc that includes the Pilot outtakes, etc. comes in its own standard DVD case and actually has its own unique cover art and UPC.
could you make a picture? that would be awesome!

and does the additional bonus disc contain all of these extras? This would mean that it is identical with the 1st of the 4 bonus discs of the complete set

16 Years Later: The Wonder Years Cast Reunion, May 28, 2014, In Los Angeles, California (SD, 51:56)
Pilot Episode Outtakes: The First Kiss – With Commentary By Danica McKellar & Fred Savage (SD, 19:44)
When A Man Loves A Woman: Kevin & Winnie Forever (SD, 29:55)
Interviews:
Neal Marlens And Carol Black, Creators (SD, 30:37)
Dan Lauria – Jack Arnold (SD, 22:18)
Alley Mills – Norma Arnold (SD, 23:31)
Old 10-19-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, no problem. Here they are (spoilered for size):

Front:
Spoiler:

Back:
Spoiler:

Disc:
Spoiler:

So yes, all of those special features are present on this disc and based on the disc art it looks identical to Disc 1 of the Special Features. My guess (and hope) is that they will either release the special features on the remaining bonus discs onto later pressings of Seasons 4, 5, and 6 or release another bundle with the additional special features.
Old 10-20-14, 06:47 AM

cool, thanks a lot! May I use these pictures for the Wonder Years website I have? Of course I'd gladly give you credit for them (just send me your real name via private message if you like me to use it)

and now let's hope for a seasons 4-6 box with the remaining 3 discs.
Old 10-20-14, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like that's the way to go for compactness. As much as I like the locker, I just can't waste the space to accommodate it. I probably wouldn't, even if I had the space.
Old 10-20-14, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bagdadjeff
cool, thanks a lot! May I use these pictures for the Wonder Years website I have? Of course I'd gladly give you credit for them (just send me your real name via private message if you like me to use it)

and now let's hope for a seasons 4-6 box with the remaining 3 discs.
No problem. You can use the pictures. I don't need credit for them though and would prefer not to have my username out there like that actually, but thanks for the offer.
Old 10-22-14, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fred Savage and Danica McKellar coming up on this morning's "The View" on ABC-TV.

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-view/episode-guide

Last edited by Xbox69; 10-22-14 at 09:14 AM. Reason: added link
Old 10-25-14, 07:20 AM

My order arrived yesterday. I got the 3 season/yearbook set and that also comes with the first bonus disc. While the video quality varies from acceptable to well, kind of sad at times, I am very happy. It's great to have this with most of the music.
Each of the standard dvd cases has little write ups & comments on each episode. The Yearbook is nice. I'm glad that it came with the first bonus disc because it has the full reunion. I haven't watched it yet. I sat down last night and enjoyed disc 1 of season 1.
Old 10-28-14, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My DVD Talk review of The Wonder Years - The Complete Series is now available.

I strongly feel this is the best and most worthwhile DVD release of 2014. For series fans this is a must-own release.
Old 10-28-14, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

Nice job with the review. Very thorough.
Old 10-28-14, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I know most here are passing on the locker because of lack of space, but if I get this set, I will go the full Monty. Hopefully during the Holidays Time Life will have some kind of sale. Last time I bought anything from them was the Six Million Dollar Man set during the Holidays and it was on sale.
Old 10-29-14, 05:50 AM

nice review!

as you probably know, according to a fan-created music guide, the following songs were potentially played on The Wonder Years as well but are not mentioned on the list of cleared songs. Does anyone by chance have an opportunity to check this out?
  • Buckle Up For Safety, Buckle Up –- The National Safety Council (Episode 3/1.03 "My Father's Office")
  • Silent Night -- Glen Campbell and Cher (Episode 9/2.03 "Christmas")
  • Auld Lang Syne -- Guy Lombardo (Episode 36/3.13 "She, My Friend and I")
  • Amazing Grace -- Judy Collins (Episode 41/3.18 "Faith")
  • How Much Is That Doggie In The Window -- Patti Page (Episode 61/4.15 "Buster")
  • Back Off Boogaloo -- Ringo Starr (Episode 96/6.03 "Scenes from a Wedding")

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.