Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Wonder Years is in the works!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Re: The Wonder Years is in the works!

Oh yes, Cara, the sultry down-home temptress at the lake.
Old 02-16-14, 09:39 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I wasn't into TV much back when this originally aired. Have halfheartedly watched episodes here and there over the years but never really fell in love with it like so many others do. Just watched S1E1 on Netflix for the DVDTalk Annual Challenge and it moved me more than I thought it would. I'm leaning towards picking the set up now, although I'm sure I'll wait for the ~$10 per season price point as always.
Old 02-16-14, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

From the press release:

"As it did for China Beach, StarVista Entertainment/Time Life is painstakingly securing the rights for virtually every song in The Wonder Years. From Cocker's theme song, to hundreds of other memorable and classic soul, rock and pop songs, including classics from The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Smokey Robinson, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison and many others, StarVista /Time Life recognizes the necessity to release the series as it was initially broadcast, un-edited and untouched from original broadcast masters." (emphasis mine)

What I'm wondering is whether S2E1, "The Heart of Darkness," will be the episode as it originally aired, or if it will be the "reconstituted" version that aired in syndication. In its original airing, the word "fart," which was used three times in fairly rapid succession, was edited out of the episode (which, if legend is to be believed, was pretty much the reason for series creators Black and Marlens' quitting the show). The word was put back in the syndicated episode, but the press release does say "as it was initially broadcast," so I'm curious.

Incidentally, this is one of the episodes that has had music other than the main title song replaced in its Netflix version. The last scene of the episode originally used "Here Comes the Sun" by Richie Havens; now there's some song about another sun lighting a new day or something to that effect.
Old 02-16-14, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm normally not into extras, but I sure hope they go whole-hog on the extras for Wonder Years. Interviews, behind-the-scenes footage, etc., etc., etc.

Just as an aside, another of my favourite episodes, though it's a bit uneven with the whole Ms. White (er, Mrs. Heimer) giving-birth symbolism, is the junior-high graduation episode. As I mentioned before, the schoolyard reminiscence scene is extremely moving, but I also love the tension between Kevin and Paul after Paul reveals he's going to a prep school, and Paul's amazing valedictory speech, which brings the two friends together again with a shared smile. Plus, the coda, when Kevin and Paul meet Winnie on the sidewalk, and they look forward to summer and anticipate the autumn, when they start high school and get their driver's licences. In one of the most virtuoso technical scenes of the series (which I couldn't find on Youtube), the camera cranes up and out from the three convivial friends as a special version of Cocker's theme song suddenly bursts to life and the shot fades to black. Anyone else recall that scene and episode as vividly as I do? I've seen it many times.

And, I think it was at about that time in the series's run (seasons 3 and 4) that Fred Savage was at his absolute best and most natural. In early Wonder Years episodes, Savage was a tad too green, and in the final season or two he was too self-consciously sardonic.
One of the most organic, unaffected bits of acting I have ever seen from anyone in anything is from the end of the "broken leg" episode, when Kevin climbs onto the roof of Winnie's house and looks into her bedroom window. He stares at her with ineffable adoration and, when her eyes meet his, he mouths "I love you". A truly breathtaking performance from Savage. Here's the entire final scene:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CIeWfGFfuAA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-16-14, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I'm normally not into extras, but I sure hope they go whole-hog on the extras for Wonder Years. Interviews, behind-the-scenes footage, etc., etc., etc.

Just as an aside, another of my favourite episodes, though it's a bit uneven with the whole Ms. White (er, Mrs. Heimer) giving-birth symbolism, is the junior-high graduation episode. As I mentioned before, the schoolyard reminiscence scene is extremely moving, but I also love the tension between Kevin and Paul after Paul reveals he's going to a prep school, and Paul's amazing valedictory speech, which brings the two friends together again with a shared smile. Plus, the coda, when Kevin and Paul meet Winnie on the sidewalk, and they look forward to summer and anticipate the autumn, when they start high school and get their driver's licences. In one of the most virtuoso technical scenes of the series (which I couldn't find on Youtube), the camera cranes up and out from the three convivial friends as a special version of Cocker's theme song suddenly bursts to life and the shot fades to black. Anyone else recall that scene and episode as vividly as I do? I've seen it many times.
I have many "favorite" episodes but that one ranks right up there for me. The scene where Kevin sees the kids on the playground and realizes things have changed and will never be the same really hits me every time I see it. It was great timing on the show's part to film that scene just before Kevin and Paul had the inevitable voice changes/growth spurts.

Also I agree with you that I really hope they go overboard on extras for this one. Based on the Six Million Dollar Man and China Beach sets I'm sure they will have plentiful extras but for this show I would honestly love commentaries on every single episode from either the cast, producers, writers, etc. because I have always wanted to hear where they got the ideas to do certain things in the show that so many people relate to having happened in their own lives. An example would be when Wayne got his license and hilariously kept stepping on the gas each time Kevin tried to get in the car. I remember Jason Hervey (Wayne) on the old VH1 "I Love The 80's" show saying that his brother used to do that to him so that is where that idea came from. A buddy of mine who I rode to school with did the exact same thing so it was (painfully) hilarious to see Wayne do that (I could relate to Kevin a lot!). So that is why I hope they have either commentaries on each episode or at the very least a five minute or so recap (ala the Seinfeld sets) discussing how the episode came together.
Old 02-16-14, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Glad to see another who is so fond of that episode, and the playground scene in particular.

As for extras, copious commentary on each individual episode would be fantastic, but are we expecting too much?
Old 02-16-14, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Some favourite episodes of mine.

When David Schwimmer comes back from Vietnam and is all messed up and Wayne gives him his shirt.

When Kevin starts the walkout protest at school and everyone sings John Lennon's "Give Peace a Chance".

When Kevin stands up to a bully and works up the courage to punch him as hard as he could in the face, but misses and hits his shoulder.

I haven't seen the show in a good 16/17 years so I only remember bits and pieces, but I'm really looking forward to picking up the set. If only to see what Marilyn Manson was like as a teenager.
Old 02-16-14, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
^Glad to see another who is so fond of that episode, and the playground scene in particular.

As for extras, copious commentary on each individual episode would be fantastic, but are we expecting too much?
Time Life did a fantastic job with the Six Million Dollar Man set and I know the China Beach set was pretty loaded as well. I expect no less for one of the most sought after shows from the 90's.
Old 02-17-14, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
Some favourite episodes of mine.

When Kevin starts the walkout protest at school and everyone sings John Lennon's "Give Peace a Chance".
The above is one of my favourite episodes. However, is the pilot that pulled me to the show and got me hooked.
Old 02-18-14, 10:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When David Schwimmer comes back from Vietnam and is all messed up and Wayne gives him his shirt.
That's a great episode, but it wasn't David Schwimmer. I don't remember who it was, but Schwimmer played his sister's boyfriend in a few episodes if I recall...
Old 02-18-14, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Yes, and husband. I didn't care for Schwimmer as Karen's spouse. I thought John Corbett, who played an earlier boyfriend (with the VW van), was a more appropriate fit.
Old 02-18-14, 06:28 PM

Along with everyone else here, I couldn't be happier about this news. Gives me hope for a possible WKRP release.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/O_klEA7EVXc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Above clip is one of my favorite moments in the series and is from the episode " Don't you know anything about Women? " The beauty of this episode is that Winnie doesn't show up in the episode until that moment in the clip.
Old 03-03-14, 01:22 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Since word got out that we are releasing The Wonder Yearson DVD, we've been flooded with fan questions. Here's the behind-the-scenes scoop, straight from our production team:

How soon can I get The Wonder Years?
We are expecting the collection to start shipping early fall. We'll send out an email when the date is confirmed. Fans will have the opportunity to pre-order, confirming their place as one of the first to receive the collection.

Will the original music be included?
This show has been kept from DVD release for years due to music licensing rights. We are working with music publishers and record companies now to clear the path to include the series' original soundtrack, including the iconic theme song "With a Little Help from My Friends."

How many DVDs and episodes will be in the set?
We are releasing all 115 episodes on an estimated 20 DVDs. The number of DVDs may increase depending on the amount of bonus features we are able to create and acquire.

Will it be released on Blu-ray?
We do not have any plans for a Blu-ray release at this time.

Can you tell Winnie that I love her?
She already knows.
Old 03-03-14, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Thanks, dex14. I think it will be pricey.
Old 03-03-14, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm predicting the price range will be $149 up to $249.
Old 03-03-14, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What's the provenance on that info? What's the chain of custody between TVshowsonDVD and their source? Has it been properly vetted?
Old 03-03-14, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
What's the provenance on that info? What's the chain of custody between TVshowsonDVD and their source? Has it been properly vetted?
I can confirm that Winnie knows I love her.
Old 03-03-14, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk God

That information that dex14 posted was from the Time Life e-mail that they sent out today. I also received it.

TVShowsonDVD.com is owned by TV Guide and the editors of that site have direct dealings with the studios. They get all the news and press releases.
Old 03-03-14, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Now you're just acting like an idiot.
But I agree that it is good to see some actual real, verified info from the company releasing the set. I suppose a tweeted picture of Carrot Top with Jason Hervey would have proved sufficient to some.
Old 03-05-14, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As DJariya said, that was in an e-mail StarVista/Time Life sent out. I received it as well.
Old 03-05-14, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johnny Fever
Along with everyone else here, I couldn't be happier about this news. Gives me hope for a possible WKRP release.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/O_klEA7EVXc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Above clip is one of my favorite moments in the series and is from the episode " Don't you know anything about Women? " The beauty of this episode is that Winnie doesn't show up in the episode until that moment in the clip.
Yes! One of the best endings from the show. I also really enjoyed the ending to Goodbye (also from the third season).
Old 03-05-14, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

While the press release does say "un-edited and untouched" it also says they've obtained the rights to "virtually" every song, which makes me suspect there's a few they didn't get the rights to.

But hasn't this been available unedited on Netflix for a while now? Or are those edited episodes?

I just wonder (excuse the pun!) how many people are going to jump at this set - other series sets have sold well because the series wasn't available anywhere else - that's not the case here.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 03-05-14 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-05-14, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm predicting the price range will be $149 up to $249.
I agree, as the Get Smart and Six Million Dollar Man collections were both around $200 when they came out. I can't imagine The Wonder Years will be under $150.
Old 03-05-14, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by conscience
I also really enjoyed the ending to Goodbye (also from the third season).
Yeah, that one always get me a little choked up. It's so well-written. I love how it dawns on Kevin at the end that Mr. Collins, sick as he was (which he revealed to no one), recognized his effort and didn't hold his acerbic test answers against him. Diperna says, "Your test seems to have gone missing", and thus Kevin gets another chance to ace it, thanks to the benevolence of Mr. Collins.
Old 03-06-14, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
That information that dex14 posted was from the Time Life e-mail that they sent out today. I also received it.

TVShowsonDVD.com is owned by TV Guide and the editors of that site have direct dealings with the studios. They get all the news and press releases.
Guru Askew was mocking a certain member who refuses to believe that the Adam West/Burt Ward Batman series is coming to DVD despite the fact that it's been confirmed by Warner Bros. and TVShowsonDVD. Granted there's not an official press release of the DVDs for that series yet but it's been confirmed that it is coming to DVD.

Anyways, I'm interested in this set still. Depending on the price I may pick it up but if it's too high I might just wait and see if individual season sets are announced.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.